• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed lines you have travelled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MoleStation

Travelled south over the Leamside line on Sunday March 27th, 1988. We were on an HST from Newcastle to Bristol. It took ages to reach Tursdale/Ferryhill when we re-joined the ECML.

hermit

No doubt already mentioned, but my memorable trips would include:

- Bangor to Afon Wen, Barmouth - Corwen - Rhyl (North Wales Land Cruise);
- Sheringham - Melton Constable;
-South Lynn - East Rudham (brakevan trip);
- Aviemore - Forres;
- Dunton Green- Westerham;
- Taunton - Barnstaple Victoria Road;
- Dover Western Docks;
- Yatton - Cheddar;
- Matlock - Manchester Central.

Calthrop

Established Member
No doubt already mentioned, but my memorable trips would include:

- Bangor to Afon Wen, Barmouth - Corwen - Rhyl (North Wales Land Cruise);
- Sheringham - Melton Constable;
-South Lynn - East Rudham (brakevan trip);
- Aviemore - Forres;
- Dunton Green- Westerham;
- Taunton - Barnstaple Victoria Road;
- Dover Western Docks;
- Yatton - Cheddar;
- Matlock - Manchester Central.

Interestingly, you and I "match up" on a fair number of these: which strike me as quite "choice". "Bags" of yours above, which I've missed, are Aviemore -- Forres, Westerham branch, Dover Western Docks, and Yatton -- Cheddar. I did Bangor -- Afon Wen by regular scheduled service; as I've mentioned upthread, reckon that I may -- when extremely young -- have done Corwen -- Rhyl by "something in the Land Cruse ballpark": but feel hesitant about counting that, since I don't remember that stretch as such: just, lots of lovely scenery. Like you, I covered South Lynn -- East Rudham by brake van trip: likewise for me, Sheringham -- Melton Constable, in the line's very last days for freight, Dec. 1964 -- I just missed it passenger-wise, with pass. service withdrawn early-ish 1964.

Your mention of Yatton, brings to mind that junction's other branch, to Clevedon: I find upthread, that @Bevan Price has done that one -- me too, on a "railrover" ticket tour in summer 1965. On that "bash", I had a painful choice between being able to fit in Barnstaple -- Ilfracombe; and Yatton -- Clevedon. Opted in the end for the latter, although feeling that Ilfracombe would be a lot more interesting -- but Clevedon seen as more imminently threatened. The Clevedon branch was indeed in my estimation, the dullest British rural branch that I have ever travelled on (single-unit "dmu variant") -- for me, a totally "nothing" line. Re getting stuff in the bag, it turns out that I made the right choice, though -- and managed to do Barnstaple -- Ilfracombe five years later, in the line's final weeks of life.

hermit

Interestingly, you and I "match up" on a fair number of these: which strike me as quite "choice". "Bags" of yours above, which I've missed, are Aviemore -- Forres, Westerham branch, Dover Western Docks, and Yatton -- Cheddar. I did Bangor -- Afon Wen by regular scheduled service; as I've mentioned upthread, reckon that I may -- when extremely young -- have done Corwen -- Rhyl by "something in the Land Cruse ballpark": but feel hesitant about counting that, since I don't remember that stretch as such: just, lots of lovely scenery. Like you, I covered South Lynn -- East Rudham by brake van trip: likewise for me, Sheringham -- Melton Constable, in the line's very last days for freight, Dec. 1964 -- I just missed it passenger-wise, with pass. service withdrawn early-ish 1964.

Your mention of Yatton, brings to mind that junction's other branch, to Clevedon: I find upthread, that @Bevan Price has done that one -- me too, on a "railrover" ticket tour in summer 1965. On that "bash", I had a painful choice between being able to fit in Barnstaple -- Ilfracombe; and Yatton -- Clevedon. Opted in the end for the latter, although feeling that Ilfracombe would be a lot more interesting -- but Clevedon seen as more imminently threatened. The Clevedon branch was indeed in my estimation, the dullest British rural branch that I have ever travelled on (single-unit "dmu variant") -- for me, a totally "nothing" line. Re getting stuff in the bag, it turns out that I made the right choice, though -- and managed to do Barnstaple -- Ilfracombe five years later, in the line's final weeks of life.
Interesting overlaps indeed! I wonder who was following who.

I did Sheringham - Melton Constable in that strange period when it remained as a rather pointless survival after the closure of the rest of the M&GN system, served by Cravens DMUs.

Westerham, on a school trip, was notable for the fact that the Hastings diesel shot out of Polhill tunnel at a rate of knots and overshot the platform at Dunton Green by a considerable margin. Fortunately it set back and we could transfer to the waiting branch push-pull. All a bit worrying for a rather nervous schoolboy.

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes, I've always felt that retaining Sheringham -- Melton Constable for passenger, was weird; but it did mean its survival, long enough for us to do it ! If only it had been possible for the North Norfolk heritage outfit, to acquire and run the whole line S. -- M.C.; but life is seldom that obliging -- and one feels it likely that the wretched Philistine fun-travelling public, God bless them <D: would find Melton Constable and back, a boringly long journey.

I have a heartfelt love of the M & GN Joint -- part of my childhood for its last decade -- but to my regret, never had the chance to know it east of South Lynn; other than the last few surviving shreds in that portion of it, of which we've written above. I also managed to cover Themelthorpe -- Lenwade (and connecting-with, Wroxham -- Aylsham -- Themelthorpe) on a late-1970s railtour; but never got the southern or northern end of the Norwich City branch.

AndyW33

Just thought of another now closed and lifted line I travelled on - the Liverpool Riverside branch.

hermit

Yes, I've always felt that retaining Sheringham -- Melton Constable for passenger, was weird; but it did mean its survival, long enough for us to do it ! If only it had been possible for the North Norfolk heritage outfit, to acquire and run the whole line S. -- M.C.; but life is seldom that obliging -- and one feels it likely that the wretched Philistine fun-travelling public, God bless them <D: would find Melton Constable and back, a boringly long journey.

I have a heartfelt love of the M & GN Joint -- part of my childhood for its last decade -- but to my regret, never had the chance to know it east of South Lynn; other than the last few surviving shreds in that portion of it, of which we've written above. I also managed to cover Themelthorpe -- Lenwade (and connecting-with, Wroxham -- Aylsham -- Themelthorpe) on a late-1970s railtour; but never got the southern or northern end of the Norwich City branch.

This thread has prompted me to recall what was, in retrospect, a remarkable series of trips organised by the Cambridge University Railway Club in the mid-60s. As well as the East Rudham trip mentioned above, we did the M&GN line all the way from the Themelthorpe chord (then quite new) to Norwich City, and the remaining spur of the Midland link to the M&GN from Saxby as far as Edmondthorpe. There was also a trip up the Stoke Ferry branch from Denver.

If only I’d been more assiduous in taking notes and photographs. I don’t think we appreciated that we were really at the end of an era and that all these survivals would be gone in a very few years.

Calthrop

Established Member
I was at "the other place", seemingly just a little later than you. The Oxford University Railway Society was then, big on brake van trips: both close-by, and further-afield. I envy you your doings then; but I got some good stuff in that line, per OURS (my East Rudham venture, in 1967, was self-organised). Nonetheless, a couple of "possibles" for me from that time, which I nonetheless missed, still smart -- the tendency of wretched "life", to get in the way... I regret in that department, Didcot -- Compton -- Newbury; and the middle part of Oxford -- Princes Risborough: the two ends covered by me in later times, per railtours -- but for me, Morris Cowley to Thame might have been, but wasn't; and is gone for good.

Lost property

Exmouth - East Budleigh / Otterton

Altrincham -Chester Northgate

Brooklands-Broadheath-Warrington ( holiday special to Colwyn Bay..had to change at Chester on the way back as it went to Sheffield, apparently, via Skelton Junc )

Bangor -Carnarvon

Manchester - Hayfield

Last edited:

Matey

I may be wrong but nobody has mentioned the freight only High Dyke Branch. I photographed the Rail-tour visit in May 1972 at Skillington Road Crossing shortly before the line closed. Months earlier a driver of an iron ore train waiting to depart from the same spot invited self and 5 year old son up into the cab. He was interested that we had just returned from Malta and kindly moved the train a few yards just for my son. So I suppose that I can claim to have travelled on the line. Inncidentally, at the far end of the line was a GNR sommersault stop signal on a concrete post worked by a ground frame. The post, less signal arm was still there many years later.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Apologies as I haven't checked every post, but have Killin to Killin Junction and the Cromford and High Peak line (the latter having both the UK's sharpest curve and steepest adhesion-worked incline) been mentioned?

Revaulx

Not a lot:
Penrith-Keswick
Morecambe Prom (since cut back)
Blackpool North (ditto)
Bradford Exchange (ditto)
Rawtenstall (ditto)
Bits of the Oldham loop that the trams don't use
Bury Bolton Street from the south pre-Interchange
Bury and Altrincham lines if they count
Hadfield-Sheffield Vic
Manchester Central
Throstles Nest Juntion-Gorton (Fallowfield loop)
East Didsbury Metrolink-what is now the Hazel Grove Chord
Chinley-Matlock
Mickle Trafford-Chester Northgate
Bangor-Afon Wen
(almost certainly; I was only two) Whitchurch-Welshpool
March-Spalding
Gloucester Eastgate loop
Yate-Bristol TM (Midland route)
Bridport branch
Shanklin-Ventnor
Holborn Viaduct (since cut back)

Mat17

None - I don't think any routes in my area have been closed and lifted in the time I've been travelling - only the odd station like Brightside perhaps.

Not a lot has happened since the early 90s really.

Calthrop

Established Member
I may be wrong but nobody has mentioned the freight only High Dyke Branch. I photographed the Rail-tour visit in May 1972 at Skillington Road Crossing shortly before the line closed. Months earlier a driver of an iron ore train waiting to depart from the same spot invited self and 5 year old son up into the cab. He was interested that we had just returned from Malta and kindly moved the train a few yards just for my son. So I suppose that I can claim to have travelled on the line. Inncidentally, at the far end of the line was a GNR sommersault stop signal on a concrete post worked by a ground frame. The post, less signal arm was still there many years later.

I've wondered whether in this thread, people have on the whole been working in the assumption that it's essentially about lines which had been for most of their existence, meaningfully passenger-served (I note that the OP does not actually stipulate that: just that the line should be, at the present day, closed and lifted). At all events, very few posts have been about always-freight-only lines -- yours, one of the few exceptions. I mused upthread, about this re the Wenford Bridge line, which I did per brake van trip in I think, 1971 -- seems that nobody else has mentioned this line as part of their "haul". There have been one or two citings of the Cromford & High Peak line: if one wished to be highly "precious and particular", one could make a case for that having -- just -- been a passenger route: very early in its life, to the tune of one passenger working each way per day, mid-1850s to mid-1870s ! (I cannot recall to mind any line other than Wenford Bridge, which I have covered and which reckoned freight-only throughout its career.)

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
In the late 1960s I was on the RCTS Northampton Branch d.m.u. rail tour around the local area and this included the Kettering - Cransley (where the loco scrapyard was for a while) - Loddington. Apart from the later scrapyard the branch served an iron works and ironstone quarries but never had a regular passenger service. So the d.m.u. was the first passenger train ... and also the last, as it turned out.

What's not been mentioned, and I think is of interest, is re-visiting the trackbed of lines you remember travelling over, particularly if they were expresses. In the lockdown/exercise period, I walked the 'Nene Valley Walk (?)' - the footpath along the Northampton - Market Harborough alignment. I can clearly remember having a sleeping car berth from or to Northampton on the overnight, Brush-4 hauled, Glasgow service on more than one occasion but it was difficult to visualise it. Similarly, a recent visit to the cafe at Millers Dale in the former station building reminded me of journeys to Manchester when the train called there , with a connection to Buxton waiting - again, it seemed hard to visualise the activity with people changing trains in what's now a completely rural setting.

So much change, but then people think I'm quite old (don't see it myself...)

Ken H

On Moderation
I've wondered whether in this thread, people have on the whole been working in the assumption that it's essentially about lines which had been for most of their existence, meaningfully passenger-served (I note that the OP does not actually stipulate that: just the line should be, at the present day, closed and lifted). At all events, very few posts have been about always-freight-only lines -- yours, one of the few exceptions. I mused upthread, about this re the Wenford Bridge line, which I did per brake van trip in I think, 1971 -- seems that nobody else has mentioned this line as part of their "haul". There have been one or two citings of the Cromford & High Peak line: if one wished to be highly "precious and particular", one could make a case for that having -- just -- been a passenger route: very early in its life, to the tune of one passenger working each way per day, mid-1850s to mid-1870s ! (I cannot recall to mind any line other than Wenford Bridge, which I have covered and which reckoned freight-only throughout its career.)
or maybe its easier to get lines with a regular passenger service than goods lines. I dont think I have been on any goods lines ever. But then, railtours dont really interest me.

Established Member
or maybe its easier to get lines with a regular passenger service than goods lines. I dont think I have been on any goods lines ever. But then, railtours dont really interest me.
I’ve been on quite a lot of goods lines and all on parliamentary or diverted (so not exactly regular) passenger services, not railtours. Bring on Neville Hill - Church Fenton electrification so I can do Castleford - Burton Salmon Junction! :D

Ken H

On Moderation
I’ve been on quite a lot of goods lines and all on parliamentary or diverted (so not exactly regular) passenger services, not railtours. Bring on Neville Hill - Church Fenton electrification so I can do Castleford - Burton Salmon Junction! :D
I did castleford - Church Fenton in a diverted Cl 124 unit. Leeds-York non stop.

Roger1973

From memory -

Woodside - Selsdon (although don't think I ever did the Addiscombe branch - I was away from London for much of the 1990s)
Broad Street - Dalston
Moorgate - Farringdon (Midland / Widened Lines)
North Woolwich - Stratford
Tunbridge Wells - Eridge
Blackfriars - Holborn Viaduct
(if there any) bits of the Bury and Altrincham lines that didn't get turned in to Metrolink
the Windsor Lines station at Waterloo if that counts

Are the curves that allowed the Watford - Liverpool Street service to run when Broad Street closed still there?

There may well be others - I went on a number of railtours (many but not all involving Hastings Diesels) with my late father in the mid 80s and can't now remember them in detail - some did what were then freight only lines with closed stations (I know we did the Fawley and Ludgershall branches - not necessarily on the same day) but think these are both still in place. One or two railtours ventured in to the midlands and took in freight lines that may have since closed, but I'm not sure which ones.

London Underground -

Whitechapel - Shoreditch

(Aldwych branch and Charing Cross Jubilee Line presumably don't count as the track is still there. Again, I was away from London when the Ongar branch closed so never travelled on that in Underground days.)

DLR -

Mudchute - Island Gardens (viaduct) and there may be some bits of track round the original junction at Poplar that aren't there any more.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Colne - Skipton in 1968-69. Pretty line, lovely scenery, sparse passenger numbers but a surprising amount of freight traffic. Colne was a busy place in those days, unrecognisable now

Birkonian

During Whit weekend in 1988 there were steam hauled specials from Port Sunlight to Bromborough Dock along the old freight line. I remember my trip well. There were hopes that this would become a regular occurrence but the track was ripped up not long after. It became a footpath/cycleway which I use in the warmer months. There was a painting of the GWR tank engine used on display in Port Sunlight station for many years. I think it became damp and was removed.

marsker

This set me about thinking where I had been that's no longer with us and I came up with the following
Dufftown – Boat of Garten
Stanley Jc –Kinnaber Jc
Corstorphine branch
Tweedbank – Carlisle
St Boswells – Tweedmouth
Alnmouth-Alnwick
Morpeth – Reedsmouth Jc – Bellingham
Scotsgap – Rothbury
Benton NW & SW Curves
Woodhorn - Newbiggin
Newsham – Blyth
Monkseaton – Hartley
Callerton - Ponteland
Percy Main – Byker Jc via Riverside
Newcastle – Scotswood – North Wylam
Scotswood – Blaydon
Haltwhistle – Alston
Tyne Dock – East Boldon
Pelaw – Ferryhill
Ouston Jc – Consett
Consett – Waskerley
Consett – Blackhill – Browney Jc (Durham)
South Hylton – Newton Hall Jc (Durham)
Relly Mill Jc – Bishop Auckland
Wear Valley Jc – Crook
Stanhope – St Johns Chapel
Oak Tree Jc – North Road (Darlington)
Billingham – Haverton Hill
Haverton Hill – Stockton
North Road – Penrith
Barnard Castle – Middleton-in-Teesdale
Eryholme Jc – Richmond
Northallerton – Harrogate
Layerthorpe – Cliffe Common (DVLR)
Sheffield Victoria – Calvert
Chesterfield (GC) loop
Rugby – Peterborough (E)
Rugby – Wigston S Jc
Seaton – Luffenham
Culworth Jc – Banbury Jc
Gloucester Eastgate loop
Templecombe – Branksome
Alderbury Jc – Hamworthy Jc
Axminster – Lyme Regis
Seaton Jc – Colyford
Sidmouth – Tipton St Johns
Tipton St Johns – Exmouth
Smallbrook Jc – Cowes
Shanklin – Ventnor
Finally, I went on a school trip in 1961 when we got the 10.30 pm from Newcastle – Kings Cross. We were diverted via Lincoln and called at Grantham – so I think it must have used the line via Leadenham. We left Newcastle with 60046 Diamond Jubillee and arrived at Kings Cross with 60034 Lord Faringdon on the front, presumably swapped at Grantham – distant memories now.

Last edited:

Tester

This set me about thinking where I had been that's no longer with us and I came up with the following
Dufftown – Boat of Garten
Stanley Jc –Kinnaber Jc
Corstorphine branch
Tweedbank – Carlisle
St Boswells – Tweedmouth
Alnmouth-Alnwick
Morpeth – Reedsmouth Jc – Bellingham
Scotsgap – Rothbury
Benton NW & SW Curves
Woodhorn - Newbiggin
Newsham – Blyth
Monkseaton – Hartley
Callerton - Ponteland
Percy Main – Byker Jc via Riverside
Newcastle – Scotswood – North Wylam
Scotswood – Blaydon
Haltwhistle – Alston
Tyne Dock – East Boldon
Pelaw – Ferryhill
Ouston Jc – Consett
Consett – Waskerley
Consett – Blackhill – Browney Jc (Durham)
South Hylton – Newton Hall Jc (Durham)
Relly Mill Jc – Bishop Auckland
Wear Valley Jc – Crook
Stanhope – St Johns Chapel
Oak Tree Jc – North Road (Darlington)
Billingham – Haverton Hill
Haverton Hill – Stockton
North Road – Penrith
Barnard Castle – Middleton-in-Teesdale
Eryholme Jc – Richmond
Northallerton – Harrogate
Layerthorpe – Cliffe Common (DVLR)
Sheffield Victoria – Calvert
Chesterfield (GC) loop
Rugby – Peterborough (E)
Rugby – Wigston S Jc
Seaton – Luffenham
Culworth Jc – Banbury Jc
Gloucester Eastgate loop
Templecombe – Branksome
Alderbury Jc – Hamworthy Jc
Axminster – Lyme Regis
Seaton Jc – Colyford
Sidmouth – Tipton St Johns
Tipton St Johns – Exmouth
Smallbrook Jc – Cowes
Shanklin – Ventnor
Finally, I went on a school trip in 1961 when we got the 10.30 pm from Newcastle – Kings Cross. We were diverted via Lincoln and called at Grantham – so I think it must have used the line via Leadenham. We left Newcastle with 60046 Diamond Jubillee and arrived at Kings Cross with 60034 Lord Faringdon on the front, presumably swapped at Grantham – distant memories now.
Very impressive!

frodshamfella

Established Member
Things that come to mind for me are Elmers end to Addiscombe , Elmers End to Sanderstead, Blackfriars to Holborn Viaduct, Broad Street to Primrose hill, North Woolwich to Stratford. Whitechapel to Shoreditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.