• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Passenger Stations still retaining B.R. Regional Signage after Passenger Closure?

Chrius56000

Another Quickie One!

How many Passenger Stations still had B.R. Regional Coloured Signs in Goods Yards, buildings, sidings, etc., after closure to Passengers?

There was a Dark Blue Eastern Region British Railways Sign for the Coal and Goods Depot at Horncastle in Lincolnshire long after closure to Passengers in 1954, shown on the "Disused Stations" website!

Any other known examples besides this one?

Chris Williams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Castlethorpe on the WCML had a maroon sign long after closure on one of the disused platforms.

delt1c

Established Member
There were a few stations on lines closed completely that were retained for red star parcel delivery and collection so still had BR sinage but no railway, if memory serves correct at least 1 station on the Waverly route

DelW

Established Member
Lowestoft still has one:

Screenshot_20240312-184302_Maps.jpg
(although of course it hasn't closed to passengers - I'm not sure if that criterion was important or not).

DelW

Established Member
Lowestoft is still open, so doesn't qualify under the op's question
Yes, I went back and edited my post as I wasn't sure how much significance was being put on the "after closure", rather than just looking for late surviving regional-coloured signs as I'd originally read it.

Taunton

Established Member
I've posted before that in 1976 we drove west from Stirling and got to the old Balquhidder station site. At the back of the outbuildings, thrown down in the weeds, was the old Scottish Region blue station running in nameboard. Closed in 1965, but still presentable with not much rust. Quite large, and in multiple sections, all still present. I wonder what eventually happened to it.

Another oddball is that several minor Eastern Region dark blue enamel signs, like Way Out, were still in place at Plaistow Underground station, District Line, in 1984-5. The BR platforms there had been closed in 1962 when the Fenchurch Street line was electrified, but BR used to own the whole station, which was transferred to the Underground at the same time. Probably the signage was replaced by BR just before the transfer,

MadMac

Lincoln St. Marks still had a large board in ER colours at closure in 1985 which was subsequently replicated on the adjacent shopping centre.

Partickhill had its name written on lamps and these remained for a long time after closure in 1979. I remember them during the 1990s and possibly early 2000s.

riley1489

Garsdale on the Settle & Carlisle closed in 1970 and still had its maroon London Midland Region running in boards when I visited & photographed it in 1980 prior to its full re-opening in 1986.
Leyburn on the Wensleydale line closed to passengers in 1954 but still had its 'Station' enamel direction sign in North Eastern Region tangerine when I visited & photographed in 1979. It was still open for goods at that time.

D6130

Established Member
Bradford Exchange still retained half of a large NER tangerine enamel sign fixed to the retaining wall above the former vehicle access ramp (behind the Crown Court building and facing Hall Ings) until the early 2000s....long after the station had been demolished.

341o2

Established Member
The concrete station signs at least Egloskerry, Treesmer, and Delabole on the North Cornwall line were still in place in the early 70s. Delabole's sign has now been restored and moved to a place of safety

Greetlander

Halifax had its disused platforms resigned in Tangerine I believe - this photo taken in 1968 by forum member CrossCity.

Aug68. Halifax. 'Calder Valley' BRCW DMU. [Slide_0003] | Flickr

I've also attached a short video I took in 2019. This is Dubbo station in regional New South Wales. The bay platform has been disused and trackless since 1988 but it still got the full paint treatment on both sides.

Attachments

• Dubbo.mp4
    2.5 MB

dubscottie

Dunfermline Upper until demolished. The sign was dumped, battered and twisted in Ladybank yard until about 2001.

Recessio

Bramley & Wonersh (closed during Beeching) has some vintage looking signs but I have no idea if they are original or replicas.