• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Pontsticill Junction -- as against the heritage railway's plain Pontsticill -- though I uneasily get the "minefield" feeling here.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pontsticill Junction -- as against the heritage railway's plain Pontsticill -- though I uneasily get the "minefield" feeling here.

Your "minefield" unfortunately has struck again, as the station in question was the only one there, but had carried both the names of Pontisticill and Pontisticill Junction and as such cannot be used on this quiz, being a once-closed station that was reopened by a heritage railway.

Calthrop

Established Member
Your "minefield" unfortunately has struck again, as the station in question was the only one there, but had carried both the names of Pontisticill and Pontisticill Junction and as such cannot be used on this quiz, being a once-closed station that was reopened by a heritage railway.

Aaar, bliddy Dewick doon't think zo; but, I come increasingly to figure, whart do 'e know? I've struck out my erroneous Pontsticill Jun. -- so if I'm right: that makes @Xenophon PCDGS's Pant B & M, the last correct station posted: so I can (I hope) follow up with Pentir Rhiw.

DerekC

Established Member
The currently open Bargoed station, according from what I have been informed is not the same as the closed one on the Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway which was a junction station in a different location. That closed station (closed to passengers 31st December 1962) had its trackwork lifted and the remains of the permanent way are said to be visible.

A similar situation is experienced in the Craigendoran station area in Scotland.

I think this is the same point that we discussed at length some months ago. Based on maps from 1876 to 1972 and all the sources that I have, there have only ever been two stations in the town of Bargoed. One was built by the Rhymney Railway on its line to Rhymney but also used by Brecon & Merthyr trains to Brecon and is still open. It is just south of the site of Bargoed North Junction and was indeed called Bargoed Junction on some maps. The other was on the Brecon & Merthyr branch to Rhymney and we have already visited it (as Aberbargoed) on this journey.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think this is the same point that we discussed at length some months ago. Based on maps from 1876 to 1972 and all the sources that I have, there have only ever been two stations in the town of Bargoed. One was built by the Rhymney Railway on its line to Rhymney but also used by Brecon & Merthyr trains to Brecon and is still open. It is just south of the site of Bargoed North Junction and was indeed called Bargoed Junction on some maps. The other was on the Brecon & Merthyr branch to Rhymney and we have already visited it (as Aberbargoed) on this journey.

I have been viewing the wrong station from the wrong station!!!!

Indeed it was that one of the Brecon and Merthyr Railway branch line that had its trackwork lifted.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Hereford (Moorfields)...I am assuming this was a through station, although I don't have any firm evidence one way or the other.

Both Hereford (Moorfields) and Hereford Barton had lines that ran into the currently open Hereford railway station and there was a triangular junction on these lines which can be seen in the line diagram incorporated in the Wikipedia article "Railways of Hereford."

Last edited: