• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

As a result of representations received, this particular journey has been truncated and the next leg (Derwent Valley Light Railway) will be the final leg of the journey, which will now end at Cliffe Common.

The journey preamble has now been amended to reflect this change.

There are still 11 closed stations remaining to be named on the final leg of this journey.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

As a result of representations received, this particular journey has been truncated and the next leg (Derwent Valley Light Railway) will be the final leg of the journey, which will now end at Cliffe Common.

The journey preamble has now been amended to reflect this change.

There are still 11 closed stations remaining to be named on the final leg of this journey.

No problem with that, but it would be interesting to know why.

Beningborough

Rowntree Halt

Calthrop

Established Member
It seems that York (Layerthorpe) was a terminus, up a short spur: so I'll cross fingers and name as the next stop, Osbaldwick

DerekC

Established Member
It seems that York (Layerthorpe) was a terminus, up a short spur: so I'll cross fingers and name as the next stop, Osbaldwick

That seems to be right - although on a parallel alignment, the platform track terminated in what looks like a goods shed and there was only a trailing crossover back to the through line.

Murton Lane

Dunnington Halt

I stood here once in about 1978 and watched "Joem" (looking very run down and with broken spectacle glasses) arrive and depart again with the then heritage service. But I am hoping that doesn't count as a reopening!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Regarding Rowntree Halt, the platform was on a siding alongside the two running lines, and could only be used by trains from York terminating at Rowntree Halt itself. As far as I am aware, through trains to either Foss Islands or the Derwent Valley Light could not access the platform.

The above posting was made in 2016 by a long-standing contributor to the quiz, who has not visited this website for a long time now.

DerekC

Established Member
Regarding Rowntree Halt, the platform was on a siding alongside the two running lines, and could only be used by trains from York terminating at Rowntree Halt itself. As far as I am aware, through trains to either Foss Islands or the Derwent Valley Light could not access the platform.

A quick look at the 1931 and 1937 OS maps suggests that in fact the siding was a loop, with access from both ends. So I think we could have called there. It seems unlikely that there actually were through passenger trains to the DVR, but we don't usually worry about such things!