• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Club55 - proof of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Just wondering whether an old style non-photo driving licence is sufficient as proof of age when travelling on a Club55 ticket, or does it have to be something with a photo? Birth date is coded into the licence, along with a licence expiry date that is my 70th birthday, so would a ticket inspector be happy with that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

extendedpaul

I always carry my passport but have never been asked for proof of age and I'm only 56. I'm sure your driving licence would be acceptable.

I guess the requirement is there so that someone who doesn't look 55+ (I definitely do!) can be challenged.

trainophile

Established Member
Sadly I've never been asked either (and I'm 60 in a fortnight :() but you can bet your life the one time I haven't got my passport with me I would be.

Silly reason really - I'm packing ready for a "cabin baggage only" Ryanair flight and wanted to put all the paperwork i.e. tickets, passports, boarding cards etc. ready in the case so nothing's left until the last minute. I usually carry my passport but if I do this I won't have it on me for the next couple of weeks. Probably easier just to carry it anyway and make a big note not to forget it when we leave for our flight!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Just wondering whether an old style non-photo driving licence is sufficient as proof of age when travelling on a Club55 ticket, or does it have to be something with a photo? Birth date is coded into the licence, along with a licence expiry date that is my 70th birthday, so would a ticket inspector be happy with that?

Arriva allow the National Bus Passes (no photo) and Senior Railcards (no photo) and as all Club 55 allow the use of a driving license as ID, I can't see why your driving license would not be allowed.

chalkie99

I thought I was a very youthful looking 55 year old :D but, sadly, have never been asked for ID at all :roll:

PaulLothian

Following discussions with a number of similar-aged friends (over 55, not quite on a pension), none of us has ever been asked for ID!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Following discussions with a number of similar-aged friends (over 55, not quite on a pension), none of us has ever been asked for ID!
I can add the experiences of a few more passengers to that list. I'm not aware of such evidence ever being requested.

What about pension?
This suggestion really should be ignored as utterly irrelevant to the matter before us and provides no help at all to the evidence of age.

dzug2

Over- 60's bus passes have your photo on - at least mine does.

But again not evidence of age - under 60s have entitlement to such passes in certain circumstances and AFAIK the pass doesn't say WHY you are entitled to it (mine doesn't anyway)

And wouldn't help 55-59 year olds anyway.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The National Bus Passes I have seen do not have a photo on. I suppose some might have pictures on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But again not evidence of age - under 60s have entitlement to such passes in certain circumstances and AFAIK the pass doesn't say WHY you are entitled to it (mine doesn't anyway)

And wouldn't help 55-59 year olds anyway.

In England there are three National Bus Passes, the one with the blue band on is for over 60s, the two gold/yellow ones are for people with disabilities or special needs. You need to provide proof of age to get the blue one AFAIK.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The National Bus Passes I have seen do not have a photo on. I suppose some might have pictures on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In England there are three National Bus Passes, the one with the blue band on is for over 60s, the two gold/yellow ones are for people with disabilities or special needs. You need to provide proof of age to get the blue one AFAIK.

And then one course there's people like my wife's grandma who gets a yellow one despite being over 60 - as it allows her to take a companion/helper with her as she's visually impaired (at least in her home area, validity varies outside there).

trainophile

Established Member
Not sure if this is general, but at least in my area (Herefordshire) they have brought bus pass eligibility into line with state pension age, so those of us women in the 'phasing in up to 66' age group don't become eligible at 60 anymore. In my case I will be almost 62 before I can get one, much to my annoyance. Presumably this applies to men too, as I think they used to be able to get one at 60, but as women are having to wait longer I suppose men will have to as well.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
This suggestion really should be ignored as utterly irrelevant to the matter before us and provides no help at all to the evidence of age.

My grampy used some form of his pension or had something to do with his pension when using Club 55. Don't quote me though as I can't remember exactly what it was.

sheff1

Established Member

I am same age group and had never been asked. I was beginning to think I needn't bother carrying my passport when I was suddenly asked for proof between Shrewsbury & Hereford :D

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Don't quote me though as I can't remember exactly what it was.
My advice to you is, that if we're not sure, then we don't post.

My point is that the state pension entitlement ages are utterly independent of of the critical 55 years for Club 55 (and expect that few over 65 are likely to be asked to demonstrate that they have passed 10 years younger than they are) and that personal pensions may be taken from dates below 55 and it only becomes necessary to buy an annuity by 75 years (which again is of no assistance).

transmanche

Established Member

I am same age group and had never been asked. I was beginning to think I needn't bother carrying my passport when I was suddenly asked for proof between Shrewsbury & Hereford :D
My Mum used her Senior railcard (to get the extra £2 off) on the same route. I was surprised that she was then asked for additional ID...

Status
Not open for further replies.