• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clyde Fastlink

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
When the Clyde Fastlink was installed in Glasgow running from Broomielaw to the new Southern General via Govan Cross, the main feature of the segregated sections was so for the buses to have priority at junctions, by means of using some sort of sensor to detect a bus approaching and change the traffic lights.

A couple of months ago when I accompanied my partner to the Hydro for the second vaccine (she had her first one at the Lagoon Leisure Centre, Paisley, so seemed bizarre having to travel from Paisley to the Hydro for the second dose), on the way back on the X19 to Central Station, there is a segregated section for Fastlink along Broomielaw between the Clyde Arc Bridge and York Street which the bus used, but the lights did not change at all and the bus had to wait a few minutes at the junction.

Have the sensors/cameras that detect when the bus is approaching the junction so as to change the lights ever worked at all? I do recall seeing in the local rag around five years ago that the Clyde Fastlink on the approach to the hospital was not used by most bus drivers at all as it was not functioning properly, therefore using the lanes for normal traffic where the lights change from red quicker and hold on green far better.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
The system isn't great. For many months the lights under the Kingston Bridge would remain red for a couple of minutes after you approached. If travelling towards Glasgow on the Squinty Bridge it is best to avoid the bus lane and use the normal traffic lane. This also goes for Govan bus station coming from the hospital. It is a very flawed system. It has its pros and cons but you find even if you do make time up on it you get held up behind a cyclist or for the next section to hold you at red for a considerable amount of time

danielwilkie

It's been a total waste of time since day one along its entire stretch. At major junctions cars had priority over the bus lanes and would hold you for a few minutes before lights would go green. I found when I was tight for time it was quicker sticking to the main roads especially along side the BBC section.

Another great idea, that just didn't get implemented properly and had been a massive failure! Glasgow has a habit of doing things to improve bus travel but stopping just short of making the idea work properly

Also at peak tines when travelling towards Govan the bus uses the fast link along the Broomielaw then has to join the queue of traffic which is waiting to cross the squinty bridge. A complete waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.