• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coach Lettering in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenHunter

Established Member
I imagine I could be confused with 1 so is skipped, not sure about the others.

The same reason it is not used in headcodes, with the exception of Eurostar, where those trains are entering the Continent with its use of letters followed by numbers; so 9O24 becomes ES 9024 once in France.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
On another note, lettering seems very much a UK/Ireland practice, whereas coach numbers prevail in Europe.

London Trains

On another note, lettering seems very much a UK/Ireland practice, whereas coach numbers prevail in Europe.

It is also something that is mainly used on intercity services and in the North.

Southern, Southeastern and SWR all use numbers.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Southern, Southeastern and SWR all use numbers.

That's a more recent thing, due to "You are in Coach 3 of 12" announcements for splitting trains and short platforms. Not for seat reservations*

*What did SWT use before they abolished seat reservations - letters?

ashkeba

Established Member
GA Class 90s finished their service pulling rakes of Mark 3 coaches apparently lettered by Scrabble bag dips. Reservations had been suspended by then, due to the changeover to flirts, so you never needed to decide which coach B contained your seat, but it was a very odd experience walking through!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I think it makes sense as to why Coach U is lettered as such. From experience, Coach U has always been unreserved, maybe the U stands for Unreserved?

I also think Coach G on the 11 cars is unreserved, same with Coach C on the 9/11 cars, so that if an 11 car substitutes for a 9 it doesn’t mess reservations

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the numbered coach thing is also entirely electronic with coach 1 always leading

Mikey C

Established Member
Airlines with their seat numbering also like having taking letters out from the middle (and missing out the "I" as it's too close to "1") so that the remaining seats stay consistent

For example on British Airways a 10 across plane like an A380 or 747 - ABC-DEFG-HJK
With 9 across (A350) - ABC-DEF-HJK
8 across (upstairs on the A380) - AB-DEFG-JK

Status
Not open for further replies.