• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coast and Peaks Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
So I'm planning to do a Coast and Peaks Rover starting next week - Day One would be Saturday and would be focused more on the Wales Side of the rover, with Day Two on Monday spent walking around the Hope Valley and that side of Derbyshire.

My question is, what other places could I visit that are worth doing So? And what lines are definitely worth doing on the map? Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
I did use a 'Coasts and Peaks' whilst Sheffield based but only had weekday use. It wasn't ideal to be based in Sheffield and I didn't get further west than Shotton.
So it is definitely good to do the west side on the Saturday - with an early start!
I used most of my time on the non Inter-City routes from Manchester and Chester.
As to walking around Hope Valley, that might be better done on a Derbyshire Wayfarer (from Sheffield at £12.60 without concessions, Seniors get a bargain at £6.30)

_toommm_

Established Member
I did use a 'Coasts and Peaks' whilst Sheffield based but only had weekday use. It wasn't ideal to be based in Sheffield and I didn't get further west than Shotton.
So it is definitely good to do the west side on the Saturday - with an early start!
I used most of my time on the non Inter-City routes from Manchester and Chester.
As to walking around Hope Valley, that might be better done on a Derbyshire Wayfarer (from Sheffield at £12.60 without concessions, Seniors get a bargain at £6.30)

I've already done a Wayfarer but it didn't include anything past New Mills on trains, nor did it include the branch out to Glossop from Manchester

mrcheek

Established Member
Obviously a lot depends on what lines you have already done.

But the North Wales coast is a beautiful journey. and if you can fit it in, the line down to Blaenau Ffestiniog is like something out of another world.

Some great scenery on the lines to Buxton and Matlock too

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Walking in the Hope Valley - a couple suggestions, depending on your walking experience/fitness/clothing:
1. Grindleford (station cafe) - Padley Chapel - Hathersage via a couple of bridges over the railway. Not too hilly or too high if the weather's iffy on top, can be muddy in places.
2. Hope - Hope village - Lose Hill - Hollins Cross - Edale including crossing the Hope Cement branch on a rickety footbridge. Good views of the railway from the top of Lose Hill and along the ridge to Hollins Cross if the weather's good, but a strenuous climb to Lose Hill, and go prepared for rain, wind, snow and ice at this time of year.

_toommm_

Established Member
Walking in the Hope Valley - a couple suggestions, depending on your walking experience/fitness/clothing:
1. Grindleford (station cafe) - Padley Chapel - Hathersage via a couple of bridges over the railway. Not too hilly or too high if the weather's iffy on top, can be muddy in places.
2. Hope - Hope village - Lose Hill - Hollins Cross - Edale including crossing the Hope Cement branch on a rickety footbridge. Good views of the railway from the top of Lose Hill and along the ridge to Hollins Cross if the weather's good, but a strenuous climb to Lose Hill, and go prepared for rain, wind, snow and ice at this time of year.

Sounds perfect thank you so so much

_toommm_

Established Member
Obviously a lot depends on what lines you have already done.

But the North Wales coast is a beautiful journey. and if you can fit it in, the line down to Blaenau Ffestiniog is like something out of another world.

Some great scenery on the lines to Buxton and Matlock too

I'm presuming the North Wales coast is the line out to Holyhead?

I'll definitely fit in Blaneau thanks to your recommendation!

mrcheek

Established Member
I'm presuming the North Wales coast is the line out to Holyhead?

I'll definitely fit in Blaneau thanks to your recommendation!

Yep, you should go all the way to the end of the line at Holyhead, the whole line is great

_toommm_

Established Member
6:20am EM - Sheffield to Stockport
7:29am NT - Stockport to Chester
9:24am AW - Chester to Holyhead
12:38pm AW - Holyhead to Llandudno Junction
1:30pm AW - Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog
2:57pm AW - Blaenau Ffestiniog to Deganwy
4:14pm AW - Deganwy to Llandudno Jn.
4:25pm AW - Llandudno Junction to Telford Central
6:59pm AW - Telford Ctl to Shrewsbury
7:52pm AW - Shrewsbury to Crewe
8:45pm EM - Crewe to Stoke-On-Trent
9:47pm XC - Stoke-On-Trent to Stockport
10:37pm EM - Stockport to Sheffield

My provisional plan for the first day. Thoughts?

Veteran Member
I'd come straight back from Holyhead (decidedly unexciting) and visit Llandudno for 40 minutes before doing Blaenau, and leave Telford Central - time for some food in Salop, or an earlier train home!

gazthomas

Established Member
Sounds perfect, thanks for the help! Definitely not my neck of the woods.
You’re very welcome. Conwy is worth a 1-2 stop too, and Betws-y-Coed but that will leave a long break unless you want to miss Blaenau Ffestiniog. If you have plenty of time and money I would recommend the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways

_toommm_

Established Member
You’re very welcome. Conwy is worth a 1-2 stop too, and Betws-y-Coed but that will leave a long break unless you want to miss Blaenau Ffestiniog. If you have plenty of time and money I would recommend the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways

Betws or Blaenau in your opinion?

gazthomas

Established Member
Betws is the better destination but you must go south to Blaenau to witness the industrial “scars” of the once great slate industry. If time is short you could jump on a bus to get back on track

_toommm_

Established Member
Swallow Falls kind of convinced me to a stay in Betws so:
1:08pm AW - Llandudno to Betws-Y-Coed
WALK - Betws-Y-Coed to Swallow Falls
5:05pm S2 - Swallow Falls Hotel to Station
5:20pm 19 - Station to Llandudno Junction
6:32pm AW - Llandudno Junction to Chester
7:55pm AW - Chester to Crewe

gazthomas

Established Member
Swallow Falls kind of convinced me to a stay in Betws so:
1:08pm AW - Llandudno to Betws-Y-Coed
WALK - Betws-Y-Coed to Swallow Falls
5:05pm S2 - Swallow Falls Hotel to Station
5:20pm 19 - Station to Llandudno Junction
6:32pm AW - Llandudno Junction to Chester
7:55pm AW - Chester to Crewe
The Swallow Falls are nice especially if it has been raining. It used to have a person on the ticket gate but now it is by cash so take coins (£1, 50p) to get in

You have given yourself massives of time to get to Swallow Falls so you may want to reclaim a couple of hours

_toommm_

Established Member
The Swallow Falls are nice especially if it has been raining. It used to have a person on the ticket gate but now it is by cash L take coins (£1, 50p) to get in

2 and a half hours there should hopefully be enough, and I feel like getting a bus or two is a nice way to see the town too! (And a nice way to mispronounce words!)

Bevan Price

Established Member
Remember it will be dark by about 17:30 at this time of year and you won't be able to appreciate the scenery any later than that.

And for any future trips - there is not much at Telford Central other than a shopping centre a few minutes walk from the station. Shrewsbury or Wellington are better bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.