• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coding on tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Just wondering whether, amongst all the numeric codes on a paper ticket, is there any way to identify which TOC’s website it was bought on?

Just doing a cancelled train claim, and GWR want to know whether I bought it from them or elsewhere. I know I could trawl through my accounts on all the sites I use, but wondered whether there’s a quick way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just wondering whether, amongst all the numeric codes on a paper ticket, is there any way to identify which TOC’s website it was bought on?

Just doing a cancelled train claim, and GWR want to know whether I bought it from them or elsewhere. I know I could trawl through my accounts on all the sites I use, but wondered whether there’s a quick way.
Yes. All tickets bought and collected via the ToD (ticket on departure) system should have the reference code for the booking, as well as the four digit code that identifies the retailer, printed on the bottom of the ticket. It should look like this.

If you're unsure what the four digit code means then feel free to ask here (although searching your emails for the 8-character ToD code should also clear the matter up).

If, on the other hand, you bought your ticket from a ticket machine or station ticket office then the ticket number will be the giveaway, but that's more complex...

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Ooh thank you. Is there a list anywhere of what the various 4-digit codes mean?

Mine says 7175.
7175 means GWR. There probably is a list out there, but it is likely an industry internal list. Luckily, I have bought tickets from GWR before so that is how I know that they use that code :). I don't know all of the retailers but I know quite a few of them.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks again. I have been googling like mad but couldn’t find a list. Perhaps we could compile one on this site?
I'm certainly more than happy to start it, but I'm not sure where the most appropriate place for such a list is.

trainophile

Established Member
Perhaps see what the site management think - it might be inappropriate if it’s not widely available to the general public, or they may think there’s only a limited call for it.

Just done my claim online, wondered why they didn’t ask for an upload of my ticket, and find they still need me to print off the claim form and post it to them (albeit Freepost) with the ticket. Bit of a PITA as I’m travelling. Perhaps they think people will forget or not bother.

trainophile

Established Member
Ah, I did wonder if it might be, but my tickets which are for next week aren't showing in my TrainSplit purchases. Think I will enquire about that on the TrainSplit thread.

Edit: Perhaps I bought them as a guest and didn't log into my account. That would explain it.

exesoundtech

Ah, I did wonder if it might be, but my tickets which are for next week aren't showing in my TrainSplit purchases. Think I will enquire about that on the TrainSplit thread.

Edit: Perhaps I bought them as a guest and didn't log into my account. That would explain it.

Deleted

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Right, done that. Lots of stuff on there, I don't know where to look!

There's an instruction file there which explains what the files are and what they contain. You'll need to devise a method to display the data in a format that you can work with.

At the moment I can't see "FTPL INTERNET BOOKING ENGINE" in the latest free fares data ( RJFAF213 ) which table is it in?

If you can't find it then it may have been suppressed. However the NLCs that are made public at the time the data is released can be found in the location table.

JB_B

Established Member

If you can't find it then it may have been suppressed. However the NLCs that are made public at the time the data is released can be found in the location table.

No sign of NLC 3043 in RJFAF213.LOC - does that mean it's been suppressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.