Colchester Zoo model railway?

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by Teflon Lettuce, 11 Sep 2018.

1. Teflon Lettuce

Teflon Lettuce Established Member

I have a memory of going to Colchester Zoo as a child and there being a large OO guage model railway there. Recently I took my niece to the zoo, but couldn't see any sign of it. Am I imagining the model railway there? if not, what happened to it?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. K Macdonald

K Macdonald Member

There's mention of it here:

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/colchester-zoo-miniature-railway.806509/

Colchester Zoo certainly did used to have a miniature railway but believe this disappeared around the time the zoo changed hands (mid 1980's..??) Can't remember much about the stock but do recall that it ran round the lake, pretty much along the site of the present road train route which now runs to the new Lemur exhibit.

The zoo also used to possess the largest model railway I have ever seen, housed in the buildings on the left side of the entrance road which are now the zoo hospital and staff areas, again I think this went around the same time as the miniature railway and no idea what happened to it.