• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colitis and medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomnpt83

Can you pass the train driver medical if you have Colitis? I am currently taking azathioprine and Mesalazine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Don't know how it will affect the medical to be honest! I'm on the same two medications for Crohn's Disease. The Azathioprine is an immuno-suppressant and at the start of the Covid-19 lock-down promptly put me on the list of 2.2million people who were 'extremely clinically vulnerable'. Don't know if you were affected, it might have been my age as well (70+) that contributed to the listing. Might be a factor they take into consideration??

John Webb

Established Member
@John Webb are you saying it will not effect the decision for the job?
Sorry - one of those 'write in haste' postings which on rereading isn't as clear as it might be. I was trying to say, from the viewpoint of never having worked on the railway, that they might take this medical condition into account, even if the medical is passed, as a condition which might affect your future work. But I stress I don't know how their system works currently and if the medical is passed, I assume they then admit you to other parts of the selection system.
Hope that's clearer!

Stigy

Established Member
Copy/pasted from other thread;

You’ll be fine. I’m on medication for a similar thing and just took my medication with me and chatted to the doctors about it. I understand TOCs do vary generally speaking, but something like this, where presumably any medication you’re on, like mine, has no side effects (or none that you’re experiencing anyway), won’t be an issue. I took a note from my GP too just underlining how the medication I’m on would be fine for driving trains and is non-drowsy etc. It just cuts out the middle man and speeds things up if they wanted to make enquiries.

I would say the only thing that would be an issue was if it wasn’t under control, so I’m basing all of the above on the fact that you’ve been diagnosed with Colitis, so it is under control if that makes sense? I’m taking Octasa, which is fundamentally just an anti-inflammatory I believe, so it’s worth looking at the meds you’re on and even if there are issues, you may be able to switch to something else.

The important thing is to be open and honest with the situation. Not least because IF you had issues in the future and needed time off etc, you already have on file that you suffer from colitis.

tomnpt83

Yes it’s under control and has been for years. Thank you for your response, I was just a bit worried about it as it is next week

Stigy

Established Member
Yes it’s under control and has been for years. Thank you for your response, I was just a bit worried about it as it is next week
You should have a consultation with a doctor to discuss any medication at your medical anyway, but it’s a common disability to have. I say disability although that’s quite strong term, it is considered one.

I’m terrible with my medication and take it when the condition flares up. When it clears up and I have no symptoms I stop taking it because I generally just forget. Then I’m okay for months and all of a sudden I need to start using them again. Can’t be very good for me as I’m generally using it like one would an antibiotic.

Old Chap

Just had a medical Tomnpt83, and it was pretty straightforward. May I ask whichTOC and depot you are down for?

Mr Wayne

Best of luck with the medical Tomnpt83 next week, it’s a really interesting thread for myself personally as I also have Ulcerative Colitis and I’ve been in a TfW driver talent pool since February this year. It’s reassuring I’m not alone with this in potentially joining the rail industry.

Mr Wayne

Thank you @Mr Wayne and all the best for you. Yes it’s been a long time coming.

Hi Tomnpt83, I’ve tried replying to your message but I think with myself being a fairly new member (but long time guest user) I’m somewhat restricted from private message privileges. I will reply back when I’m allowed.

It sounds like it’s been a journey “long time coming” to get where you are?

All the best.

Last edited:

Boydy

What happens if an established driver fails a routine medical after years of driving, will the TOC get rid of the driver through ‘ill health’ or will they generally try to accommodate him/her in an alternative role?

just asking out of interest.

Stigy

Established Member
What happens if an established driver fails a routine medical after years of driving, will the TOC get rid of the driver through ‘ill health’ or will they generally try to accommodate him/her in an alternative role?

just asking out of interest.
I guess it varies from TOC to TOC, but from my experience they will try and accommodate them and get priority for other job roles which are suitable. Generally they will get the same salary which (May?) reduce over time. They’ll have a minimum of 20 weeks to find another job. Alternatively they may be ‘paid off’. It will more than likely also depend on factors such as how long till retirement they are and how suitable they’d be for other roles within the company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.