• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colwick Traction Maintenance Depot (Nottingham)

Can't be far off opening now,four buildings have been erected and an extra (3rd) siding installed
56302 has been there since June. 70801,D400 (50050) 37099 and 56090 have been there for a few weeks
Yesterday 97302,37607,70808,56105 a small diesel shunter and a saddle tank (the I.D.s of these 2 I don't know) arrived
Over 50 years since Colwick had so many locos on site,1967 being the last time a steam loco was there
The last remnants of Colwick yard live on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterSheeps

Not saying I doubt you, but I cannot find any more information about this, and the loco list reads like the contents of someones model railway. Where is this going to be? The old fuel depot sidings? Why Colwick and not Toton or Derby?

Ebore

Not saying I doubt you, but I cannot find any more information about this, and the loco list reads like the contents of someones model railway. Where is this going to be? The old fuel depot sidings? Why Colwick and not Toton or Derby?

Can't link it directly but the cover letter to the planning application covers it:

The current loco repair facility is housed in the existing Eastcroft motive power depot at the east end of Nottingham station. There is a pressing need for more space at the depot for the operational East Midlands Trains fleet and it is therefore necessary to re-locate the repair facility to another rail served location in the vicinity. The sidings at the east end of the Mallard Road industrial area are an appropriate alternative location.
In relation to the first test, the location is considered appropriate given it has an existing rail connection, it is within the Nottingham area and is located in an industrial zone. The activity being caried out (locomotive maintenance) is entirely appropriate for the surrounding industrial area and the activity is not a significant generator of vehicular traffic. The current operation employs around 13 people, with an additional 5 new jobs expected to be created at the new site. Although the site lies within flood zone 3, a flood risk assessment has been carried out and considers the risk from flooding to be very low. In addition, there are only two other possible sites within the East Midlands that could conceivably house the facility; these are at Coalville and Toton respectively. However, the Coalville site is restricted in size and is the site of a future railway station for the re-opened Ivanhoe line; at Toton there is no spare land available to accommodate the facility, notwithstanding also issues regarding safeguarding for HS2 works. Therefore, we are satisfied the site is acceptable by reason of siting.

https://pawam.gedling.gov.uk/online-applications/ reference is 2023/0442PN

Colas have been using the sidings at Rectory Junction as an overflow for Nottingham Eastcroft for a while now. There are images on Flickr of 56105, 70808, 37607 and 97302 passing Netherfield, according to the photographer as 0Z25 from Nottingham Eastcroft to Rectory Junction on 28 December - a working with this headcode etc is shown on Realtime trains. Seems a fairly logical step for Colas to construct some buildings on this site, rather than other operators' sites at Toton or Derby.

Edited to add - thanks @Ebore, fascinating to see the official documentation!

here's a link to a photo on Flickr from October,things have advanced since then

and a link to the planning Application

Toton & Coalville were considered but the old oil terminal site was preferred - this is from the application

In addition, there are only two other possible sites within the East Midlands that could conceivably house the facility; these are at Coalville and Toton respectively. However, the Coalville site is restricted in size and is the site of a future railway station for the re-opened Ivanhoe line; at Toton there is no spare land available to accommodate the facility, notwithstanding also issues regarding safeguarding for HS2 works. Therefore, we are satisfied the site is acceptable by reason of siting

Attachments

• 2023 - 3532 December 29th Netherfield 97-302 & 37-607.jpg
    2023 - 3532 December 29th Netherfield 97-302 & 37-607.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

If anyone is interested, about 1 minute into this Youtube video is a bird's eye of the new depot and also a couple of pictures towards the end

Last edited: