• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combined Rover and Return tickets during diversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
So, another one that has confused me.

I have a 4 in 8 Freedom of North East Rover and i plan to add a Berwick upon Tweed to Edinburgh return on it to get me up to Edinburgh to maybe stay overnight. The problem is, at the weekend trains are going via Carlisle. Carlisle is also part of the valid map, but of course a Carlisle to Edinburgh ticket is more (an any permitted off peak return considerably) than a Berwick to Edinburgh.

Would I have to go via Berwick upon Tweed (on the bus) and then up to Edinburgh on the bus for this to be valid, or would they accept my Rover ticket and a Berwick to Edinburgh return to go on the diversion route. I'm wanting to do this tomorrow but i'm not 100% sure on whether i will get time anyway so i want to be able to do it when i get a little time to buy a ticket a little further south down the ECML.

I know the usual "ask the guard" applies which i would do anyway but i wondered if anyone knew whether this SHOULD be ok. It may be that i plan my day around a day return anyway which if i do it on a TPE service it isn't much more than the ticket i would buy but i thought i would ask to be sure.

Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Contact Virgin Trains East Coast for advice. Train companies can make exceptions to the rules if there are engineering works going on. If the buses are intended for passengers using stations on that part of the route, they may prefer longer distance passengers use the diverted train, even if the route used isn't usually valid.

robbeech

Established Member
I only bought the rover on Tuesday, and i haven't bought the extra ticket yet. So i did "know" about the diversions. In reality i had forgotten, but that i guess doesn't really matter. I might not even do any of the above, i might go somewhere else but the idea of going across to Carlisle on an HST appeals more than the usual offerings.

Rob

Clip

Established Member
Id say a return from Newcastle would get you on the train however they may be rammed so youd have to stand rather than a horrid bus through the best part of Britain.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I had a similar scenario with a LEY-CRL return and a GM Wayfarer a few months back, while MCV-BPN trains ran via Wigan, the guard looked at them both and moved on, just my personal experience. :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
I had a similar scenario with a LEY-CRL return and a GM Wayfarer a few months back, while MCV-BPN trains ran via Wigan, the guard looked at them both and moved on, just my personal experience. :)

Where are these places you refer to in code? Please use the full names, not just codes when the names haven't previously been used - forum rules.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Where are these places you refer to in code? Please use the full names, not just codes when the names haven't previously been used - forum rules.
Sorry,

LEY - Leyland
CRL - Chorley
MCV - Manchester Victoria
BPN - Blackpool North

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

The first year or two this ran (quite a while back now), some Guards took exception to this when they were presented with this combination by some cranks.

One of the cranks was also GNER staff, so complained internally - as a result I do know a brief was put in an internal circular, confirming this was in fact allowed.

Of course this was several years ago - I don't know if this is still the case now!

Mulberry2016

The first year or two this ran (quite a while back now), some Guards took exception to this when they were presented with this combination by some cranks.

One of the cranks was also GNER staff, so complained internally - as a result I do know a brief was put in an internal circular, confirming this was in fact allowed.

Of course this was several years ago - I don't know if this is still the case now!

Providing tickets were valid and paid for, the vast majority of guards wouldn't give a second look in my experience. The vast majority of them are very reasonable. Surprising also how many Northern guards have to teach themselves about rover and ranger validity.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Surprising also how many Northern guards have to teach themselves about rover and ranger validity.

Perhaps that says something about just how many rovers and rangers are actually being used. As enthusiasts we may be aware of what's available and plan whole trips around their use but I don't think the wider general public has the same want or need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.