• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Women who habitually wear men's hats. There are two or three where I live, none of whom wear other outwardly mannish clothing, and aren't trying to send a message that they're lesbian so far as I know. I just think the hats don't suit them, though I'm no fan on the whole of men's hats on men unless worn for weather-related reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
The way that a holiday now seems to consist of have a new location on your ‘phone while you stare at it. If you have paid an extortionate amount to travel on an open-top bus, why are you playing Candy Crush instead of looking at the sights?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Women who habitually wear men's hats. There are two or three where I live, none of whom wear other outwardly mannish clothing, and aren't trying to send a message that they're lesbian so far as I know. I just think the hats don't suit them, though I'm no fan on the whole of men's hats on men unless worn for weather-related reasons.
What kind of hats? Fedoras? Stetsons?

Calthrop

Established Member
The way that a holiday now seems to consist of have a new location on your ‘phone while you stare at it. If you have paid an extortionate amount to travel on an open-top bus, why are you playing Candy Crush instead of looking at the sights?
In fairness, this kind of "cognitive dissonance" was known -- although no doubt less often met with -- before the days of the Internet and ubiquitous "devices". I recall from a brake-van trip on a freight-only line, decades ago -- talking with the guard, concerning a railtour organised by some society, over choice rarely accessible freight-only routes; on which he had happened to be working in his professional capacity. He noticed that some of the presumedly-enthusiast, paying participants: spent much of the travelling time absorbed in playing cards with each other; apparently oblivious to what was being travelled through -- a thing which he found rather bemusing. There's nowt so funny as folk...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What kind of hats? Fedoras? Stetsons?
Cowboy hats, homburgs, etc.

We also have a male clown who always wears a bowler hat and covert coat, which I guess he must think disguises his lack of height: his equally small partner doesn't subscribe to his sartorial preferences, clothed as she is in charity shop rejects.

Calthrop

Established Member
We also have a male clown who always wears a bowler hat and covert coat...
My italics and "snipping": I confess that "clothes stuff" generally, is one of the rather numerous subjects concerning which my ignorance, and lack of interest, are almost total: had come across "the italicised" (or almost) in another context ("see further"), but never before in its primary one -- Googling re same has left me, frankly, very little the wiser (no doubt thanks to my cluelessness and non-interest). "Where heard of", as above: the Dinorwic Quarry "2ft." system had a Hunslet 0-4-0T (now preserved, currently on the Launceston Steam Railway) -- named by the Dinorwic outfit, Covertcoat (which I'd thought a wonderfully meaningless name dreamed up by some bard -- in fact, after a racehorse, as were a number of Dinorwic 2ft. locos -- anything on rails, less racehorse-like :s ...) we live and learn...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My italics and "snipping": I confess that "clothes stuff" generally, is one of the rather numerous subjects concerning which my ignorance, and lack of interest, are almost total: had come across "the italicised" (or almost) in another context ("see further"), but never before in its primary one -- Googling re same has left me, frankly, very little the wiser (no doubt thanks to my cluelessness and non-interest). "Where heard of", as above: the Dinorwic Quarry "2ft." system had a Hunslet 0-4-0T (now preserved, currently on the Launceston Steam Railway) -- named by the Dinorwic outfit, Covertcoat (which I'd thought a wonderfully meaningless name dreamed up by some bard -- in fact, after a racehorse, as were a number of Dinorwic 2ft. locos -- anything on rails, less racehorse-like :s ...) we live and learn...
I'm as ignorant as you on the subject. I was going to say 'the sort of coat often worn by Nigel Farage' and then tried Googling that, hence 'covert coat', the antidote to an overt coat I'm guessing. :smile:

AM9

Veteran Member
As long as the seats are paid for and there’s people sitting in them I don’t see a problem. However if not all the seats are taken they should become available for other passengers.
There may of course be reasons why allowing random passengers to sit amongst the group would not be a good idea.

AM9

Veteran Member
School groups etc yes, but when I get on a train I haven’t a clue who I’m sitting near or next to.
More importantly for some groups, nor do they have a clue who anybody wanting to sit in amongst an organised group is either.

Peter C

Established Member
It's probably already been mentioned, but I'd ban the annoying placement of YouTube adverts. I'm always getting ones for Dominos Pizza and even though I've been getting them for months, I'm no more likely to buy their products - and they're always put in the most annoying places in videos! I don't know much about how this works, but surely instead of using AI for putting useless chatbots and 'helpers' on every website, could we direct machine learning to working out where best to put an advert in a YouTube video? Jay Foreman's videos are probably the gold standard for me, in terms of where adverts are placed - he follows the television standards of old and it's really professional. Unlike most YouTube stuff which throws you ads for pizza and telling you to buy stocks (or whatever it is) during the middle of a sentence...

/rant ;)

-Peter

al78

Established Member
I use Firefox browser and uBlock Origin addon and I see no advert on YouTube at all!
Whenever I have used an ad blocker to block YouTube ads YouTube quickly displays a message along the lines of this voilates our service agreements, and I am forced to disable the blocker if I want to continue watching videos. That means having to deal with an ad break two minutes into a 15 minute video which I find excessive.

Whistler40145

Established Member
That is a particular problem on the Settle-Carlisle, where one half of a two car 158 can be routinely booked by a coach party between Settle and Appleby or Carlisle....leaving local passengers having to stand.
I didn't think Northern provided Seat Reservations

bspahh

Established Member
Whenever I have used an ad blocker to block YouTube ads YouTube quickly displays a message along the lines of this voilates our service agreements, and I am forced to disable the blocker if I want to continue watching videos. That means having to deal with an ad break two minutes into a 15 minute video which I find excessive.
If you use Chrome, Google are rolling out changes that will degrade the performance of ad blockers, particularly on Google/Youtube adverts.

"Manifest v3" means that Chrome plugins like ad blockers need to submit changes to Google for review. There is more detail at:

Google Chrome is rolling out Manifest V3, its latest extension specification, starting 3rd June on the Beta, Dev and Canary channels, which could impact how effectively ad blockers work in the Chrome browser.​

Google cited the community's progress and feedback as justification for proceeding with the decision.
"We've always been clear that the goal of Manifest V3 is to protect existing functionality while improving the security, privacy, performance and trustworthiness of the extension ecosystem as a whole," the company said.
"We appreciate the collaboration and feedback from the community that has allowed us - and continues to allow us - to constantly improve the extensions platform."
Starting next week, those using Chrome's Beta versions will be greeted with warnings on their extension management page. These warnings signal the impending demise of Manifest V2 extensions, which will soon lose their "featured" status in the Chrome Web Store.
These extensions won't be disabled immediately, but Google plans to phase them out entirely in the coming months.

al78

Established Member
If you use Chrome, Google are rolling out changes that will degrade the performance of ad blockers, particularly on Google/Youtube adverts.

"Manifest v3" means that Chrome plugins like ad blockers need to submit changes to Google for review. There is more detail at:
Yes I was using Chrome with an addon, although YouTube gave me the same warning when using Adblock+ with Firefox. I'll try the uBlock Origin addon and see what happens.

Peter C

Established Member
I use Firefox browser and uBlock Origin addon and I see no advert on YouTube at all!
Ah yes I tried using an ad blocker on Chrome a while back, but then it stopped working for some reason and I've just not got around to replacing it. I use YouTube on my phone mostly and I've not seen an ad blocker for that I don't think?

-Peter

Drogba11CFC

That is a particular problem on the Settle-Carlisle, where one half of a two car 158 can be routinely booked by a coach party between Settle and Appleby or Carlisle....leaving local passengers having to stand.
Or on the Kyle train I got on this morning, where both coaches have been hogged by separate coach parties.

dangie

Established Member
On Sunday I was out cycling on a beautiful 22degC sunny day. Today back to three layers and 9degC. Global warming has taken a day off.

Acey

In mch the same way as the cash strapped RAF can always find the necessary funds for multiple aircraft flyovers for Royal Birthdays etc,still I guess the RAF top brass have to earn their Knighthoods somehow !

Gloster

Established Member
Guildford Borough or Surrey County Council, whichever it is, for not bothering to put street names up, even on main roads. I know it is forty-five years since I visited the town, but despite having a sketch map I had to ask three times what road I was in.

azt

People who use the word space. A green space, er... it's a park, a blue space, that's the sea, a sleeping space, well that's a bedroom. What is wrong with them!

This is sooooo irritating!