• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Since we are getting on towards summer , I would ban men from wearing shorts, open toed sandals and sunglasses on top of their heads. Cover it up , it looks horrible.
What's wrong with sunglasses lifted to the forehead? It's a handy place to put them when you're in and out of shops and constantly need to switch between protecting your eyes and being able to see indoors.
If it looks stupid, that isn't my problem as I don't have to see it! 8-)

Can I ban the Sloane-y cows at Huddersfield earlier who insisted on walking down the stairs two-abreast when half the staircase was cordoned off being painted? I hope they both get headaches this evening. <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Just a minor one but company self-descriptions that don't do much describing

'At JK Media we use our vast experience along with the latest technologies, processes and attention to detail to meet the ever-increasing demands of our clients to conduct their business successfully in the modern digital world'

So you film adverts, print T-shirts or you sell printer cartridges and blank discs then :/
Usually this is because the company themselves don't really know what they do.

dakta

Indeed, though I know what they need to do, purchase savvy sounding .io domains, look pretty and hope for a buyout from google? :D

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Just a minor one but company self-descriptions that don't do much describing

'At JK Media we use our vast experience along with the latest technologies, processes and attention to detail to meet the ever-increasing demands of our clients to conduct their business successfully in the modern digital world'

So you film adverts, print T-shirts or you sell printer cartridges and blank discs then :/
Don't forget to throw in a mention of 'blockchain' too!

duncanp

Established Member
Could we ban the wall to wall coverage of the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard court case.

It gets on my nerves, and I don't give a <bleep> about who said or did what to who. <(<(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Could we ban the wall to wall coverage of the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard court case.

It gets on my nerves, and I don't give a <bleep> about who said or did what to who. <(<(

It sounds like you need to implement a strict ban of watching/following the news and/or social media! It remains one of my Top 10 best decisions ever, and if it wasn't for occasionally wanting to watch the odd programme on iPlayer/All4 I'd get rid of my TV and indeed TV license. The majority of my use of the TV is to watch stuff on YouTube, which I could do on my phone, but I occasionally have a desire to watch a bit of catch-up TV (I recently discovered season 9 of The Goldbergs is on All4, for example) so the TV and its licence stays.

I would seriously recommend cutting back on social media and TV time to absolutely everyone. If I wasn't resting up this morning, following a monster cycle tour yesterday, ahead of work I'd be outside enjoying the glorious sunshine!

jfollows

Established Member

I agree, I heard her wailing on the World Service last night, of all places, dreadful, all I could think was "she's an actor, so is he" and I couldn't care less about either of them, even though of course one of them might be right.

Runningaround

Professor Sir John Curtice and his expert predictions. Has he ever got a prediction right, Brexit, Scottish independence, Boris' landslide. He was miles off. Jeff Stelling and Paul Merson are more accurate on Soccer Saturday.

Gloster

Established Member
People who drive past accidents rubber-necking and paying no attention to the road ahead. We had a multi-vehicle collision today (van, bus and two cars) and a limited amount of local traffic was being diverted round it through a pub car-park. All the drivers had screwed their heads around so much that they wouldn’t even have been able to see the vehicle ahead in peripheral vision.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Who are these Depp and Heard people of whom you folk speak?
Reasonably well known Hollywood actors (Depp portrayed Captain Jack Sparrow in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series of feature films) who were once married partners but whose relationship has now broken down and are now, no doubt, ensuring that their respective legal teams are expensively remunerated whilst they air their dirty laundry, in a Virginia courthouse.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you ! On our planet, we quite often get mystified over stuff which you Earthlings get all het-up about ...

Pinza-C55

I would like to ban any political pundit or media outlet which takes a trivial current event and adds "gate" to the end of it. It is boring and sloppy journalism and Watergate means nothing to anyone under 60 years old.

GoneSouth

I’ve only just discovered this so haven’t read the previous 114 pages yet, apologies if I duplicate anything

I’d like to ban celebrities, ALL OF THEM! This includes all the associated celebrity cooking, dancing, skating, fishing, needlework, survival, unnecessary pouring out of life stories, travel, singing (face covered or visible) and general really tosh TV that seems to be the whole purpose of these people.

duncanp

Established Member
I’ve only just discovered this so haven’t read the previous 114 pages yet, apologies if I duplicate anything

I’d like to ban celebrities, ALL OF THEM! This includes all the associated celebrity cooking, dancing, skating, fishing, needlework, survival, unnecessary pouring out of life stories, travel, singing (face covered or visible) and general really tosh TV that seems to be the whole purpose of these people.

Can I sign this petition please.

Any show which has the words "...celebrities compete..." in the publicity has me pressing the Off switch on the TV remote.

Gloster

Established Member
Related to the celebrity theme. Those news items telling you of the death (or other major event) of a ‘famous star’ that you have never heard of from a programme that you don’t remember.

D821

Americans pretending they're Irish on St. Patrick's day, as their great, great, great, great, great-grandparents were Irish.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
American's pretending they're Irish on St. Patrick's day, as their great, great, great, great, great-grandparents were Irish.

On a related note, can we ban so called "Irish Bars" outside Ireland.

Just because you sell Guinness and have an Irish flag or shamrocks in the window does not make you an "Irish" bar.

Some Irish people that I know call the people who frequent these places "plastic paddies", and they also detest overblown celebrations on St Patricks Day that are mainly for tourists.

GoneSouth

and "literally"
And ’can I get’ when asking someone else to get something for you…

“can I get a Big Mac and large fries please”

The world doesn’t need Loose Women on ITV, first on my list for the chop when I take over running the channel

Last edited: