• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commonwealth Games Bull To Have Permanent Home At Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
Whilst it is good that the bull has found a new home, I can't help thinking that this huge structure in the middle of a busy station concourse is going to impede the free flow of passengers.

Still, it will give us all something to look at whilst we are waiting for the next Avanti service to arrive.

Commonwealth bull gets New Street station home​

A permanent home has been announced for the iconic giant bull from the 2022 Commonwealth Games - Birmingham New Street station.
The 33ft (10m) sculpture was due to be dismantled at the end of the Games, but won a reprieve after a public outcry.
It will be housed under the atrium of the station after a petition to save it attracted almost 10,000 signatures.
The giant mechanical bull was displayed in the city's Centenary Square after its debut at the opening ceremony.
Tens of thousands of people crammed to see it at its temporary home during the Birmingham Games last summer and it instantly became one of the city's most popular attractions.

After being stored at a temporary facility in Ladywood, the artwork was moved to a workshop in south east England to be modified, said Network Rail.
The sculpture, originally built and operated as a mechanical structure by special effects company Artem, will be static in its new home and will serve as a "lasting legacy to the unforgettable Birmingham 2022 Games," said Sir Peter Hendy, chair of Network Rail.

Largely made of foam, and lightweight aluminium tubing, the artwork is in the process of being redesigned to make sure it is compliant with building and fire regulations.

Network Rail said it had worked with Birmingham 2022, Birmingham City Council and the West Midlands Combined Authority to give the bull a home in the city centre to be enjoyed by up to 800,000 people who pass through the station each week.
"There were many stars during our unforgettable summer of sport and culture - but none were bigger and bolder than the bull," said council leader Ian Ward.
"We had five million visitors to the city centre during the period of the Games and the interest has remained at a high level ever since."
Mayor of the West Midlands, Andy Street, also welcomed the news saying: "I look forward to this now beloved bull being enjoyed, marvelled at and photographed by local people and visitors alike in the months and years ahead."
A date for the bull's arrival at the railway station is yet to be confirmed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Shame it will be static, you could set it off when delays were bad to inform passengers :D

duncanp

Established Member
Shame it will be static, you could set it off when delays were bad to inform passengers :D

If that were the case, it would be going off all the time. <D

Perhaps you could fit a new snazzy departure board on each side, rather like the useless ones they have at Euston.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The more delays there are, the more it can light up red and steam it can let off.

Seriously though, that’s excellent news that it has found a permanent home.

duncanp

Established Member
They should house the announcer inside it, so that messages such as "....the XX.XX Avanti West Coast service to XXXX is delayed by XXX minutes...." could come right out of its' mouth.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Am I the only one who thinks there could be a better place to put it? Surely! Plonking it in the middle of a busy station just seems a bit daft. On the approach path between the entrance and the shopping centre, I could agree with more, inside the Bullring shopping centre or even at the end of the street in the large area near there (I've forgot the street names, apologies, it's been a while since I last did Birmingham city centre) would be better.

It was certainly interesting going past Alexandra Stadium recently and seeing it in its much smaller, regular, size compared to how it was when the Games were on. It seems so tiny now! Edgbaston Stadium still marks the Games I noted too, which was pleasing to see :)

Hopefully, when they plonk this chunk of metal into place, it won't hugely affect passenger flow but I have my doubts. At least it's not a huge model of that mascot, which I still think looked ridiculous!

duncanp

Established Member
Am I the only one who thinks there could be a better place to put it? Surely! Plonking it in the middle of a busy station just seems a bit daft. On the approach path between the entrance and the shopping centre, I could agree with more, inside the Bullring shopping centre or even at the end of the street in the large area near there (I've forgot the street names, apologies, it's been a while since I last did Birmingham city centre) would be better.

It was certainly interesting going past Alexandra Stadium recently and seeing it in its much smaller, regular, size compared to how it was when the Games were on. It seems so tiny now! Edgbaston Stadium still marks the Games I noted too, which was pleasing to see :)

Hopefully, when they plonk this chunk of metal into place, it won't hugely affect passenger flow but I have my doubts. At least it's not a huge model of that mascot, which I still think looked ridiculous!

This is my concern - plonking a huge structure like that into the middle of a busy station concourse.

Imagine what would happen if they did that at Euston, Kings Cross, Victoria, Manchester Piccadilly .. etc.

There might need to be some kind of a barrier round it to stop, as has been noted, the smartphone zombies from walking into it whilst glued to their phone screens, or groups of drunks from vandalising it late at night.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think it will fit OK but its going to problematical. For example, are they going to have to move the screens to make sure the view isn't covered by this big thing.

My photo below when it was at the town hall.
52282802069_de17fc8f15_c.jpg

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is it going to fit?

Perhaps you could fit a new snazzy departure board on each side, rather like the useless ones they have at Euston.
the useless boards that are much clearer and easier to read?

( they could, of course, be better positioned but the displays are superbly clear - much better than the orange on black types)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd have left it by the town hall, surely that's more appropriate than putting it in a railway station.

@DarloRich I agree with you on the screens at Euston, much clearer but they really aren't well positioned. The now-old screens are one of the first things I think of when I see the name Euston, so they'll always be missed here but the new ones are definitely an improvement.

If they used such screens at Birmingham New Street, I think it would be an improvement there too. As long as the important information is still easy to be read, especially in a hurry, and this bull thing doesn't interfere with that, then I guess all will be fine.

The fact I'd have sold the metal used in this thing and used the funds on useful things like road maintenance, well that's not really important right now :lol:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wasn't it not intended to be left outside for a prolonged period?
I believe so, as it was not constructed from materials that would withstand outdoor conditions in the long term. I think a lot of it is lightweight material such as foam, rather than plates of metal.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
It could comment on station announcements, mooing angrily when a trains is announced as running late, and whilst he's at it loudly blotting out the dreaded 'sorted' message.

duncanp

Established Member
I believe so, as it was not constructed from materials that would withstand outdoor conditions in the long term. I think a lot of it is lightweight material such as foam, rather than plates of metal.

Which is why it is being modified somewhere in the South East before being installed in New Street station, as otherwise it would be a fire risk.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Which is why it is being modified somewhere in the South East before being installed in New Street station, as otherwise it would be a fire risk.

Fair enough, I stand corrected by those more knowledgeable than I about its construction.

DelW

Established Member
It could comment on station announcements, mooing angrily when a trains is announced as running late, and whilst he's at it loudly blotting out the dreaded 'sorted' message.
Or indeed, when an improbable reason for delay is announced, it could produce an appropriate pile of ahem, bullsh*t, in response.

I think it was only intended for a short lifespan, being originally built on top of a telehandler to enable it to move, so has needed modifications as a more permanent display.

duncanp

Established Member
One useful function of the bull will be as a meeting point.

When I have had friends and relatives come to visit, it is often difficult to know where to stand whilst waiting for them.

You don't know whether they will exit the train from the A or the B end of the platform, or whether they will come through the barriers for the red, green or blue zones.

If you say, I will meet you underneath the bull, that is easy to understand, and for people to find.

Class 170101

Established Member
They should house the announcer inside it, so that messages such as "....the XX.XX Avanti West Coast service to XXXX is delayed by XXX minutes...." could come right out of its' mouth.
But they would spout a load of old Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.