• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commonwealth Games Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
How come there is no thread on this - is it because it's outwith the M25 :lol:

I'd just like to congratulate that 13 year old girl from the Shetland Islands who won a Bronze Medal in the Swimming yesterday.

Working in Glasgow I have experienced "Piccadilly Circus" type conditions at Glasgow Queen Street Station......<D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Well there have been some issues with transport, but one the whole the planning seems to have worked. The practice of unannounced skipping of stations (eg Uddingston) has raised some blood pressure locally. To those waiting on the platform, it manifests itself as a sudden "cancellation" announcement followed by their train running through at speed.

(To be fair, there have been two others threads about the "guest stock"!)

radamfi

Established Member
I'm from the Manchester area but I failed to get excited about the 2002 Commonwealth Games so I'm highly unlikely to be interested in games in Glasgow. Getting the Commonwealth Games was not really a bit deal as Edinburgh and Cardiff had hosted it before. It was really a tiny compensation for the failed Olympic bids.

The Olympics and World Cup, yes, fantastic. Commonwealth Games, not interested.

Last edited:

Bob Ames

The sooner it's all over, the better. I'm itching for a bash on the S&C and the fares to other destinations have been much higher than usual - I'm certainly not paying £39 to go from Wigan to Carlisle on a Voyager in Standard Class! :roll:

ExRes

Established Member
The way the BBC are making it sound as important as the Olympics is really annoying

I guess the BBC doesn't have much choice but to overhype it, after all, what else do they have to show in the way of sport these days ?

Also there's the possibility that it's all part of the plot to make the Scots vote no to independence

;)

Butts

Veteran Member
It is notable that they are staging "Para" events amongst the able-bodied events rather than separately.

Mind you the "Para Athletes" would probably have a good chance against some of the competitors from many of the far flung outposts of the Commonwealth :p

St Rollox

The chap (from London) running the merchandise tent in George Square claims he took in half a million quid in the first three days of the event.

How does someone from London walking away with a big fat profit help the local economy in Glasgow?

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The chap (from London) running the merchandise tent in George Square claims he took in half a million quid in the first three days of the event.

How does someone from London walking away with a big fat profit help the local economy in Glasgow?

Careful - you're narrowing the 'No' vote margin! :D

Walked to Charing Cross station after the weightlifting last night - it was almost deserted. Mind you, I did recognise a few Taggart locations on the way - not sure I would want do that normally. Finnieston, sorry Exhibition Centre station was mobbed as usual.

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
A number of my friends in the cycling world are certainly very happy that South Australians managed to top the medal tally in the track cycling (not only on top, but also ahead of the combined total of all the UK teams added together) without the measly "contributions" of the rest of the Australian team.

table38

Established Member
Also there's the possibility that it's all part of the plot to make the Scots vote no to independence

The Daily Mail certainly thinks so :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2704121/Who-tried-red-Red-Arrows-Commonwealth-Games-guide-said-jets-trail-blue-white-smoke-recreate-Scottish-flag.html

The new Defence Secretary personally overruled an ‘outrageous and juvenile’ attempt to make the Red Arrows trail the colours of the Scottish flag at the Commonwealth Games.

Michael Fallon reacted with fury when told of the plan for the famous jet display team, part of Britain’s Royal Air Force, to replace their traditional red, white and blue smoke with just white and blue, representing the Scottish Saltire.

It would have been a highly political statement just weeks ahead of a referendum in Scotland on whether the country should become independent, breaking up the 300-year-old union with England.

Amusingly they initially trotted out the line that the Red Arrows always used Red White and Blue smoke, until some inconvenient photographs were published, eg:

BtV27KrCQAAaeJv.jpg

--- update ---

Another article here: http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-non-political-games/

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
On another thread it was debated whether the Daily Mail get paid for people merely viewing the site. I don't think we had a definitive answer. In any case, I don't click on those Daily Mail links on principle.

table38

Established Member
I like to think that I read it so you don't have to :) (But I got told off for saying that once as well!)

Robinson

Not only have we had the Red Arrows debacle, we've also had the flags being handed out with Saltires on one side and Union Jacks on the other, despite the fact that the UK does not compete at the Commonwealth Games. We've also had the England cycling team wear Union Jacks on their helmets, and we've had Yes supporters being subject to disgraceful treatment by security and the police.

And there was me thinking Alistair Carmichael had said he didn't want to see the Games politicised - oh wait, silly me, it's only us evil Nats that have to stay quiet :roll:

The behaviour of the No campaign throughout this debate has been frankly disgraceful and hypocritical.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Not only have we had the Red Arrows debacle, we've also had the flags being handed out with Saltires on one side and Union Jacks on the other, despite the fact that the UK does not compete at the Commonwealth Games. We've also had the England cycling team wear Union Jacks on their helmets, and we've had Yes supporters being subject to disgraceful treatment by security and the police.

And there was me thinking Alistair Carmichael had said he didn't want to see the Games politicised - oh wait, silly me, it's only us evil Nats that have to stay quiet :roll:

The behaviour of the No campaign throughout this debate has been frankly disgraceful and hypocritical.

You need a little bit of balance my friend - the Yes Campaign have hardly been "paragons of virtue" :p

IanD

Established Member
The way the BBC are making it sound as important as the Olympics is really annoying

Claire Balding (a mediocre presenter at best) has suddenly become some sort of all conquering hero (in the eyes of the BBC at least). No doubt a huge portion of our licenece fee will be heading her way when her contract's up for renewal. Or hopefully she'll jump ship and head off to BT sport and we'll never have to see her on Freeview ever again. (Much like that woman from BBC Breakfast who took a big wedge to nove to ITV. Didn't help the viewing figures.)

With over half of the world's top athletes not eligible (and even those who are, such as Usain Bolt and Mo Farrah not bothering to compete) the Commonwealth Games are meaningless.

Johnuk123

Established Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...es-Scottie-dogs-disrespectful-to-Muslims.html

Malaysian politicians and religious leaders have attacked the use of Scottie dogs during the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, claiming it was disrespectful to Muslims.

Dato Ibrahim Bin Ali, a far-Right politician, former MP and founder and president of Malay supremacist group Perkasa also called for an apology.
"I think it is unbecoming. The hosts have not been sensitive enough – especially in a so-called knowledgeable and civilised society like Britain," he said. "It is shameful and has offended not only Malaysia as a Muslim country, but Muslims around the world."

I like how this bloke has decided to speak on behalf of every Muslim in the world.

Claire Balding (a mediocre presenter at best) has suddenly become some sort of all conquering hero (in the eyes of the BBC at least).

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Wha...Festivals-winter-programme-20140730101547.htm

There is no limit to her talent.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Claire Balding (a mediocre presenter at best) has suddenly become some sort of all conquering hero (in the eyes of the BBC at least). No doubt a huge portion of our licenece fee will be heading her way when her contract's up for renewal. Or hopefully she'll jump ship and head off to BT sport and we'll never have to see her on Freeview ever again. (Much like that woman from BBC Breakfast who took a big wedge to nove to ITV. Didn't help the viewing figures.)

With over half of the world's top athletes not eligible (and even those who are, such as Usain Bolt and Mo Farrah not bothering to compete) the Commonwealth Games are meaningless.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, I don't feel the Games are meaningless for the competitors or the City hosting them.

Usain Bolt is running in the relay and Mo Farrah is apparently injured. Don't forget it's not just about Athletics there are plenty of other sports as well.

With regard to the presenters I do find myself in partial agreement with you. Unfortunately todays coverage lacks an established and authoritative anchor such as David Coleman or Des Lynam et al.

This lack of gravitas extends to all areas of Sports Coverage and is a result of the fragmentation of the art being dispersed over numerous channels. When the BBC was virtually the only volume sports broadcaster the quality and calibre of those involved was a lot better.

HawkeyeTheNoo

Grateful if you could point me to the facts covering the police and security harassing yes supporters as I've never heard any such thing! Sound like more nat rubbish which gets greater the closer we get to Sept! The Team GB helmets were used as they are very expensive and the owners were being thrifty!

muz379

Established Member
not really watched that much of the commonwealth games this time round , just work logistics this time round , I was in a different job when the Olympics was on and my employer was getting into the "olympic spirit" so was expected to pay an interest in it . This time round that hasn't happened .

I was still relatively young when Manchester where I am from hosted the commonwealth games so I didn't really understand what this other sporting competition was I just thought it was an olympics .

Squaddie

Claire Balding (a mediocre presenter at best) has suddenly become some sort of all conquering hero (in the eyes of the BBC at least). No doubt a huge portion of our licenece fee will be heading her way when her contract's up for renewal.
Claire Balding's success is far from "sudden"; she's been presenting programmes on radio and TV for around 20 years and is (in my opinion) very good at what she does. She's also an extremely nice person: a couple of years ago she joined my walking group for one of her "Ramblings" programmes, and she was delightful.

IanD

Established Member
Claire Balding's success is far from "sudden"; she's been presenting programmes on radio and TV for around 20 years and is (in my opinion) very good at what she does. She's also an extremely nice person: a couple of years ago she joined my walking group for one of her "Ramblings" programmes, and she was delightful.

She's been knocking around for ages, without doubt. A few years back she was slated for criticising the teeth of that jockey who won the grand national. But after year's of mediocrity she is now treated by the BBC as the greatest TV sports presenter of all time.

Robinson

jon0844

Veteran Member
On another thread it was debated whether the Daily Mail get paid for people merely viewing the site. I don't think we had a definitive answer. In any case, I don't click on those Daily Mail links on principle.

The rate they can charge will be based on page views I have no doubt, although I also expect they're big enough to also negotiate fixed fees (which will be exceptionally high) given the immense traffic.

I've never clicked on an ad via the DM in my life, and I think many ad agencies are perhaps getting a little wiser these days and realising loads of page views, or even unique visitor numbers, are not any sort of guarantee of success.

In fact, some ads next to some really dodgy stories would more likely seek to boycott that advertiser. And there are now new and improved ways for advertisers to make sure their ads aren't shown in certain places.. so don't be surprised if some will deliberately ask NOT to be shown on the DM site.

Of course, others will love the fact that everyone hates the DM but always sends a link to make sure others can see why they hate the site!

Squaddie

But after year's of mediocrity she is now treated by the BBC as the greatest TV sports presenter of all time.
Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or are you simply trying to justify your personal dislike of a popular and experienced radio and television presenter?

In 2003, Claire Balding was the Royal Television Society's "Sports Presenter of the Year" and also won the "Racing Journalist of the Year". In 2012 she was awarded Sports Broadcaster of the Year. You're perfectly entitled to have your own opinions of her, of course, and she is frequently the target of irrational criticism because of her sexuality, but to say that she is "mediocre" is silly.

IanD

Established Member
Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or are you simply trying to justify your personal dislike of a popular and experienced radio and television presenter?

In 2003, Claire Balding was the Royal Television Society's "Sports Presenter of the Year" and also won the "Racing Journalist of the Year". In 2012 she was awarded Sports Broadcaster of the Year. You're perfectly entitled to have your own opinions of her, of course, and she is frequently the target of irrational criticism because of her sexuality, but to say that she is "mediocre" is silly.

Who mentioned her sexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.