• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Noticed Hays travel haven’t messed around in terms of taking over the old Thomas Cook stores (and hopefully staff), a lot are back open still with the Thomas Cook branding up but several Hays notices in the windows
Making Hays while the sun shines? :)

michaelh

A 214 Page annual report with no comparisons with other chains? Are you serious? I bet Co-op bank annual reports were equally glowing before it crashed.

Individual co-op branches seem to do well by themselves, but as soon as serious competition moves in, their customers desert them. Now that Aldi and M&S have moved into Walton-on-the-Naze, the nasty little Co-op is more or less empty most of the time, good riddance to it, but I'm not sure where the Post Office counter will go.

The co-op purchase of Summerfield stores must be the single biggest piece of value-destruction in the history of British supermarkets.

The Co-op has given up on larger stores and is now concentrating on local "convenience" shops. These tend to be open for longer hours, but have limited ranges and very high prices - use them if you're desperate!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Co-op has given up on larger stores and is now concentrating on local "convenience" shops. These tend to be open for longer hours, but have limited ranges and very high prices - use them if you're desperate!

Yep co-op are now in the same segment as Tesco Metro, Sainsbury’s Local, Spar, Budgens, Nisa etc. A very lucrative market segment as it happens (compared to large stores).

scotrail158713

Established Member
Yep co-op are now in the same segment as Tesco Metro, Sainsbury’s Local, Spar, Budgens, Nisa etc. A very lucrative market segment as it happens (compared to large stores).
The Co-Op in Ormiston is one of those. If I’ve run out of milk, or fancy something to eat at night, it’s perfect for that.
I couldn’t do a big shop there though - Aldi and Asda 3 miles down the road are much better for that.

johntea

Established Member
What I don’t get about local/express/metro/whatever stores is they obviously serve a purpose in smaller areas but then you get town/city centres with a billion of them all within a short walk of each other!

Knaresborough Road in Harrogate has a One Stop (Tesco), a Tesco Express for the petrol station, 2 Co Op stores and formerly 2 McColls but they seem to have given up now - all within a mile of straight road!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What I don’t get about local/express/metro/whatever stores is they obviously serve a purpose in smaller areas but then you get town/city centres with a billion of them all within a short walk of each other!

Knaresborough Road in Harrogate has a One Stop (Tesco), a Tesco Express for the petrol station, 2 Co Op stores and formerly 2 McColls but they seem to have given up now - all within a mile of straight road!

In London, and I suspect many other big cities, it is a key component of city living. No need for a car, eat out a fair bit, use a convenience store for ‘mini’ shops 2-3 times a week.

headshot119

Established Member
The Co-Op in Ormiston is one of those. If I’ve run out of milk, or fancy something to eat at night, it’s perfect for that.
I couldn’t do a big shop there though - Aldi and Asda 3 miles down the road are much better for that.

Co-Op seem to serve three distinct markets quite well.

1) The one you have mentioned serving "some bits" when people can't be bothered to head to somewhere further away, or the somewhere further away is shut.

2) The inner city / town locations, where people do a number of smaller shops in a week and eat out a fair bit.

3) The rural market where a small town like Wigton has a large Co-Op (Used to be Somerfield I think), used by people in the town and surrounding villages for a larger style of shopping, with much less frequent trips to the larger city of Carlisle for a larger shop, and items the Co-Op don't stock even in a larger store.

To be honest, even versus Tesco Express, the prices aren't dissimilar.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Co-Op seem to serve three distinct markets quite well.

1) The one you have mentioned serving "some bits" when people can't be bothered to head to somewhere further away, or the somewhere further away is shut.

2) The inner city / town locations, where people do a number of smaller shops in a week and eat out a fair bit.

3) The rural market where a small town like Wigton has a large Co-Op (Used to be Somerfield I think), used by people in the town and surrounding villages for a larger style of shopping, with much less frequent trips to the larger city of Carlisle for a larger shop, and items the Co-Op don't stock even in a larger store.

To be honest, even versus Tesco Express, the prices aren't dissimilar.

Co-Op are more expensive than Tesco Express, especially for milk.
Incidentally my local Co-Op turned into a Budgens over the summer

underbank

Established Member
The small co-ops are an excellent alternative to the likes of Spar, Londis etc for those who aren't close to Tesco/Asda/Morrisons, etc.

We've a Spar shop in our village and it's dire. Very expensive unless you want what they have on offer that week. Also very poor range of fresh fruit & veg, and also pretty poor for tins/packet foods. It's really just an off licence that sells bits of other things. Loads of village OAPs shop there and say it's very expensive and limiting for them. Parking is also a pain as you have to park on the main street which is already narrow and congested.

A Co-op is being built and we can't wait. They've already built one in a village a few miles away and one in a small town near us. Each has a decent sized car park, and much better food offering than the Spars/Londis', with better range of offers etc.

I think the Co op small store building programme is more about getting business from Spars, Londis, One stop, etc., rather than challenging the big stores like Tesco etc.

michaelh

There is a Tesco Express and a similarly sized and stocked Sainsbury's both within 100 yards of Worcester Foregate St Station. I'm sure that they do well from commuters getting off the train.

michaelh

I buy skimmed milk (4 pints) usually from Morrisons, sometimes from Waitrose and occasionally from Lidl. They're all around the £1.10 mark

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I know lots of people do this. But I will never understand people who pay for anything without looking at the price!

Exactly. For 1 or 2 things now and then you're looking at pennies. But I'd never do my main shop there, good deals as my local Co-op can sometimes have.

bramling

Veteran Member
In London, and I suspect many other big cities, it is a key component of city living. No need for a car, eat out a fair bit, use a convenience store for ‘mini’ shops 2-3 times a week.

Ha ha ha! I know what you’re saying, however I will laugh to myself next time I’m driving through somewhere like Barnet, Temple Fortune or North Finchley high streets, seeing numerous SUVs being driven a few hundred yards to the local convenience mini-supermarket. Makes me mad the way they just *have* to park right outside the door. Grr!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Ha ha ha! I know what you’re saying, however I will laugh to myself next time I’m driving through somewhere like Barnet, Temple Fortune or North Finchley high streets, seeing numerous SUVs being driven a few hundred yards to the local convenience mini-supermarket. Makes me mad the way they just *have* to park right outside the door. Grr!

Well, yes, certain parts of London are a little different.