• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think this move may backfire on whit bread. If I'm honest, they'll be people like me and a couple of others in this thread who would choose Premier Inn because of the fact that you can get food on site in the evenings and unless the hotel rooms they're going to convert will be serviced by a dining space a quarter of the size also for evening meals. Then whilst they might get the price of rooms down in some areas where there's high competition which as someone pointed out is no bad thing given the prices they're charging these days they will at the same time alienate a certain portion of their clientele including me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

The accountants will have done their job I’m sure and worked out that there’s a tiny percentage increase in profits renting room space on the ground floor than there Is in selling food, but accountants only understand numbers and not the intangible value in things.

Another example of corporate Britain knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Iskra

Established Member
Presumably operations managers nearer to the coalface will have been consulted, and the decisions will be made on a case by case basis, depending on profitability but also where closing a restaurant may risk making a hotel unattractive to guests booking if there is no alternative nearby.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Something that might work is perhaps a throwback to the pandemic era of in room dining, small kitchen on site offers a limited menu of pub, classics pizzas, pasta salad, sandwiches, etc. Available for you to take back to your room with relevant plates, cutlery and condiments and maybe a fridge reception could offer a very basic bar service of bottled or canned beer, wine, cider and spirits in addition to the usual overpriced soft drinks vending machine. Actually, I think I might email Premier in and suggest this

dk1

Veteran Member
Something that might work is perhaps a throwback to the pandemic era of in room dining, small kitchen on site offers a limited menu of pub, classics pizzas, pasta salad, sandwiches, etc. Available for you to take back to your room with relevant plates, cutlery and condiments and maybe a fridge reception could offer a very basic bar service of bottled or canned beer, wine, cider and spirits in addition to the usual overpriced soft drinks vending machine. Actually, I think I might email Premier in and suggest this

The thought of eating food or drinking in my room would put me off going anywhere in the first place. Like dining in a prison cell.

cactustwirly

Established Member

There's an app called Deliveroo which can provide this more effectively

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In other words.... room service, but without the hotel staff doing the delivery?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Everest double glazing is in administration .

Administrators ReSolve Advisory Limited were appointed for the firm, known as Everest 2020 Ltd, on 24 April.

Gareth Morgans from GMB said the news was a "shock" for the workforce who felt "dejected" and "betrayed".

"They are so disappointed. It was only in 2020 that they previously went into administration, and were taken over as Everest 2020," he said.

"They thought it was a new beginning, a new horizon and it's happened again.

"But this time, with no buyer taking over.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I thought Everest went out of business years ago, I can't remember the last time I heard them mentioned or saw an advert for them.
I'm fairly certain that I've seen Everest adverts fairly recently. In fact, when I last saw one I was rather surprised to see that Craig Doyle was still fronting them!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I thought Everest went out of business years ago, I can't remember the last time I heard them mentioned or saw an advert for them.
I remember the adverts featuring Ted Moult. By coincidence im currently having double glazing installed,although not by Everest.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

The fact the company's called Everest 2020 Ltd, suggests a new business was registered in 2020. Maybe the old one failed and someone purchased the brand name from the administrators?

jon0844

Veteran Member

There are loads of these companies but now you have to factor in the higher cost for the menu item (sometimes significantly more expensive), a more limited offering (my local fish and chip shop doesn't sell small fish or fries, if you order online you must for medium or large for everything), service fees, delivery fees, bag fees and probably more. Oh and don't forget minimum order amounts (great if you're on your own, not).

Plus I'd actually hope they wouldn't be allowed to enter a hotel and deliver to a room as that poses a security risk, which means having to go down to find them and collect. I know people do it and we've done it, but it really isn't a good alternative to a restaurant/bar in the hotel itself.

But I accept the race to the bottom and people will willingly accept it, even though since Covid it has become quite ridiculous in terms of pricing (and quality of delivery), yet despite the high price the delivery drivers still earn a pittance for the hours they work. That profit is going to some 'tech bros' in California.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think we may have had this combination before... but just in case not...

( Image is of a "Perfect Thread Coupling" on this sub forum in which this thread is parked immediately above the Rishi Sunak / Conservatives one. )

1714575210662.png

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Oh thanks, I'll remember that when I'm next. Staying on the side of an a road in between 3:00 or 4 small villages with the nearest town being just out with the area where riders are prepared to go and charges are even vaguely reasonable despite having a premium subscription

brad465

Established Member
I think we may have had this combination before... but just in case not...

( Image is of a "Perfect Thread Coupling" on this sub forum in which this thread is parked immediately above the Rishi Sunak / Conservatives one. )

View attachment 157444
If we can get the Elon Musk one in line with this one as well that'll be another good example given the latest Tesla news.

cactustwirly

Established Member
There are loads of these companies but now you have to factor in the higher cost for the menu item (sometimes significantly more expensive), a more limited offering (my local fish and chip shop doesn't sell small fish or fries, if you order online you must for medium or large for everything), service fees, delivery fees, bag fees and probably more. Oh and don't forget minimum order amounts (great if you're on your own, not).

Plus I'd actually hope they wouldn't be allowed to enter a hotel and deliver to a room as that poses a security risk, which means having to go down to find them and collect. I know people do it and we've done it, but it really isn't a good alternative to a restaurant/bar in the hotel itself.

But I accept the race to the bottom and people will willingly accept it, even though since Covid it has become quite ridiculous in terms of pricing (and quality of delivery), yet despite the high price the delivery drivers still earn a pittance for the hours they work. That profit is going to some 'tech bros' in California.
My point is that the restaurants were loosing a lot of money. They are not commercially viable just for hotel guests.

Deliveroo can be used as an alternative to eating in the hotels restaurant, and is probably better.

The amount of people staying in a rural location that isn't walking distance to restaurant and don't have access to a car is a tiny minority and one that PI have decided isn't market they want to cater for.

dk1

Veteran Member
No thanks, have you seen the state of the insulated bags they deliver your food in?

Same goes for Uber Eats, Just Eat ect...

That is something that I always think looks horrendous. Glad I don’t use them either.