• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies who insist on you telephoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So I'm not going to name them, but this hacks me off.

I've just emailed a supplier about a quote to purchase some items. The request was very specific in terms of the requirement and in terms of the number of items required (on which there is no flexibility), as well as the organisation that was requiring a quote. There was no ambiguity at all.

Yet I've just received what seems to be an almost-standard email asking me to telephone them to discuss.

There is nothing *to* discuss. I hate negotiation over price; it is a waste of my time, and a waste of theirs, yet I detect this is what they are trying to do.

Please, just give me your best and final price first time, or say you don't want to quote and I'll go to somewhere else, probably a large business, who will quote me online. Or I'll simply purchase off Amazon.

And people want me to support small business?

And...breathe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Then why not send a 'standard for you' e-mail restating the requirement and request them to do one of the following:
1) if the rfq is understood and they wish to quote, send it by return
2) if the rfq is unclear or not understood and they wish to quote, send a request specifying further information required by return
3) if they do not wish to quote send a simple reply saying so​
I would suggest a date and/or time by which a nil response will be regarded as a lack of interest in doing business.
I would assume that a supplier that treats customers like that before getting an order would not be any better when they have a commitment from a customer. They also need to be reminded that to repeat a well used term: 'other suppliers are available', and those that can't understand that soon learn it when their reputation gets around.

AM9

Veteran Member
I sent a slightly pointed reply and they agreed to deal by email. But the whole thing smacked of "we can't be bothered, give us a ring"...
Why persist with a company that gives the impression that the 'can't be bothered'?

Status
Not open for further replies.