• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compensation due when using a season ticket valid in multiple directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hyperthetical question time.

Your travelling from Woking to Merstham via Guildford and Redhill.

You hold a season ticket from Shalford to London terminals. This is valid via Guildford or via Redhill.

You reach Shalford on time, on a train that in this case stops there. You are delayed at Redhill for 15 minutes or more due to a delayed or cancelled Govia Thameslink Railway train.

What parts of the journey are due compensation? From Woking to Merstham or from Shalford to Merstham?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hyperthetical question time.

Your travelling from Woking to Merstham via Guildford and Redhill.

You hold a season ticket from Shalford to London terminals. This is valid via Guildford or via Redhill.

You reach Shalford on time, on a train that in this case stops there. You are delayed at Redhill for 15 minutes or more due to a delayed or cancelled Govia Thameslink Railway train.

What parts of the journey are due compensation? From Woking to Merstham or from Shalford to Merstham?
I don't think the geographical extent of the ticket(s) used have any impact on the compensation payable. Your journey is from Woking to Merstham, and thus compensation is payable on the basis of the delay in arriving at Merstham. Of course, with a season ticket (or other BoJ-permitting ticket), it is possible to define the journey however one wishes, even post facto.

Equally, I don't think anyone would suggest that you're entitled to compensation for more than "one journey"'s worth of the season ticket's value, for just one journey (even if you pass through the season ticket's nominal origin/destination).

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't think the geographical extent of the ticket(s) used have any impact on the compensation payable. Your journey is from Woking to Merstham, and thus compensation is payable on the basis of the delay in arriving at Merstham. Of course, with a season ticket (or other BoJ-permitting ticket), it is possible to define the journey however one wishes, even post facto.

Equally, I don't think anyone would suggest that you're entitled to compensation for more than "one journey"'s worth of the season ticket's value, for just one journey (even if you pass through the season ticket's nominal origin/destination).
Thanks for the reply. What is hyperthetically speaking the journey you made was more expensive than the cost of a journey on one's season ticket.

I'm not saying that's the case with this example but I'm sure there would be others where it might be the case.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. What is hyperthetically speaking the journey you made was more expensive than the cost of a journey on one's season ticket.

I'm not saying that's the case with this example but I'm sure there would be others where it might be the case.
What do you mean? The overall price of the journey made, in terms of a walk-up ticket to a non-season-ticket-wielding punter, doesn't affect the compensation you are entitled to.

If you use several separate tickets you are entitled to compensation on all of them.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What do you mean? The overall price of the journey made, in terms of a walk-up ticket to a non-season-ticket-wielding punter, doesn't affect the compensation you are entitled to.

If you use several separate tickets you are entitled to compensation on all of them.
You said your not entitled to more than one seasons tickets worth of journey value but what if the journey between the two stations costs more than the value of your season ticket journey?

So you hold a ticket from A to B which allows you to either pass through C or D.

An A to B ticket is cheaper than C to D but you can travel between C to D using your season ticket because you pass through A.

So if your due the compensation between C to D than that is higher than A to B.

That maybe the correct answer. I just was wondering.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Yes the overall price of the walk up ticket.

There is only one ticket held and that is the season ticket.

To put it another way, if they applied for compensation for a journey between A to B they would get less compensation than if applying for C to D.

They travelled from C to D but using a season ticket valid from A to B.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The compensation for delayed journeys where you used one or more season ticket(s) is calculated based off a notional 'daily value' of the ticket, obtained by dividing the price of the season ticket by the number of working days on which it is expected that an average Monday-Friday commuter would use it. This is then treated as if it were the price of a return ticket held for travel that day: so (for TOCs subscribing to the Delay Repay compensation scheme) one 30-59 minute delay on a particular day would see you get 25% of the 'daily value' of the ticket back.

The price of any tickets other than those specifically which you used is not relevant to the calculation, regardless of whether you are undercutting them or not. Delay compensation is based purely off the value of the ticket(s) actually held.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The compensation for delayed journeys where you used one or more season ticket(s) is calculated based off a notional 'daily value' of the ticket, obtained by dividing the price of the season ticket by the number of working days on which it is expected that an average Monday-Friday commuter would use it. This is then treated as if it were the price of a return ticket held for travel that day: so (for TOCs subscribing to the Delay Repay compensation scheme) one 30-59 minute delay on a particular day would see you get 25% of the 'daily value' of the ticket back.

The price of any tickets other than those specifically which you used is not relevant to the calculation, regardless of whether you are undercutting them or not. Delay compensation is based purely off the value of the ticket(s) actually held.
Thanks that makes sense now.

Speaking personally, I thought in the past I'd had delay repay that was less than the value of my season ticket when the journey was shorter than the full length of my season ticket. Perhaps it wasn't the case but it felt like it. It was several years ago now.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks that makes sense now.

Speaking personally, I thought in the past I'd had delay repay that was less than the value of my season ticket when the journey was shorter than the full length of my season ticket. Perhaps it wasn't the case but it felt like it. It was several years ago now.
If that was the case, it was calculated incorrectly. If you had a York to London season ticket and were delayed between London and Finsbury Park by 30 minutes you would still be entitled to the same level of compensation as you would be if you were delayed from London to York by 30 minutes! Some train companies impose caps on the number of claims, or total amount that you can claim, to prevent people from (legitimately or otherwise) claiming for more than their season ticket cost them.

robbeech

Established Member
If that was the case, it was calculated incorrectly. If you had a York to London season ticket and were delayed between London and Finsbury Park by 30 minutes you would still be entitled to the same level of compensation as you would be if you were delayed from London to York by 30 minutes! Some train companies impose caps on the number of claims, or total amount that you can claim, to prevent people from (legitimately or otherwise) claiming for more than their season ticket cost them.

Why? If your journey was only between London and Finsbury Park?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Why? If your journey was only between London and Finsbury Park?
Because the compensation is based on the price of the ticket held. If someone with a York to London season ticket makes that journey and is delayed sufficiently to be entitled to delay compensation - something that seems extraordinarily unlikely given the service frequency! - they are entitled to the same amount of compensation as making a York to London journey. It might not 'feel' right but that's the way the systems work!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Because the compensation is based on the price of the ticket held. If someone with a York to London season ticket makes that journey and is delayed sufficiently to be entitled to delay compensation - something that seems extraordinarily unlikely given the service frequency! - they are entitled to the same amount of compensation as making a York to London journey. It might not 'feel' right but that's the way the systems work!
Your quite right on the it didn't feel right. Your asnwer wasn't what I was expecting. Most interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.