• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competency based question help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comfy

Hi I'm wondering on the best answer I should use for ''a time you've been on a training course over 2 weeks''. Would someone with good experience or ideally been involved in interviewing people with competency based questions let me inbox you my experience to see which is strongest?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi I'm wondering on the best answer I should use for ''a time you've been on a training course over 2 weeks''. Would someone with good experience or ideally been involved in interviewing people with competency based questions let me inbox you my experience to see which is strongest?
Thanks!
It's a difficult one sometimes. Ideally it would be something like signalling school, or some sort of emergency services course (recruitment/driving etc.), but as with most competency based questions, with a little thinking outside the box, seemingly mundane examples can be made to fit the question. It all depends on your background. I struggled with an answer when asked this one but as far as I recall I was only asked it at my DMI rather than MMI? I used an apprenticeship I had undertaken and emphasised that there was mainly self-learning required and I had to take responsibility for my own learning through use of supplied resources, as well as remain focussed and self-motived and disciplined.

They're looking for evidence that you'd be able to all intents and purposes go back to school for a number of weeks and will be able to adapt. Hope this helps, Good luck.

Rockhopper

They are also probably looking to see how you'd cope with being away from your family for an extended time.

hiredgun

They are also probably looking to see how you'd cope with being away from your family for an extended time.

After just a week stuck indoors with my family I’d be biting your arm off to get away for a few months!!!

ArchangelA

Thanks!
Fee free to inbox me and I'll try to help you out

Rhia

I recently changed careers and have decided to try and become a train driver. But my training course I undertook was becoming cabin crew two years ago. 6weeks intense training.

Rhia

I was asked a lot of probing questions regarding this. It is a very safety focused role in which I had to learn about all different airplane specifics and terminology I wasn’t familiar with. It required a lot of revision outside of classroom to ensure it stuck in my mind and I understood things. plus it’s also important to ensure you get enough rest and keep fit & healthy during this training period to be efficient during classroom time. Hope this helps

MOM67

I was asked a lot of probing questions regarding this. It is a very safety focused role in which I had to learn about all different airplane specifics and terminology I wasn’t familiar with. It required a lot of revision outside of classroom to ensure it stuck in my mind and I understood things. plus it’s also important to ensure you get enough rest and keep fit & healthy during this training period to be efficient during classroom time. Hope this helps

This is EXACTLY the sort of answer the interviewer is looking for. Embellish it a bit and you're home and dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.