• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's been cut back recently with the advent of the 10 minute daytime interval between Leeds and Harrogate the section on to Ripon has dropped back to a 20 minute interval whereas previously both had briefly a 15 minute interval. Historically there was a 30 minute interval on both sections with a hourly WYRCC/United Leeds-Ripon working boosted with a hourly WYRCC Leeds-Harrogate working and a hourly Ripon-Harrogate United X36, which used the Ripley bypass and the current 36 route in Harrogate compared to the wandering through northern Harrogate that the 36 used to take. After H&D took on United Ripon depot the X36 changed to a 36A running through to Leeds (again via the current 36 route in Harrogate but serving Ripley) then the service was boosted to every 20 minutes with a solitary 36 and two 36As a hour (the increased PVR was achieved by axing the X50 (York-)Harrogate-Otley-Ilkley-Skipton service. Shortly after the arrival of the original 36 Geminis the wandering 36 route in northern Harrogate was abandoned and only shortly after raised pavements were installed at the bus stops, many of which have been abandoned ever since. Further cuts come to the Harrogate-Ripon section from Jul 22 with three evening peak workings from Leeds diverted at Harrogate to run in service to the Starbeck depot.

I was talking about the 1986 situation where it was hourly out of Ripon. Challenger ran an hourly service (6) from 1987/8 and then United had the X36 as the express option as you say. Had Challenger not appeared, the uplift to half hourly from Ripon may never have happened?

Post 1996 is a completely different ball game :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Insensitive?? o_O I didn't realise you were so bereft of a sense of humour/perspective at Kit Kat Crescent. Believe me, I wasn't trolling - it was tongue in cheek remark in the first instance. Really :rolleyes:
It just seemed like a daft thing to say more than anything else. Perhaps you could have used emojis to communicate this? I mean - after all - you seem ever so keen to roll your eyes at me now...

Now, in terms of the frequency reduction, I'm not expecting street parties when such news is announced. However, I was referring to the posts on this thread and I generally regard people on these boards as having a modicum more insight than the average member of the general public. Am I wrong in that?
No, you're not. However, at the same time, @96tommy is well within his rights to have a moan if he's unhappy with the reduction in frequency!

Lastly, the future of CityZap York. Well, who knows what anything will look like in the next five years? In 2007, we had no idea what was ahead in terms of the financial collapse and recession. In 2012, we didn't know we'd have two elections and Brexit to have to deal with. A lot happens in five years - I look at my local network and the change in five years has been immense.

Now, if CityZap is performing well (I don't know if it is and I do find the press releases about "searing" or "scintillating" passenger figures grating though don't know), is it doing so at the expense of Coastliner? If it is cannibalising patronage, then you have a point. If not, you don't. If it isn't, then all that will happen is that they will lose a profitable service. If it is, then you'd question why they then extended the concept to Manchester?

You can be sceptical as much as you like but at the moment, I doubt that Alex Hornby would be supporting a dud service - he's just culled another.
I think you'll find I have a point anyway! As I said, CityZap may well be doing brilliantly - but that's a moot point if cutbacks have to be made because Transdev have the luxury of having a monopoly on buses on the A64 corridor and it is therefore fairly logical that they could get rid of the CityZap if need be because they have the 840/843 to fall back on.

It just seems sensible! If they DO have to make cuts, (and all operators have to eventually,) why not the CityZap? Nowhere loses out on a bus service if the CityZap goes - nobody finds out they can no longer get into town, or that they can't do their shopping anymore, because the Coastliner is also there. It is not anti-Transdev to state the obvious!

Perhaps Transdev wanted to try out the CityZap concept on Leeds-Manchester because they thought that it would be easier to compete with the train on timings over a longer distance where the train was slower. It's disingenuous to state 'CityZap is being tried out on the M62, ergo it must have been successful on the A64' because there are all sorts of other factors to consider; essentially, the company were 'testing the waters' but in the end likely found out that loadings were simply too low because consumers were unlikely to gravitate towards a bus journey for a longer distance; they'd prefer the relative comfort of the train. There is still a stigma around bus travel in the UK and CityZap were also competing with coaches between Leeds and Manchester.

(I'm not saying that this is gospel, only proffering an alternative theory as to why CityZap failed between Leeds and Manchester. There are probably all sorts of reasons why; I reckon that the above was one of them.)

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
I was talking about the 1986 situation where it was hourly out of Ripon. Challenger ran an hourly service (6) from 1987/8 and then United had the X36 as the express option as you say. Had Challenger not appeared, the uplift to half hourly from Ripon may never have happened
Post 1996 is a completely different ball game :)
Harrogate Independent Travel/Challenger had vanished/consumed into H&D before the 36/36A half hourly service came about. H&D applied for a new operators licence which combined the fleets on 1.11.93 and the HIT Ripon service was cancelled on 31.5.94. The United Ripon services were acquired on 27.10.96. (Source: Small is Beautiful - The story of the AJS Group and Blazefield Holdings Keith A. Jenkinson Autobus Review Publications 1999 ISBN 0 907834 42 6)

Strikes me the York Cityzap is the only new service Alex Hornby has introduced (as opposed to a tendered / taken over service) this side of the Pennines that has survived; the 762/62 extension to Harrogate and the 4/5 Harrogate Hospital services having come and gone.

Noticed that they still have not done anything despite all the #amazing 7 hype about the way out of date bus stop signs on the route in North Yorkshire.

backontrack

Established Member
It's also worth pointing out that Coastliner is reducing its number of services to Filey and Bridlington from three a day to a single 'X43' out and back via Scarborough, which runs only until the end of August.
And the new "express" bus to Bridlington takes longer than the "slow" bus it replaced.

Very surprised that York-Filey-Bridlington can't support more traffic, even with the (limited) competition from EYMS.
That's not correct
Weekdays currently dep Leeds 0945 change at Malton arr Bridlington 1254 (3hr 9)
Saturdays currently Leeds dep 0815 Bridlington arr 1124 (3hr 9)
New service dep Leeds 0850 arr Bridlington 1145 (2hr 55)
But the new service doesn't serve Tadcaster, Malton or Norton-on-Derwent...

The amount of passengers in winter is pretty paltry and the EYMS deals with lots of overlapping flows.
...but takes an age to get from York to Bridlington via Market Weighton, and you have to change to reach Filey.

Established Member
Strikes me the York Cityzap is the only new service Alex Hornby has introduced (as opposed to a tendered / taken over service) this side of the Pennines that has survived; the 762/62 extension to Harrogate and the 4/5 Harrogate Hospital services having come and gone.

Still a better record than this side of the Pennines.

johntea

Established Member
The Transdev Go mobile tickets now feature a QR code to scan like the paper tickets have featured for a while, took me by surprise this morning!

As I was taking a screenshot to upload I thought ‘hang on...’ but it looks like the pattern dynamically changes every few seconds.

With regards a couple of the other services, I wasn’t around Harrogate when they had the hospital services but those sound like a pointless idea when the 1 serves literally the doorstep of the Strayside hospital entrance from Knaresborough Road anyway!

The Leeds to York Cityzap would probably have a lot more interest if the bus station wasn’t at the opposite side to the rail station

Attachments

• D2499B8E-D96B-4DC0-8010-E067ED87AEB0.png
    D2499B8E-D96B-4DC0-8010-E067ED87AEB0.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 18

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Harrogate Independent Travel/Challenger had vanished/consumed into H&D before the 36/36A half hourly service came about. H&D applied for a new operators licence which combined the fleets on 1.11.93 and the HIT Ripon service was cancelled on 31.5.94. The United Ripon services were acquired on 27.10.96. (Source: Small is Beautiful - The story of the AJS Group and Blazefield Holdings Keith A. Jenkinson Autobus Review Publications 1999 ISBN 0 907834 42 6)

Noticed that they still have not done anything despite all the #amazing 7 hype about the way out of date bus stop signs on the route in North Yorkshire.

I'm probably not explaining myself that well so.....

Up until 1981 and the brutal bus cuts in North Yorkshire at that time, the 36 from Ripon to Harrogate was half hourly mainly operated by WYRCC with Nationals whilst United turned out a DP RELH. However, it was then reduced to hourly in Aug 1981 (IIRC). It necessitated the allocation of deckers including the introduction to United's Ripon depot who operated 5 round trips - in fact, they gained a VR, then a brand new Olympian in 1982 before it was realised it had too small a fuel tank for a full duty, so reverting back to VRs!!

That was the pattern of operation until 1986 and deregulation and beyond - in fact, I travelled on the route on the first Saturday of the new world! So it remained hourly from Ripon to Harrogate until the introduction of HIT (Challenger) and their 6 (think it was 1988) that operated opposite of United/WY's times. Mindful of WY being preoccupied with fighting HIT elsewhere in Harrogate, it was United who instituted the X36 Express - as you say, omitting Ripley and also running direct into Harrogate. The pattern was
  • UAS/WYRCC 36 at **.45 past the hour from Ripon and **.00 back from Harrogate (half hourly Harrogate to Leeds).
  • HIT 6 running at **.15 from Ripon and **.30 from Harrogate
  • United X36 running at **.05 ex Ripon and **.35 ex Harrogate
Again, as you say, you had the break up of WY, the formation of H&D and the subsequent purchase of HIT - the 6 may have gone but the X36 remained and I think was there until 1996. So my point is that from the introduction of the competitive service 6 by HIT, I don't believe the service from Ripon to Harrogate has ever gone back to hourly!! Arguably, competition stimulated growth on the corridor - a rare example!

As an aside, you'll doubtless you'll know that given the nature of Ripon depot's RTCs, there was a lot of vehicle interworking so no dedicated vehicle and therefore you could get anything on the X36 (spartan Bristol LHs were common). Blazefield eventually bought the Ripon operations - in fact, all they really wanted was to get full control of the 36 so they could market the thing correctly, lose the X36, and ensure decent vehicle quality on the main route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It just seemed like a daft thing to say more than anything else. Perhaps you could have used emojis to communicate this? I mean - after all - you seem ever so keen to roll your eyes at me now...

There isn't an appropriate emoji for you...

@tommy96 is well within his rights to have a moan if he's unhappy with the reduction in frequency!

Indeed, he most certainly has that right. However, with every right comes a responsibility to be look at things in totality. Was the reduction good news? No, and no one was indicating it was. Was it sensible to reduce back down to a sustainable level? Yes, it probably was. Is this something that has gone on repeatedly in the last 30 years across the country? Yes, it has.

For instance, I could say that "Connexions have a fleet comprising of increasingly aged, secondhand stuff discarded by larger operators". That's factually correct. However, given their business model, it would be unfair not to put things into context.

I think you'll find I have a point anyway! As I said, CityZap may well be doing brilliantly - but that's a moot point if cutbacks have to be made because Transdev have the luxury of having a monopoly on buses on the A64 corridor and it is therefore fairly logical that they could get rid of the CityZap if need be because they have the 840/843 to fall back on.

It just seems sensible! If they DO have to make cuts, (and all operators have to eventually,) why not the CityZap? Nowhere loses out on a bus service if the CityZap goes - nobody finds out they can no longer get into town, or that they can't do their shopping anymore, because the Coastliner is also there. It is not anti-Transdev to state the obvious!

Yes and I said this before, you have a point but ONLY IF CityZap is cannibalising Coastliner patronage (and given the fact it has so few stops, that potential is minimised). If it isn't, then you remove a profitable CityZap and lose the revenue. That is also obvious.

Also, let me proffer a scenario.... Alex Hornby goes into a meeting with Transdev board and an imagined transcript...

Transdev - Hi Alex, want to talk to you about CityZap to York? How's it going?
AH - We're losing our shirts on it?
Transdev - Why? Really? You justified the investment on it providing benefits on point to point, accessing the respective city centres and so being better than the train
AH - Yes, well the train is a bit more formidable than we thought, and we also have competition from the bus - our own Coastliner business
Transdev - Oh, that seems silly. We're losing money by competing with ourselves. What are you going to do?
AH - I want to introduce a service to Manchester
Transdev - What? Using the resources from withdrawing the York service?
AH - No, I need more investment to introduce a second service
Transdev - Why? How's that going to improve the ailing York service?
AH - It isn't but I thought we'd extend a flawed concept further, so I can do more PR, get more industry coverage, do more self promoting tweets - that sort of thing
Transdev - Right.... So this Manchester service - like the York one, it competes with rail?
AH - Yes but whilst Leeds Station is a bit periperhal, Manchester Picc is actually well placed. However, we might be ok with some discounted fares etc
Transdev - And we don't have competition from our own parallel (but slower) bus services?
AH - No but we do have National Express operating over the same route. However, I'm confident that the flawed operating concept that is losing us a boatload in York will be much better in Manchester
Transdev - Ok - get refurbishing those Volvos and away you go...

Ok, I know that's very tongue in cheek and hardly likely to have been the way it went :lol:. However, I'm trying to illustrate that if CityZap York were to be so marginal or worse, then I don't see how AH (I'm no fan but he's also no fool) would roll out a second route.

Now, in five years time, it may well be consigned to the realms of history - a brief image on a flickrstream. Or it could be like Red Arrow in Derby.

But the new service doesn't serve Tadcaster, Malton or Norton-on-Derwent...but takes an age to get from York to Bridlington via Market Weighton, and you have to change to reach Filey.

That probably reflects the travelling patterns! I've done the 845 in winter..... very sparse!!

backontrack

Established Member
There isn't an appropriate emoji for you...
I choose to take that as a compliment :D

Indeed, he most certainly has that right. However, with every right comes a responsibility to be look at things in totality. Was the reduction good news? No, and no one was indicating it was. Was it sensible to reduce back down to a sustainable level? Yes, it probably was. Is this something that has gone on repeatedly in the last 30 years across the country? Yes, it has.

For instance, I could say that "Connexions have a fleet comprising of increasingly aged, secondhand stuff discarded by larger operators". That's factually correct. However, given their business model, it would be unfair not to put things into context.
Internet discussion doesn't have to work on an eye-for-an-eye basis. We're not the BBC; we don't work on a flawed 'equal balance' system (if we did, Nigel Lawson would be blathering on about how 'climate change is a myth' every five seconds. If @tommy96 wants to complain about the service level reducing then he's not obliged to immediately say something bad about Connexions. It doesn't make him anti-Transdev or pro-Connexions, because it's factually accurate. If he said 'Connexions have a fleet comprising of increasingly aged, secondhand stuff discarded by larger operators', then that's still factually accurate - and could be a reason why passengers might choose Transdev over Connexions.

From the business's point of view, it is crucial to look at things holistically. But, from a public perspective, that doesn't matter. It really is as simple as that.

Yes and I said this before, you have a point but ONLY IF CityZap is cannibalising Coastliner patronage (and given the fact it has so few stops, that potential is minimised). If it isn't, then you remove a profitable CityZap and lose the revenue. That is also obvious.

I've also said before that I have a point either way! If Transdev have to get rid of something, then they could afford to drop - or better yet, reduce the service - on CityZap fairly easily because they also operate Coastliner down that same corridor and they would retain the monopoly they have on bus services on that route, irrespective of how well CityZap is doing. It doesn't take a genius to know that!

Coastliner would probably mop up at least some of the revenue, and Transdev could still keep a few peak journeys working the York-Leeds route (when the most people are travelling) - I imagine that, over time, these would be incorporated into the Coastliner brand. It's a purely theoretical situation, but one that, to my mind, seems quite likely.

I appreciate that Transdev axing a profitable service in CityZap might seem like 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. However, if an adequate saving can be made by stopping the service, it may be something that Transdev consider seriously.

Look at the X64 and the 743. Neither of those services are still here today; admittedly the latter basically got rid of the former, but by that point Transdev decided that they didn't need the 743 anyway. Is there enough demand for the service long-term?

Also, let me proffer a scenario.... Alex Hornby goes into a meeting with Transdev board and an imagined transcript...

Transdev - Hi Alex, want to talk to you about CityZap to York? How's it going?
AH - We're losing our shirts on it?
Transdev - Why? Really? You justified the investment on it providing benefits on point to point, accessing the respective city centres and so being better than the train
AH - Yes, well the train is a bit more formidable than we thought, and we also have competition from the bus - our own Coastliner business
Transdev - Oh, that seems silly. We're losing money by competing with ourselves. What are you going to do?
AH - I want to introduce a service to Manchester
Transdev - What? Using the resources from withdrawing the York service?
AH - No, I need more investment to introduce a second service
Transdev - Why? How's that going to improve the ailing York service?
AH - It isn't but I thought we'd extend a flawed concept further, so I can do more PR, get more industry coverage, do more self promoting tweets - that sort of thing
Transdev - Right.... So this Manchester service - like the York one, it competes with rail?
AH - Yes but whilst Leeds Station is a bit periperhal, Manchester Picc is actually well placed. However, we might be ok with some discounted fares etc
Transdev - And we don't have competition from our own parallel (but slower) bus services?
AH - No but we do have National Express operating over the same route. However, I'm confident that the flawed operating concept that is losing us a boatload in York will be much better in Manchester
Transdev - Ok - get refurbishing those Volvos and away you go...

None of us know what any meeting could have been like. Equally, it could have been like this...

Transdev - Hi Alex, we'd like to talk to you about CityZap to York. How's it going?
Alex Hornby - We're doing fairly well, but we could be doing better.
Transdev - In what way?
AH - Loadings are all right, but it's still quite difficult to compete with the train, which is obviously so much quicker.
Transdev - Hmm. Let's keep the York service for now. Anything else?
AH - I've been thinking about introducing a CityZap service from Leeds to Manchester.
Transdev - Go on...
AH - Well, the train takes a lot longer to get from Leeds to Manchester, via a more arduous route. I think that, with a bus straight down the M62, it'd be easier to compete with rail - over a longer distance. The train's been very unreliable recently - it's been all over the news - and all the peak-time trains are packed.
There are coaches down that route too, and we could undercut their fares. We can stop at Ainley Top too - serving the intermediate market in Calderdale and Kirklees.
Transdev - How?
AH - First operate the 503 from Halifax to Huddersfield via Ainley Top.
Transdev - I see. Any downside?
AH - Well, this is unprecedented. I've 'done my homework', so to speak, and I think I can make it work - but it's still quite risky.
Transdev - But if it works...
AH - Indeed. And we won't lose too much if it doesn't. We have to take risks in this business - and we can experiment, and 'test the waters', with a less frequent service than exists on the York corridor.
Transdev - OK then. You can start on those Volvo buses. But if becomes obvious that it's not going to pay its way, then you pull out - straight away.
AH - Will do! By the way: what should we do about the York service?
Transdev - Keep it going - for now. If we can get any revenue out of that then there's not much point in scrapping it now - at least while there's no need to make cutbacks.
AH - OK.

We just don't know. We're both speculating.

That probably reflects the travelling patterns! I've done the 845 in winter..... very sparse!!
In winter? Yes, perhaps.

In summer? Nooooooooooo.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I choose to take that as a compliment

I wouldn't - there just wasn't one of a downcast individual watching their team getting humped 7-1 by Barnsley....at home :D

Internet discussion doesn't have to work on an eye-for-an-eye basis.

Indeed - you're supporting his right to be biased; whilst I commend you for that, I personally have find the best discussions to be those that can actually understand and explore the situation in totality. Basically, biased, myopic statements of whatever view just don't hold as much gravitas as a balanced, well thought argument. Must've misjudged this board over the last few years - a place for reasoned and rationale discussion is really just an echo chamber.

Coastliner would probably mop up at least some of the revenue, and Transdev could still keep a few peak journeys working the York-Leeds route (when the most people are travelling) - I imagine that, over time, these would be incorporated into the Coastliner brand.

Again, I reiterate the point. If CityZap ISN'T cannibalising revenue from Coastliner, why is it going to be mopped up Coastliner on its demise?

My transcript was tongue in cheek but as I say, if the CityZap York is underperforming as 96tommy has continually highlighted, I really don't see AH then going up in front of the Transdev board.

As for cutting back services and resources, if it's profitable and making a decent return, then why would they cut their nose off? As I said before, there are possibly a number of other services and locations that may equally if not more at risk. In fact, given Alex Hornby's penchant for publicity, he might well be adverse to culling a "pet project" that he has personally championed in advance of others? Of course, should AH move on, then that's a different kettle...

The 845 is dismal in winter. Granted, it is much busier in summer but Transdev will have looked at those particular locations and seen that the traffic was not sufficient - the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

backontrack

Established Member
I wouldn't - there just wasn't one of a downcast individual watching their team getting humped 7-1 by Barnsley....at home :D
:lol:

This current team would probably be squashed by Bradford Park Avenue or Workington Reds...

Indeed - you're supporting his right to be biased; whilst I commend you for that, I personally have find the best discussions to be those that can actually understand and explore the situation in totality. Basically, biased, myopic statements of whatever view just don't hold as much gravitas as a balanced, well thought argument. Must've misjudged this board over the last few years - a place for reasoned and rationale discussion is really just an echo chamber.
Those sorts of discussions are likely the best ones, you are right; yet there is still nothing wrong with @96tommy's factual statement. And he's simply pointing out the truth - not particularly biased there.

If you want bias, one of users who frequents this thread has elsewhere called Connexions 'Connoxious'...

Again, I reiterate the point. If CityZap ISN'T cannibalising revenue from Coastliner, why is it going to be mopped up Coastliner on its demise?

Because not all of the CityZap customers would go back to rail. I reckon some would stick with the bus, and get the Coastliner service - admittedly taking a bit longer, but then the CityZap already takes twice as long as the train to reach either York or Leeds.

As for cutting back services and resources, if it's profitable and making a decent return, then why would they cut their nose off? As I said before, there are possibly a number of other services and locations that may equally if not more at risk. In fact, given Alex Hornby's penchant for publicity, he might well be adverse to culling a "pet project" that he has personally championed in advance of others? Of course, should AH move on, then that's a different kettle...
Alex Hornby didn't have any problems with getting rid of the Manchester service when it was clear that it wasn't going to pay. I'm not saying that the York service would find itself in that same position - but that, for all the CityZap service has been fêted by Transdev, it still likely isn't their 'flagship' service in the region - Coastliner and the 36 are the main routes.

The 845 is dismal in winter. Granted, it is much busier in summer but Transdev will have looked at those particular locations and seen that the traffic was not sufficient - the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
Perhaps, but it still seems counterintuitive to cut off some of their main stops.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
I think I've said all I wanted to - I hope that the York City fans have an enjoyable season - safe travelling to the fleshpots of Hereford and Brackley!!
Thanks, and you too with your team. That those towns are even in the National League North is pretty ludicrous...

backontrack

Established Member
Thanks - I may even see you around at a fixture ;) - Brackley and Hereford are easier for me to get to though. Best of luck and hope you come second - I hope you get my drift :D
Have fun in second place :) Are you a Hereford fan? Or maybe Telford...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Got it - Bradford Park Avenue or narp? If so...poor you!

Ahhh.....but did I develop some bizarre allegiance to Nuneaton when I used to work in Bedworth.....??? Or did I live in Croft on Tees and so support Darlington over the river and relative civilisation? Or perhaps lived in Eppleby, supported Evenwood Town and so was assimilated when they merged with Spennymoor???

I'll leave it there before people get too confused....including me!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Fascinated with the history there regarding the '36' route - I couldn't remember that HIT/Challenger actually went there. It sounds like I need to get hold of a copy of the book mentioned at #723. I was fortunate enough last year to obtain a full back set of WYIS newsletters covering a period of around 30-40 years and when I get round to looking at them, I'm sure they'll throw up a lot of interesting facts too. (Currently they are in a large pile in my spare room!)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Fascinated with the history there regarding the '36' route - I couldn't remember that HIT/Challenger actually went there. It sounds like I need to get hold of a copy of the book mentioned at #723. I was fortunate enough last year to obtain a full back set of WYIS newsletters covering a period of around 30-40 years and when I get round to looking at them, I'm sure they'll throw up a lot of interesting facts too. (Currently they are in a large pile in my spare room!)

Here’s the proof https://flic.kr/p/AJ7VMr

theblackwatch

Established Member
It would appear that the electric Volvo's have been delivered.
https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/1018889200815439872

Sam

I'm not convinced that picture is at Starbeck, although I know one has appeared in the past day or two. Although the new timetable comes into effect at the weekend, I don't think the electric buses will be entering service quite yet, given the vagueness of the replies I've seen on Facebook.

Going back to the earlier '36' discussions, I managed to find a copy of "Small is Beautiful - The story of the AJS Group and Blazefield Holdings" on Amazon yesterday, and I arrived home today to find it waiting for me. Should be a good read at some point!

SCH117X

Established Member
Judging by photos and twitter comments referencing one being seen on low loader yesterday/today(/tomorrow probably) I would suggest the photo of them all lined up was at the Volvo dealership at Coventry.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Judging by photos and twitter comments referencing one being seen on low loader yesterday/today(/tomorrow probably) I would suggest the photo of them all lined up was at the Volvo dealership at Coventry.

The line up photo was taken at the Volvo Truck & Bus Centre in Loughborough, where the buses have been for a while.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Went into York from Tadcaster yesterday. £8?! I know the usual bunch will stick up for transdev but that is outrageous. Might have to use the 37 from now on. Coastliner has gone really down hill the last few years and they reward passengers with astronomical prices like that.

How much do they charge to Leeds?
In 2007 both were £4.80 day return.

SCH117X

Established Member
Changes from 22 July sourced from NYCC ...
Connexions axe 4 X1s at the extremities of their timetable (0650 and 1815 from St James, 0705 and 0720 from Harrogate), retime all remaining X1s before 0845 (no further details as yet), reduce the X70 to two hourly between Wetherby and Tadcaster and retime their first X6 working to 0900 whilst axing the 1730 return from Harrogate.
Timetables now released by Connexions http://www.connexionsbuses.com/uncategorized/service-changes-from-22nd-july-2018/
X1 Pre 0830 from Knaresborough St James - 0730NS and 0800 (currently have 0650NS, 0720, 0735NS, 0750 and 0815)
Pre 0845 from Harrogate - 0730, 0800 and 0830 (currently have 0705NS, 0720NS, 0730, 0745, 0800 and 0820)
In the afternoon two further journeys will be schooldays excepted in both directions, 1545 and 1645, in addition to 1515 and 1615 from Harrogate, and 1515 and 1615, in addition to 1545 from Knaresborough.

darloscott

Looks to me like they've managed to add some schools into the X1 timetable, presumably in an attempt to provide better profitability, it helps to pay the bills while they've still got a half decent frequent service during the daytime.

SCH117X

Established Member
The retained the am peak X1s run 4 mins in front of Transdevs 1A from St James and they wonder why Transdev will not co-operate with them aka Reliance.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The retained the am peak X1s run 4 mins in front of Transdevs 1A from St James and they wonder why Transdev will not co-operate with them aka Reliance.

...and despite their frequent moans about traffic issues in Harrogate, they continue to schedule an unrealistic 25mins end to end journey time, even at peak times!!

Status
Not open for further replies.