• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
Just seen the new Transdev website. No PDF timetables to download, a retrograde step... :'(
Yeah, doesn’t appear to be any way of printing timetables in any form. Well it certainly bucks the trend of those company’s choosing to only offer printable online timetables, instead of traditional printed ones! #Amazing

Andyh82

Established Member
It looks very similar to sites I’ve seen elsewhere, that usually offer the ‘print PDF’ option, so it might be coming.

Good that you can now track buses on a live map, and with fleet numbers as well.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It looks very similar to sites I’ve seen elsewhere, that usually offer the ‘print PDF’ option, so it might be coming.

Good that you can now track buses on a live map, and with fleet numbers as well.

Yes, it’s becoming a common format for bus company websites, and probably among the best designs. Its by Passenger, and a list of their clients can be found here https://www.discoverpassenger.com/partners/
Like you suggest, there is normally a print PDF option, so hopefully just an initial omission.

SCH117X

Established Member
The pdfs on the old site typically froze IE for some odd reason on my pc. Full fare details remain a noticeable absence; what is it about most bus operators hiding their fare tables etc from web sites and I was under the impression it is a requirement of the Buses Act so something a new web site should have addressed. The York site is a noticeable improvement on the old one with the services listed numerically rather than scrambled up as they were previously, like Connexions service list.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, it’s becoming a common format for bus company websites, and probably among the best designs. Its by Passenger, and a list of their clients can be found here https://www.discoverpassenger.com/partners/
Like you suggest, there is normally a print PDF option, so hopefully just an initial omission.

What you actually got when you downloaded the pdfs on their old site was a pdf of their well-designed paper timetables, with maps showing major stops and sections highlighting attractions on the route.

Stan Drews

Established Member
What you actually got when you downloaded the pdfs on their old site was a pdf of their well-designed paper timetables, with maps showing major stops and sections highlighting attractions on the route.
Yeah, that’s usually what the other websites, designed by Passenger, offer as pdf downloads. They generally offer separate map and timetable pdfs, and in the case of Reading Buses, fare tables too.
The other thing I noted missing from the new Transdev sites was any network maps, which is again a surprising omission, given how much the CEO bangs on about their importance!
I wonder how much checking they did, prior to launch?

Established Member
Yeah, that’s usually what the other websites, designed by Passenger, offer as pdf downloads. They generally offer separate map and timetable pdfs, and in the case of Reading Buses, fare tables too.
The other thing I noted missing from the new Transdev sites was any network maps, which is again a surprising omission, given how much the CEO bangs on about their importance!
I wonder how much checking they did, prior to launch?

I don't know what Alex Hornby thinks about them, but as far as I was aware Transdev don't do network maps? (Unlike almost any other notable bus operator in the UK)

Andyh82

Established Member
I don't know what Alex Hornby thinks about them, but as far as I was aware Transdev don't do network maps? (Unlike almost any other notable bus operator in the UK)
They do do maps, the local area guides generally have a town map, and then maybe an inter urban links map. Rosso also have two separate maps, and there are the Lancashire and Yorkshire days out guides that gave the illustrated maps.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It does seem odd for the sites not to be complete as they've been advertising them as a huge improvement for weeks. They're different, but I'm not seeing any huge improvements except for the realtime buses - and they were already on the app.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It does seem odd for the sites not to be complete as they've been advertising them as a huge improvement for weeks. They're different, but I'm not seeing any huge improvements except for the realtime buses - and they were already on the app.

The lack of network maps is really puzzling, as they already exist within most of their local printed guides, so would be a very simple case of adding the appropriate pdf files to the website.
The individual route maps are a huge improvement, as they were either non-existent or littered with errors on the old site.

Established Member
Another change I think they should make is to rearrange the lists of routes to put all the regular services at the top rather than having some below the school routes, or just remove the school routes entirely - most if not all are contracts which will presumably be well publicised by the relevant school and are of no interest to anyone else.

RustySpoons

I have to agree there does seem to be a few backwards steps. The removal of PDF format timetables is a big one. Apparently they can be re-added, but for some reason they waiting for feedback first! Odd, you'd think that'd be the most required feature.

Ant158

Received this tweet from Blackburn Bus co earlier, looks like the pdfs will return.

“Hi, we have checked and although not initially included. Due to feedback requests such as yours the link to the PDF timetable will soon be available. The new journey planner is another option for customers to use. Many thanks for contacting us regarding this matter.”

Alexbus12

Received this tweet from Blackburn Bus co earlier, looks like the pdfs will return.

“Hi, we have checked and although not initially included. Due to feedback requests such as yours the link to the PDF timetable will soon be available. The new journey planner is another option for customers to use. Many thanks for contacting us regarding this matter.”

Good to see, #Amazing

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Another change I think they should make is to rearrange the lists of routes to put all the regular services at the top rather than having some below the school routes, or just remove the school routes entirely - most if not all are contracts which will presumably be well publicised by the relevant school and are of no interest to anyone else.

Although the new maps don't make clear which bits are once a day or Sunday alterations.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
None of the area tickets on Keighley site actually specify where they're valid, or have a map.
How does anyone check what ticket they need without that?

Established Member
None of the area tickets on Keighley site actually specify where they're valid, or have a map.

The Burnley tickets do have a description, but it doesn't specify the exact boundaries (Padiham - which stop?) and doesn't mention a limit relevant to the X43. But in my experience the drivers don't necessarily know when a ticket is valid, so how is anyone else supposed to know.

The issue I mention above was whether a Burnley area ticket is valid on a 152 between Burnley and Padiham - it's in the area, and is advertised as part of the Mainline service, but isn't a Burnley Bus Company bus. The current wording of the website implies not - which if true means the formerly every 7/8 minute Mainline service for many passengers is now 4 buses per hour with some 20 minute gaps.

Andyh82

Established Member
They don’t distinguish between different Transdev company, any ticket is available on all of them in the relevant area. This was one thing immediately brought in when they bought Rosso

lyndhurst25

Established Member

Exactly. I had to email Transdev to ask to which stop in Colne on the M4 bus route that their KDay ticket is valid to. In case you need to know, it's the one outside the Crown pub, near to the railway station.

Established Member
They don’t distinguish between different Transdev company, any ticket is available on all of them in the relevant area. This was one thing immediately brought in when they bought Rosso

Perhaps this is true, but the website says "travel on any Burnley Bus Company, Mainline or Witchway bus in Burnley. Valid as far as Harle Syke, Casterton Ave, Worsthorne & Padiham." They've gone out of their way to cover which brands it's valid on, but make no mention of the Blackburn Bus Company or Rosso (you can also make a journey within Burnley on the 483). I'm sure at one time it was simply any Transdev bus, but it doesn't sound like it is now.

SCH117X

Established Member
PDF timetable has reappeared for the 36 - button above the Update button for the web page timetable. Tweet by Alex Hornby earlier today promised network and route maps

Andyh82

Established Member
PDF timetable has reappeared for the 36 - button above the Update button for the web page timetable. Tweet by Alex Hornby earlier today promised network and route maps
The network maps are on for at least Harrogate as well.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Quite a few Keighley routes don't actually show any times - mostly school and Sunday only services - even when you select the right day (and there's no indication that these routes aren't supposed to run every day).

The school routes which do show times don't let you know which are school-only routes and which are available to the general public.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Quite a few Keighley routes don't actually show any times - mostly school and Sunday only services - even when you select the right day (and there's no indication that these routes aren't supposed to run every day).
They do on my screen

Status
Not open for further replies.