• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition To Name Bull At Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
As long as it isn't "Bully McBull Face" I don't really mind, but I am sure someone will suggest this though.

It will be a useful meeting point, as New Street station can be confusing at times, especially for those who are unfamiliar with the station.

New footage released of ‘Raging Bull’ as naming competition launched​

Latest pictures of the Commonwealth Games’ ‘Raging Bull’ have been released to kick-off a naming competition ahead of it coming home to Birmingham New Street station this summer.

Today (Wednesday 24 May) Network Rail and the West Midlands Combined Authority have launched a nationwide competition to give the bull a permanent new name.

For the next two weeks people can email their name suggestions to [email protected], and by Wednesday 7 June the top names will be shortlisted.

These will then be put to a public vote with the final name being revealed by 23 June ahead of the bull’s official unveiling in the station towards the end of July.

The much-loved centrepiece to last year’s Games’ opening ceremony is undergoing major work to make it suitable for its new home on the station concourse.

Special effects designers Artem, which originally built the bull, are re-moulding new parts so it meets fire regulations and fitting exciting new mechanisms so its head, eyes and tail can continue to move in similar ways to how they did during the Games.

Peter, Lord Hendy of Richmond Hill, chair of Network Rail, said: “Much work has been going on to get the bull ready for its new home at Birmingham New Street, where it will be a towering piece of art admired by the thousands of people who use the station every day.
“As the internationally recognised symbol of the hugely successful Commonwealth Games in Birmingham last summer, for which the railway family worked hard to make travel to and from the Games a success, Network Rail is honoured to be entrusted with this much loved icon for public display.”
Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands, said: “Thanks to Network Rail’s sterling efforts, the bull will soon have a permanent home back in Birmingham. It’s brilliant news that such a treasure will soon be returned – one that so perfectly captured the spirit of the 2022 Commonwealth Games we were so fortunate to play host to. As well as being a delightful attraction for tourists and local people to marvel at and enjoy, the bull will always be a reminder of our success – spurring us on to even greater heights in the months and years ahead. I cannot wait to see it back home and I’m sure residents right across our region feel the same.”
Mike Kelt, CEO of special effects company Artem, said: “It has been an honour to remake the Bull so it can live on to remind everyone of the Commonwealth experience, and the fantastic history that is locked up in Birmingham’s past.”
The upgrades to the bull are due to be completed in the coming weeks when it will then be brought to Birmingham and reassembled before a grand unveiling ahead of the first anniversary of the Commonwealth Games.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Puffing Bully would be my preferred pun. It works on rather a number of level.s

Dr Hoo

Established Member
This is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the (French) Norman history behind New Street.

The name New Street actually comes from a translation from the Latin Novus Vicus, the road built around 1100 to link the modest Manor House of William de Bermingham to the more important Dudley Castle of William Fitz-Ansculf, both parts of the Norman establishment. The Manor House was really a fairly modest rural property - the sort of thing that might now appear in a catalogue of French gîtes.

So why not call the animatronic bovine "Bull-gîte"?

pdeaves

Established Member
How about draw a circle round it for waiting people to wait in out of the way. Call it the Bull Ring. That should be clear and unambiguous... :D

Steve (Bull)
It seems quite a good idea to put this bull (which looked very impressive when it was near the Library tram stop) into the New Street concourse. But I hope that someone knows its weight, and that we can be assured that the concrete floor on which it will stand will be strong enough to support it, long term.

pdeaves

Established Member
I hope that someone knows its weight, and that we can be assured that the concrete floor on which it will stand will be strong enough to support it, long term.
In seriousness, I am confident that this has been considered. Much of it is being rebuilt in different materials for fire safety reasons and I cannot believe that other safety factors like weight haven't also been taken into account. Never say never, as it were, but I think it will be fine.

duncanp

Established Member
There is now a shortlist of Ozzy, Bostin, Brummie or Boulton.
You have six days left to vote.

Commonwealth Games Raging Bull getting a new name - shortlist in full​

People have seven days to vote for their favourite name for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games bull

The naming of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games bull has been shortlisted to four possibilities. Scores of people have been submitting name suggestions for the city's much-loved bully boy.

Almost 2,000 contributors have put names forward to name the mechanical bull after it became a massive hit at the sporting events' opening ceremony last summer. Judges have now whittled these names down to the final four.

It will either be called Ozzy, Bostin, Brummie or Boulton. A public vote - which opens today, Tuesday, June 13 - will now decide the final outcome.

It is part of a competition launched by Network Rail and the West Midlands Combined Authority. There’s just seven days to vote before one of the stars of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games is officially named, ahead of its unveiling at Birmingham New Street station next month.

Votes can be cast here until 11:59pm on Tuesday, June 20. The bull’s permanent new name will be announced shortly afterwards. The final shortlisting was carried out by the Mayor of the West Midlands, Andy Street, and Peter, Lord Hendy of Richmond Hill, chair of Network Rail. Both organisations have worked together to save the bull and find a permanent home for it in the heart of Birmingham.

Peter, Lord Hendy of Richmond Hill, chair of Network Rail, said: “The response to the competition was amazing with nearly 2,000 people sending in their suggestions. It was an honour to work with the West Midlands Mayor Andy Street to choose the final four, but it’s over to the public to make the all-important final decision.

“The bull was an icon of the Commonwealth Games and we just had to save it, and give it a permanent home at Birmingham New Street station.”

What do you think of the names? Let us know in the comments below

Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands, added: “So the time has come for people to have their say and choose a name for the iconic Bull that so wonderfully captured the spirit of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. Will it be Ozzy, Brummie, Bostin or Boulton? The choice is yours.

"I cannot wait to see what the public decide they want tourists and local people to call the Bull as they marvel at it in the brilliant setting of New Street Station in the months and years ahead.”

The finishing touches are being made to the bull by special effects firm Artem, which designed and built the much-loved centrepiece to last year's Birmingham 2022 Opening Ceremony. Once complete it'll be shipped from its base in West London to the West Midlands and rebuilt on the concourse at Birmingham New Street station. A grand unveiling will take place ahead of the first anniversary of the Commonwealth Games.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There is now a shortlist of Ozzy, Bostin, Brummie or Boulton.
You have six days left to vote.

Ozzy Osbourne and James Boulton are obvious enough, and Brummie is self-evident, but what's the connection to Bostin? the BBC news article said it was as obvious as Brummie but as a non-midlander it's lost on me.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Ozzy Osbourne and James Boulton are obvious enough, and Brummie is self-evident, but what's the connection to Bostin? the BBC news article said it was as obvious as Brummie but as a non-midlander it's lost on me.
Brummie/Black Country slang...

Bostin' is a well-known word meaning amazing, brilliant or excellent. Bost is (like the similar word bust) slang for broken, and so the word bostin' means the same as 'smashing.'

zwk500

Veteran Member
Brummie/Black Country slang...

Bostin' is a well-known word meaning amazing, brilliant or excellent. Bost is (like the similar word bust) slang for broken, and so the word bostin' means the same as 'smashing.'
Many thanks!

Bostin' or Boulton the Bull (maybe both) would work quite well!

duncanp

Established Member

The area where the bull will be placed has been closed off with barriers.

The picture in the linked article shows exactly where this is.

My vote is for Bostin

At least we didn't have something stupid like Bully McBull Face

zwk500

Veteran Member
At least we didn't have something stupid like Bully McBull Face
I think after Boaty Mcboatface anybody running a competition like this has realised they need to take the sensible precaution of vetting the submissions in some way.

duncanp

Established Member
I think after Boaty Mcboatface anybody running a competition like this has realised they need to take the sensible precaution of vetting the submissions in some way.

It will provide a useful meeting place if you are meeting anyone arriving by train, as Birmingham New Street can be confusing to anyone unfamiliar with it.

Rescars

Traditionally the place to meet at stations has been under the clock. So how about Clock'n Bull? :D

duncanp

Established Member
Traditionally the place to meet at stations has been under the clock. So how about Clock'n Bull? :D

I don't think there is a clock at Birmingham New Street under which you can meet, unlike at London Waterloo.

However at Birmingham New Street you could arrange to meet under the bull's <insert well known slang word for male genitalia> <D <D

Dave W

Bostin the Bull. It certainly was a bostin bit of kit when I saw it on the middle Sunday of the games.

And bosted, since it wor working no more ;)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Didn’t Boaty McBoatface win though? In the end the ship became the David Attenborough.

The exile

Established Member
I don't think there is a clock at Birmingham New Street under which you can meet, unlike at London Waterloo.

However at Birmingham New Street you could arrange to meet under the bull's <insert well known slang word for male genitalia> <D <D
At Hannover Hbf the place to meet is under the horse’s tail (equestrian statue outside). Unfortunately the German word for tail has another anatomical meaning…

tomuk

Established Member
On a quick sidenote, Bullseye was made by ITV Central but at the Lenton Lane studios in Nottingham.
Bullseye for the first 10 years was shot at the ATV\Central studios in Broad Street. It started under ATV in 1981 and Lenton Lane didn't open until early 1984. It was the same with Price is Right it was shot at both Broad street and Lenton Lane.

All Line Rover

Established Member
This is the sort of essential trivia Network Rail need to waste our taxes on. Bravo!

My nomination is Bullock. The bovine creature.

duncanp

Established Member
This is the sort of essential trivia Network Rail need to waste our taxes on. Bravo!

My nomination is Bullock. The bovine creature.

I doubt whether there is a significant cost to Network Rail involved in running the competition or having the bull in the station in the first place.

Having the bull in the middle of Birmingham New Street station may attract more people to go there, who would presumably spend money in the shops and cafes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.