• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compulsory reservations and walk-up tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

I am considering a trip as follows: 6 Sep Southport to Wylde Green, 8 Sep Wylde Green to Birmingham International and then to Southport. Senior Railcard Off Peak return fare applies. I suppose I will need a Day Return Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International as well. I could just buy the Southport to Wylde Green ticket at the Merseyrail ticket office at Southport on the day, but I am concerned about the issue of compulsory reservations, which are mentioned when I look online at TOC site to sell the tickets. If I just walk up and buy the tickets before travel, what's the situation with reservations? If I buy online and request reservations, what is my position when I board the 14.55 at Birmingham International, heading for Wigan, when any reservation I might have will start from New Street?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You don't need reservations on any of those services. In fact the only operators insisting on reservations are Caledonian Sleeper and Grand Central, neither of which you'll be taking.

The reason that booking engines will be telling you that you 'must' have a reservation is that the timetable data isn't very granular. There's no way for TOCs to set it so booking engines are forced to issue a reservation (so they can monitor the number of people intending to travel on a given service) without booking engines interpreting this as meaning that reservations are compulsory for that service.

sonic2009

Established Member
I am considering a trip as follows: 6 Sep Southport to Wylde Green, 8 Sep Wylde Green to Birmingham International and then to Southport. Senior Railcard Off Peak return fare applies. I suppose I will need a Day Return Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International as well. I could just buy the Southport to Wylde Green ticket at the Merseyrail ticket office at Southport on the day, but I am concerned about the issue of compulsory reservations, which are mentioned when I look online at TOC site to sell the tickets. If I just walk up and buy the tickets before travel, what's the situation with reservations? If I buy online and request reservations, what is my position when I board the 14.55 at Birmingham International, heading for Wigan, when any reservation I might have will start from New Street?

Split your ticket at Crewe to save £3.90 vs purchasing a Southport to Wylde Green SVR at £37.35.

PriceDescription
Southport to Crewe
Anytime Short Distance Return (SHR)
(Senior Railcard)
£13.65
Crewe to Wylde Green
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
(Senior Railcard)
£19.80
  • Travel is allowed via any permitted route.
  • Restriction CS applies - click for details

Purchasing the above also means you can leave Southport earlier than 0900 with the Anytime ticket to Crewe, as long as your train from Crewe leaves after 0900.

JBuchananGB

Thank you for the split ticketing advice. I wonder how the folks at Merseyrail will handle that when I rock up at their ticket office!

sonic2009

Established Member
Thank you for the split ticketing advice. I wonder how the folks at Merseyrail will handle that when I rock up at their ticket office!

Shouldn't be an issue, just ask for those tickets.

Just to let you know the splits are valid via either Liverpool or Wigan depending on which way you decide to travel.

JBuchananGB

No problem obtaining the tickets. Encountered a problem on the return part of the journey when inserting the return portion of the Anytime Short Distance return into the barrier at Wigan Wallgate. Rejected with code 113. Ticket clearly marked valid from 6-Sep to 5-Oct. Gateline staff allowed me through. Also rejected when exiting at Southport with same code. Gateline staff let me through and I let them keep the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.