• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Concessionary pass funding when using pass from outside local area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I have a Freedom Pass, when I use it in say, Manchester, who pays for my journeys? Does TfGM foot the bill, or do they pass the bill on to TfL/London councils?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
I believe it is paid by the authority where the pass is used.

Some local authorities in popular tourist areas have pointed out that they are doling out payment, but the government grant is going elsewhere. e.g. more residents of Barnsley take holidays in Cornwall, than residents of Cornwall indulge in a fortnight in sun-kissed Barnsley.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Yes, it's the local council where the bus is boarded who pays. Its also their rules that apply regarding times it can be used, not who issued the pass.

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes, it's the local council where the bus is boarded who pays. Its also their rules that apply regarding times it can be used, not who issued the pass.
But those rules must observe the minimum hours i.e. 09:30-23:00 workdays and 24hrs non-working days. Can there be further restrictions on certain (bus) routes that only apply to 'foreign' passholders?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
But those rules must observe the minimum hours i.e. 09:30-23:00 workdays and 24hrs non-working days. Can there be further restrictions on certain (bus) routes that only apply to 'foreign' passholders?

No. The national ENCTS arrangements are as you outline above. As far as I'm aware, any exceptions (open top, special routes etc) should apply to all ENCTS holders, regardless of residence.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Sorry I didn't make it clear in my post I was meaning if they allow free travel before 9.30am. Hull Council will pay for Hull passes to be used before half 9 but nobody else's, so Brenda with a Hull pass boarding in Hull can use her pass at 8.25am but Doris who has an East Riding pass has to pay.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm only aware of two areas where any ENCTS passholder can get free 24 hour travel on buses - Greater London and Cornwall i.e. the two areas in England which grant their own residents that right, and extend it to others. Mind you, there are a few more buses out and about in London at 3 a.m. than in Cornwall!

Status
Not open for further replies.