• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor role

Status
Not open for further replies.

abizzle91

I was wondering if anybody could shed any light on how Northern Rail works with recruitment, so I have a few questions and if anybody could help me out I'd be really grateful.

I'll explain a little first:

I applied for a position back in October 2017, was successful with the online tests, went for the interview & completed the group assessment. Around 15 days later (having to prompt them even though it states they would get back to me within 14 days to let me know how it went) I asked how my interview went and I received an email back within the hour saying I was successful and that they would get back to me within 10 days with a course start date.
I emailed the company again and expressed my delight in being successful with a few questions around start dates, medicals etc and was told that I would probably be starting in the new year.
Since then I haven't heard anything back even after emailing them twice to find out whats going on?

I'd just like to add my interviewer asked if I had any holidays booked within the next 3 months (from the interview date) due to the intensity of the course I have to go on, to which I stated no, so I assumed I would have been in position by now?

So my questions to you guys who have been in this situation before:
  • What are the chances of this falling through?
  • How can I plan my life when this is something I really want to do for a living but still haven't heard back since? I wouldn't want to make plans and then the course be slap bang in the middle of a holiday for example?
  • Has anybody been in a similar situation before? And if so, what was the outcome?
I'd appreciate any help/advice with this

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Potato185

Hello abizzle91,

Congratulations on passing the interview. Not too sure what to do other than to keep asking HR to find out what's going on. I personally have never had a problem with HR, although I think we can all agree that HR generally can be slow at things due to the nature of the role.

Chances of it falling through? They've said you're successful. The least they can do now is put you in a talent pool as that's how I got my job.

Plan your life? Unfortunately the nature of the recruitment process and industry, this can be tricky. Best thing to do is be as flexible as possible and if they suddenly reply with a start date, take it. It's hard, but the only way I can think to do it.

Similar situation? I can't speak from experience. I passed my interview, someone from HR was in contact, and continued to do so until I started.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM directly.

Cheers.

abizzle91

Hello abizzle91,

Congratulations on passing the interview. Not too sure what to do other than to keep asking HR to find out what's going on. I personally have never had a problem with HR, although I think we can all agree that HR generally can be slow at things due to the nature of the role.

Chances of it falling through? They've said you're successful. The least they can do now is put you in a talent pool as that's how I got my job.

Plan your life? Unfortunately the nature of the recruitment process and industry, this can be tricky. Best thing to do is be as flexible as possible and if they suddenly reply with a start date, take it. It's hard, but the only way I can think to do it.

Similar situation? I can't speak from experience. I passed my interview, someone from HR was in contact, and continued to do so until I started.

Cheers.
Thanks for your reply, Potato185.

I'm just worried that I've been potentially forgotten about and I'm not one to pester for something as everybody has a job to do, so I just do my part and they do theirs, but my circumstances at my current employer have changed and I am desperate for some clarification on the role. I understand there is a lot of ongoing works at my local station and I can only assume it's because of that, that they haven't got back in touch as of yet.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that something comes back to me within the coming months.

Thanks again.

Thedispatcher

Northern HR are fairly bad but saying that, so are all HR departments. If you like I can give you the phone number for their HR department in York and you can make enquiries that way. I speak from personal experience when I say the only way to get anything done is pestering them.

abizzle91

Northern HR are fairly bad but saying that, so are all HR departments. If you like I can give you the phone number for their HR department in York and you can make enquiries that way. I speak from personal experience when I say the only way to get anything done is pestering them.

Sure! I’ll happily take the number and give them a call.
Thanks for your response.

Thedispatcher

Not a problem. Their number is ‭01904 568543‬. That’s the HR contact centre in York. They can be quite slow and do need chasing up sometimes so best of luck to you.

Worldwide

I’m having this problem went to interview recently said they would let people know the outcome within 2-3 days. 14 days has passed now and not heard anything. Called on Friday and they said no ones had a response yet. How often should you chase them? Likewise I don’t want to pester to much.

Thedispatcher

I’m having this problem went to interview recently said they would let people know the outcome within 2-3 days. 14 days has passed now and not heard anything. Called on Friday and they said no ones had a response yet. How often should you chase them? Likewise I don’t want to pester to much.

It’s entirely up to you. It took over a month for me to find out I was successful, may have been even longer. Patience is a virtue but ultimately the choice is yours. Might be worthwhile asking for Nicola because she handles conductor recruitment.

abizzle91

Well when I had to wait the length of time I did they replied to my original email I sent 5 months ago - so they will keep a record of how many times you do email. Just bide your time because they will eventually get back to you.

Worldwide

Well when I had to wait the length of time I did they replied to my original email I sent 5 months ago - so they will keep a record of how many times you do email. Just bide your time because they will eventually get back to you.

Yeah thanks I’ll hold out another week then I’ll drop them an email. I do appreciate it’s a long process it’s just at Interview they was really keen to get people started ASAP. I’ve not applied for a conductor role it’s just station staff and they said it’ll be on the job training.

L97

Hello abizzle91,

Cheers.
Hi, just wondering how your training went? And if they provided accommodation for you whilst the 12 weeks training took place.

abizzle91

Hi, just wondering how your training went? And if they provided accommodation for you whilst the 12 weeks training took place.

Training went well, extremely thorougher and if you was unsure about anything the tutors would spend the time making sure you did understand. Training was mainly 8-9 weeks classroom based with some practical/theoretical assessments a long the way too.
For accommodation, they tend to put people up in hotels Sun-Thurs depending on where you are traveling from, unfortunately for myself I didn't meet the criteria to warrant staying over however I believe if you are traveling anymore than 1hr30m to the course then they have to put you up in accommodation, expenses also paid for too.
If you have any other questions I am willing to answer the best I can.

Cheers

Spiderman1

Hi all, I have just found out I passed assessment for trainee senior conductor role for WMT nd have interview next Tuesday. I wanted to ask for any advice regarding format of interview and what they might be asking or looking for.
I have also just passed interview for trainee train driver role for TFW and have assessment day end of Nov.

Is the interview likely to carry a similar format as that for train driver role?

Potato185

Sorry for late reply! Training was very enjoyable. Felt well catered for throughout. They didn't provide me accommodation nor did any of my other classmates get any as we were all within a commutable distance (ish).

Status
Not open for further replies.