• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused about claiming a refund due to cancelled train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miken

Hello, I have a paper ticket from Parbold to Manchester Piccadilly today (first leg of 4 trains to Melton Mowbray). I was due to travel on the 1257 from Parbold but this has been cancelled and I've had to book a new ticket from Chorley (the original ticket states valid via Wigan only). I bought the tickets from this site. I went into my account, clicked 'Refund' for this first leg and followed the choices. The site told me to claim the refund from Northern. I went to Northern's website which clearly states "You can claim a refund providing you booked it through us". So Trainsplit are telling me to claim from the TOC and the TOC are saying "nothing to do with us mate" - please can anyone advise? Many thanks...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What were the tickets you held for your journey to Melton Mowbray (ideally including types/costs - you could take a screenshot from the booking confirmation)?

Just wondering why you have bought a new ticket from Chorley - could you not take the next train from Parbold or Wigan?

If you don't travel on your ticket from Parbold to Manchester, you should seek a refund on this from the retailer (in this case, the forum ticketing site).

I suspect the suggestion to go to Northern is if you want to claim Delay Repay, which is what would apply if you used your Parbold to Manchester ticket on the next train and were delayed.

JBuchananGB

It looks as though your intended itinerary using the 12.57 from Parbold would have been to get to Melton Mowbray at 17.30.
I understand why you would replan your journey to depart from Chorley, as that way you may be able to maintain your connection in Manchester. Looking at an up to date journey planner, it seems you will need to catch the 13.23 from Chorley.
Otherwise you could go via Preston taking the 13.41 from Chorley, but that would mean revised ticketing all the way to Birmingham.
As regards the refund on the 12.57 from Parbold, this train does not appear in today's timetable, which probably means it was taken out of the schedule sometime yesterday.

Miken

Northern have got a near 3 hour gap in service so the next train from Parbold misses my onward train to Sheffield or I go ridiculously early. Booking refs attached. I put this journey together; normally I would go Wigan to Bham New St then New St to Melton, all of which I can travel 1st class. As Avanti only have a few 1st class seats on Sundays (Coach K only on the Pendos) there were no fares available so I built the route to maximise 1st class availability. I went through the refund process in this site for the "computer to say no" and I should claim back from Northern... hence the original request. I'm going to be honest here, the lost fare is just over 5 quid and I doubt if I will invest any more time in this particular refund. However it would be useful to know for the future if I've done something wrong when I tried to claim the Parbold Manchester leg back.

It looks as though your intended itinerary using the 12.57 from Parbold would have been to get to Melton Mowbray at 17.30.
I understand why you would replan your journey to depart from Chorley, as that way you may be able to maintain your connection in Manchester. Looking at an up to date journey planner, it seems you will need to catch the 13.23 from Chorley.
Otherwise you could go via Preston taking the 13.41 from Chorley, but that would mean revised ticketing all the way to Birmingham.
As regards the refund on the 12.57 from Parbold, this train does not appear in today's timetable, which probably means it was taken out of the schedule sometime yesterday.
Spot on! I work on the train so maximise 1st class trains/schedules... I've reposted before I saw this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015_095952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_095952_Chrome.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231015_095946_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_095946_Chrome.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231015_095923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_095923_Chrome.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 17

JBuchananGB

I get it. So you will aim for the 12.22 from Chorley to make the connection in Manchester. It should still be possible to claim back the Parbold ticket from the retailer who sold it to you as the time of the train is clearly shown on the itinerary.

Miken

I get it. So you will aim for the 12.22 from Chorley to make the connection in Manchester. It should still be possible to claim back the Parbold ticket from the retailer who sold it to you as the time of the train is clearly shown on the itinerary.
Yes and I bought the tickets from this forum's venerable (and excellent) site - followed the refund process from my account page and it was at this point I was directed to claim the refund from Northern...

crablab

Yes, if the ticket is unused you should claim a refund from the retailer.
it was at this point I was directed to claim the refund from Northern...
I suspect that's because you indicated that you had experienced a delay or cancelled train.

Whereas what has actually happened is you've "abandoned" that portion of the journey with an unused ticket and are therefore entitled to a refund (as it's not an Advance).

I appreciate that this is a bit confusing, but as you've taken the initiative to reroute yourself to avoid knock on delays you're falling outside of the DR process.

Snow1964

Established Member
Yes, if the ticket is unused you should claim a refund from the retailer.

I suspect that's because you indicated that you had experienced a delay or cancelled train.

Whereas what has actually happened is you've "abandoned" that portion of the journey with an unused ticket and are therefore entitled to a refund (as it's not an Advance).

I appreciate that this is a bit confusing, but as you've taken the initiative to reroute yourself to avoid knock on delays you're falling outside of the DR process.

It's unfortunate terminology that this websites ticketing organisation uses.

Cancelled (which train has been), the logical choice, instead needs to be entered as abandoned (which you are not doing, just revising to meet your connection). It's a shame there isn't a "rerouted due to itinerary no longer available" option

Although from a customer service point of view, would be better if the railway had sent you a revised itinerary yesterday when they killed your current one

Last edited:

Halwynd

No use to the OP now, but the Southport - Wigan line Sunday service is often useless and has been for many months - best avoided unless you're desperate. It's better from Monday to Saturday when the frequency is half-hourly, but even then regular and unpredictible cancellations can bugger up your journey.

If you have an alternative I'd use that instead and avoid the aggravation.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello, I have a paper ticket from Parbold to Manchester Piccadilly today (first leg of 4 trains to Melton Mowbray). I was due to travel on the 1257 from Parbold but this has been cancelled and I've had to book a new ticket from Chorley (the original ticket states valid via Wigan only). I bought the tickets from this site. I went into my account, clicked 'Refund' for this first leg and followed the choices. The site told me to claim the refund from Northern. I went to Northern's website which clearly states "You can claim a refund providing you booked it through us". So Trainsplit are telling me to claim from the TOC and the TOC are saying "nothing to do with us mate" - please can anyone advise? Many thanks...
Can you post (in list format, easy to read/understand) the following please:

* your original intended itinerary
* your original ticket(s)
* your actual itinerary
* your actual ticket(s)

Adam Williams

Established Member
It's unfortunate terminology that this websites ticketing organisation uses.

Cancelled (which train has been), the logical choice, instead needs to be entered as abandoned (which you are not doing, just revising to meet your connection). It's a shame there isn't a "rerouted due to itinerary no longer available" option

Although from a customer service point of view, would be better if the railway had sent you a revised itinerary yesterday when they killed your current one
I believe the customer is asked if they experienced disruption and then is asked clarifying questions about what sort of disruption they experienced. "Abandoned" is not a term the website uses much, because customers don't understand it.

1697368035525.png

The subsequent step is supposed to tease out the type of compensation that's appropriate - e.g. if the customer selects the first option they'll be directed to Delay Repay. Some of the others are treated as abandoned journey refunds. Some are treated as "you need to contact customer services". In all cases, the real-time & timetable data will be consulted to determine refund eligibility.

c74bd9e6-82a6-4551-8983-6c2a653e9bf2

Yes, indeed. Too much bickering going on at the moment about money for a coherent policy across TOCs for me to be holding my breath about that one, though.

Miken

Can you post (in list format, easy to read/understand) the following please:

* your original intended itinerary
* your original ticket(s)
* your actual itinerary
* your actual ticket(s)
Original itinerary:

12:57 Parbold to Manchester Piccadilly
15:18 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield
16: 51 Sheffield to Leicester
18:12 Leicester Melton Mowbray

The 12:57 and the 13:57 from Parbold were cancelled at very short notice (presumably a P code) so I then booked the 13:23 Chorley to Manchester Piccadilly and resumed the original schedule as above.

I've attached photos of the tickets for the original itinerary (with the exception of Parbold to Manchester as this is back at home in my office and Im currentlyat Piccadilly as per itinerary). The new ticket from Chorley is also attached.

PS: Paper tickets not my choice as I usually use E-Tickets but only TOD was offered when I originally booked.

The original itinerary booking refs were posted higher up this thread.

Hope this gives you what you need, thank-you.

I believe the customer is asked if they experienced disruption and then is asked clarifying questions about what sort of disruption they experienced. "Abandoned" is not a term the website uses much, because customers don't understand it.

View attachment 144823

The subsequent step is supposed to tease out the type of compensation that's appropriate - e.g. if the customer selects the first option they'll be directed to Delay Repay. Some of the others are treated as abandoned journey refunds. Some are treated as "you need to contact customer services". In all cases, the real-time & timetable data will be consulted to determine refund eligibility.

c74bd9e6-82a6-4551-8983-6c2a653e9bf2

Yes, indeed. Too much bickering going on at the moment about money for a coherent policy across TOCs for me to be holding my breath about that one, though.
Yes I clicked the top option as it seemed closest to my situation but I guess this led me down the wrong garden path. Once I'd clicked this the system seemed to remember my input so even starting over led me to being referred to apply to the TOC.

Attachments

• 20231015_142933.jpg
    20231015_142933.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231015_143201_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_143201_Google Play services.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 8

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It would have been less complicated to do one of two things (which may or may not have been possible)

1) Seek permission to travel from Chorley instead; no guarantees but should be allowed. If it wasn't possible to obtain prior permission, I personally would have asked the Guard on the train from Chorley. However if the fare from Chorley was a lot cheaper, then I would totally understand not wanting to do this.
2) Refund the whole lot and re-book; however I would totally understand you not wanting to do this, if the new price was higher, as you should not be out of pocket.

As it is, yes you are entitled to a refund of the unused Parbold to Manchester ticket; I am unsure if the form allows for this or if it's a manual thing.

Miken

No use to the OP now, but the Southport - Wigan line Sunday service is often useless and has been for many months - best avoided unless you're desperate. It's better from Monday to Saturday when the frequency is half-hourly, but even then regular and unpredictible cancellations can bugger up your journey.

If you have an alternative I'd use that instead and avoid the aggravation.
Yes - I've lived 3 miles from Parbold for 30 years and notably my perception is that the line between Wigan and Southport is often short changed on service availability so on a Sunday an already scant service quickly becomes a 3 hour gap between trains.

Just to note when I got on the train at Chorley it was rammed... a 3-car from Barrow to the Airport - cattle trucks are generally more pleasant...

It would have been less complicated to do one of two things (which may or may not have been possible)

1) Seek permission to travel from Chorley instead; no guarantees but should be allowed. If it wasn't possible to obtain prior permission, I personally would have asked the Guard on the train from Chorley. However if the fare from Chorley was a lot cheaper, then I would totally understand not wanting to do this.
2) Refund the whole lot and re-book; however I would totally understand you not wanting to do this, if the new price was higher, as you should not be out of pocket.

As it is, yes you are entitled to a refund of the unused Parbold to Manchester ticket; I am unsure if the form allows for this or if it's a manual thing.
I did consider that Yorkie but if you read the Disputes and Prosecutions pages I'm now completely scared of travelling anywhere outside the rules (I case I get challenged by an RPI with more power than sense) so I bought the additional ticket to avoid any chance of the kind of intimidation that some passengers seem to experience. I'm glad I did have a ticket as the Chorley to Piccadilly train was a 3 car and was rammed so any chance of getting to talk to the guard was somewhat difficult. I guess my original post was to highlight that even for a reasonably competent person and heavy rail user the refund process is not user friendly and easy to get wrong... I appreciate your reply and all other replies... This forum IMHO is the only place one can be heard as an ordinary passenger. Thank-you

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes - I've lived 3 miles from Parbold for 30 years and notably my perception is that the line between Wigan and Southport is often short changed on service availability so on a Sunday an already scant service quickly becomes a 3 hour gap between trains.

Just to note when I got on the train at Chorley it was rammed... a 3-car from Barrow to the Airport - cattle trucks are generally more pleasant...

I did consider that Yorkie but if you read the Disputes and Prosecutions pages I'm now completely scared of travelling anywhere outside the rules (I case I get challenged by an RPI with more power than sense) so I bought the additional ticket to avoid any chance of the kind of intimidation that some passengers seem to experience. I'm glad I did have a ticket as the Chorley to Piccadilly train was a 3 car and was rammed so any chance of getting to talk to the guard was somewhat difficult. I guess my original post was to highlight that even for a reasonably competent person and heavy rail user the refund process is not user friendly and easy to get wrong... I appreciate your reply and all other replies... This forum IMHO is the only place one can be heard as an ordinary passenger. Thank-you
True; Northern are effectively waging a campaign of intimidation against customers. Most Guards are absolutely not on board with this though so you can usually be fine to seek permission from them, but I can see why you'd want to be cautious (in your case no-one would be checking tickets anyway as the train was too full).

Halwynd

And the trains that do actually run just carry fresh air - the passengers have all gone. The Sunday service has been run into the ground so much Northern might as well just scrap it now... the cynic in me says perhaps that's the intention.

It's not been a great start to your journey so far but I hope it quickly improves - good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.