• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused by restrictions - Stevenage to Edinburgh

stephy

Need to travel tomorrow but can see LNER have lifted restrictions and say that customers should travel earlier where possible.
My advance single is restricted 'Peterboro and Lner'. Can I change trains at Wakefield Westgate and go on a CrossCountry train - or do Stevenage to Peterborough on the Thameslink? The original service (928) was going to be a change at York, both LNER services.
I'm not sure what the 'Peterboro' restriction includes and can't find a restriction code on my e-ticket to look this up.

Basically can I travel any possible route tomorrow? Or will I get penalised despite the disruption?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Doesn't the "travel earlier" advice refer to not travelling North of Newcastle after 1500 today (Tuesday)?

As regards travel tomorrow, you've essentially got an LNER Advance ticket for travel from Stevenage up to Edinburgh Waverley via, or passing through, Peterborough, which all do anywhere. With the lifting of ticket restrictions on LNER, I'd interpret this as meaning you can take any through LNER train or combination of LNER trains. But not necessarily Lumo or another TOC.

Others may consider otherwise.

Extract...
LNER ticket restrictions are lifted for Tuesday 23 and Wednesday 24 January. Customers with tickets dated Sunday 21, Monday 22, Tuesday 23 and Wednesday 24 January can defer travel up to and including Thursday 25 January.

stephy

If restrictions are lifted for Weds - I can travel on any service despite my advance ticket?
I was hoping to do 815 Stevenage to Peterborough, then 918 Peterborough to Edinburgh

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Need to travel tomorrow but can see LNER have lifted restrictions and say that customers should travel earlier where possible.
My advance single is restricted 'Peterboro and Lner'. Can I change trains at Wakefield Westgate and go on a CrossCountry train - or do Stevenage to Peterborough on the Thameslink? The original service (928) was going to be a change at York, both LNER services.
I'm not sure what the 'Peterboro' restriction includes and can't find a restriction code on my e-ticket to look this up.

Basically can I travel any possible route tomorrow? Or will I get penalised despite the disruption?
What ticket(s) do you hold exactly?
What is your originally booked itinerary?

stephy

928 Stevenage to Edinburgh - advance -
Stevenage to York
York to Edinburgh (11:56 at York)

None look like they are going via York tomorrow

Haywain

Veteran Member
None look like they are going via York tomorrow
Not sure where you get that idea - the 0928 appears to be running tomorrow, and the alternative trains suggested mean going via York.

stephy

The 928 from Stevenage is listed as cancelled everywhere?

Ok so it says 'cancelled' but I can now see it's the Peterborough leg cancelled.

Sorry I'm obviously getting really confused here!

Haywain

Veteran Member
The 928 from Stevenage is listed as cancelled everywhere?
Everywhere isn't the places I'm looking, and there is no part of it that I can see as cancelled. Both of the services you are booked on tomorrow are shown as running. LNER have thinned out the Lonodn - Edinburgh service but that tends to be the 'slow' services that leave London at xx:30.

Veteran Member
Just a little more detail:

There are numerous cancellations N of Newcastle up to 12.00 (hence the advice not to travel on that section), and several at the London end.

Your booked trains don't show up (even on the LNER website in simple mode!) as there are slightly faster connections, such as the two you mentioned.
However, your trains are running as scheduled (the 1156 from York will have made extra stops at Peterborough and Doncaster so will be a bit late) so you might as well show up for those - but check in the morning in case there is further disruption!

Given that you can get alternative itineraries (and that LNER will issue Advances via Wakefield and XC, which TBH surprised me) you could take an alternative train if you wished, but why bother?

Haywain

Veteran Member
They haven't issued this specific advance via Wakefield and XC though?
Of course not. It's hardly likely to be the best route. LNER trains are running, why would you want to use XC?

stephy

All fine actually. Route as stated on ticket no issues at all thank you!