• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confusing Gatwick tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogal

I need to travel from London (Victoria, though it doesn't matter other than today) to Gatwick Airport today (luckily one of the few journeys where there's a service running), returning on Monday evening and I'm trying to understand the various fares available.

I have a Network railcard, and the NR site is suggesting an Anytime Return at £25.60.
I know there's a Contactless/Oyster fare available but it's not entirely clear how much this would be, and I would have thought using my Network card to get a normal ticket would be cheaper?

To make it more confusing, my sister was looking up the same journey on the GWR app and it was offering an Anytime Return at £25.50 - ok, it's only a 10p difference but I'm confused as to why it would be different prices in different places, unless one has restrictions that aren't marked?

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the best option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The railcard discounted £25.60 fare seems to be a route "Not Gatwick Express" Anytime Return, whereas the £25.50 fare is route "Any Permitted". Seems bizarre that the more restricted ticket is slightly more expensive!

Anyone got any suggestions as to how the OP can conveniently save some ££?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I know there's a Contactless/Oyster fare available but it's not entirely clear how much this would be
£17.50 peak, £9.50 off peak.

Peak is 0630-0930 in both directions and 1600-1900 southbound.

Travelling off peak in both directions is cheaper than the railcard discounted period return because it is priced with reference to an off-peak day return, not the period return.

moogal

£17.50 peak, £9.50 off peak.

Peak is 0630-0930 in both directions and 1600-1900 southbound.

Travelling off peak in both directions is cheaper than the railcard discounted period return because it is priced with reference to an off-peak day return, not the period return.
Thanks - I assume travelling around 4pm today and 8pm on Monday would both be off peak periods?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Between 4pm and 7pm, the cheapest fare is an Anytime Single with the Network Railcard reducing it to £13.

£9.50 back on Contactless on Monday evening, so long as you don't use the barriers on platforms 13 and 14 at Victoria.

Haywain

Veteran Member
so long as you don't use the barriers on platforms 13 and 14 at Victoria.
Important for the OP to note that this applies to journeys in BOTH directions. Touching in or out at those barriers will be charged at the Gatwick Express fare of £21.80, at any time.

moogal

Important for the OP to note that this applies to journeys in BOTH directions. Touching in or out at those barriers will be charged at the Gatwick Express fare of £21.80, at any time.
Handy to know, thanks - that's exactly the sort of thing I can imagine being caught out by. Looking at Realtimetrains it seems like the Gatwick shuttle today is being run from platform 15.

zero

By touching out and in again at East Croydon, the total fare can be reduced to £12 or less depending on the times of touch in, but the inconvenience vs savings is down to personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.