• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confusing message from Scotrail about catering facilities

Caleb2010

This has come up on my ScotRail app under alterations to service for todays (17/1/24) 1726 Glasgow to Inverness service

I understand that crew may be displaced causing them not to be on the train but fail to see how a points failure can cause the service not to have catering!!!!

Can someone please enlighten me about this?

Attachments

• IMG_4021.png
    IMG_4021.png
    521.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Javelin_55

Not knowing much about Scottish routes, my theory is that the points issue displaced the crew, which caused the train for this service to potentially be sitting at Inverness for a long time. To avoid this, a different train was used which does have enough/the correct crew, but this one doesn't have catering facilities.

This sort of stock step-up happens at my company all the time.

Morayshire

Scotrail catering consists of a trolley service and is known as the "Lesser Spotted Catering Trolley" amongst my work colleagues given its post covid rairity.

More seriously, Inverness to Glasgow/Edinburgh is currently disrupted as certain loops are not being used to avoid frozen point failures which is causing delays and cancellations which could mean the catering staff member is out of hours as a result or would end up in Inverness with no way back to Glasgow or wherever.

Somewhere

The person pushing and pulling the trolley up and down the train is crew. They can be displaced just as easily (or perhaps even more easily as a train can run without them) as a driver or a guard

Caleb2010

Of course they are, but wouldn’t the reason then be ‘Displaced Crew’ rather than points failure.

SteveM70

Established Member
Of course they are, but wouldn’t the reason then be ‘Displaced Crew’ rather than points failure.

Yes, but if points failure is the reason the crew are displaced then that’s the ultimate root cause (unless you can go further back and pin it on the weather or lack of staff to prevent points icing up)

Javelin_55

The person pushing and pulling the trolley up and down the train is crew. They can be displaced just as easily (or perhaps even more easily as a train can run without them) as a driver or a guard
The member of crew displaced wasn't necessarily the catering staff. As I said in my post above, the lack of catering could be down to a unit swap because of a displaced driver/conductor, because of the points issue.

Caleb2010

I just think that it’s too generic a reason, when, in a transparent society, the powers that be cannot simply say ‘There’s no staff because they’re stuck somewhere’

We already get messages from ScotRail like

Due to a cracked rail this train will be formed of less carriages than normal - it will be formed of 5 carriages instead of 2! Then when it turns up it’s got 3.

Isn’t it about time they were held accountable for the messages they put out!

Sorry, I’m on a rant, over now

Somewhere

The member of crew displaced wasn't necessarily the catering staff. As I said in my post above, the lack of catering could be down to a unit swap because of a displaced driver/conductor, because of the points issue.
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I wasn't there, you weren't there. If the catering staff are in the wrong place, they are displaced. If the unit was in the wrong place, it is displaced

Revilo

And grammatically it should be ‘fewer’ rather than ‘less’ because carriages are a countable noun.