• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Congratulations Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
Offered it to a few but only got a response from Railway Herald. Bit of a shame really - could've done with the financial reward. :(

Lesjordans

Do you pay for pictures published in The Railway Herald?
Currently we do not. However, in the comming weeks, Railway Herald will start to accept advertisements in to the magazine, around which point we will start paying photographers for the images used. To do this we will need a full name and address to accompany each photograph.

Ohh unlucky, a bit too early :s
How much do you usually get if its in a Magazine that you'd buy in shops?

Coxster

Established Member
Seth said:
Offered it to a few but only got a response from Railway Herald. Bit of a shame really - could've done with the financial reward. :(
Might have my second image in the next one (my Lymington slammer in an upcoming Slammer article). My previous image was the GNER HST on a lowloader.

paul1609

Established Member
Yeah congratulations Seth,
From the descriptions I read elsewhere I though that this was a major landslide. From your picture it looks although a couple of blokes could clear it with shovels in a few hours. Shows why the railways are so uncompetitive with all those blokes looking at it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
How many transport staff members does it take to clear a small slip of soil?

1 to notice it there
1 to inform control the line needs closing
10 people to do the paperwork for such a procedure
1 person to call up replacement buses
2 people to do the paperwork for that
5 people in two teams controlling passenger movements onto rail replacement buses
10 drivers for the replacement bus service
2 printer staff to rush out posters informing of the delay caused and what happened
1 person to make an announcement recording to inform passengers of the incident and what to do
2 people to cross-check the announcement for clarity and correct stuff said
1 person to install the announcement into the system
10 drivers put on paid time off until the slip is dealt with
1 person to shut off power on the line
5 people to clear it in a full-day clean-up
1 person to screw the operation up
2 people to fix the error quickly to get services running as quickly as possible
1 person to get drivers back and trains ready for service once track is cleared
10 people to do the paperwork
1 person to remove announcements
1 person to remove posters

:lol:

On a serious note, I thought it was a major thing to have happened according to the BBCi news this morning! That's just a pussy little slip of soil, wouldn't take a small team of 4 people long to get that out of the way.

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
I've seen bigger ballast drops
Yes but this is the toy-train railway where everything is smaller (sorry, the underground ;))

Met Driver

Established Member
Coxster said:
Yes but this is the toy-train railway where everything is smaller (sorry, the underground ;))

I'll have you know we run the widest-bodied stock in the entire country (A60/62), so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!! :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
Seth said:
I'll have you know we run the widest-bodied stock in the entire country (A60/62), so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!! :lol:
"We" eh? ;) A-Stocks are hardly 125mph (well, I wouldn't want to experience that!) :D

WSXFan said:
How many transport staff members does it take to clear a small slip of soil?

1 to notice it there
1 to inform control the line needs closing
10 people to do the paperwork for such a procedure
1 person to call up replacement buses
2 people to do the paperwork for that
5 people in two teams controlling passenger movements onto rail replacement buses
10 drivers for the replacement bus service
2 printer staff to rush out posters informing of the delay caused and what happened
1 person to make an announcement recording to inform passengers of the incident and what to do
2 people to cross-check the announcement for clarity and correct stuff said
1 person to install the announcement into the system
10 drivers put on paid time off until the slip is dealt with
1 person to shut off power on the line
5 people to clear it in a full-day clean-up
1 person to screw the operation up
2 people to fix the error quickly to get services running as quickly as possible
1 person to get drivers back and trains ready for service once track is cleared
10 people to do the paperwork
1 person to remove announcements
1 person to remove posters

:lol:
How bored must you have been...

Met Driver

Established Member
Coxster said:
"We" eh? ;) A-Stocks are hardly 125mph (well, I wouldn't want to experience that!) :D

I'm allowed to say "We", cos I'm getting my staff pass soon. ;)

I wouldn't want to experience 125mph in quite a few types of mainline stock either! The point is we run proper full-size stock - not on all lines of course - but some. :D

Coxster

Established Member
Seth said:
I'm allowed to say "We", cos I'm getting my staff pass soon. ;)
I wouldn't want to experience 125mph in quite a few types of mainline stock either! The point is we run proper full-size stock - not on all lines of course - but some. :D
I'll think of a response soon. You know I'm right ;)

Stephen's SWT priv says 'staff pass' - doesn't mean he can say "we at South West Trains"....

H

HR2

Coxster said:

Toy-train railway??? You young whippersnapper!! :cry: Now you'll get TWO surprises when I see you.
[EDIT]
Seth said:
Smartarse :lol:

Never mind Seth. I'M one of your freinds! [you don't need enemies now son.]

Techniquest

Veteran Member
CoxsterHow bored must you have been...[/quote said:
I'd not want to sample A-stocks full stop, but hey, I'll have to one day to get the haulage and Metropolitan lines covered!

As for how bored I was, ROFL! I had fun doing that. Evidentally all of the humour in it was either ignored or not understood. One of the better jokes I've ever told.

Besides, I've seen bigger piles of s**t in a toilet on an ATW 158 (literally! I was going to Swansea to go back there from home for a lecture, the guy in the lavatory had been in there for ages, when he came out I was dying to go. So must he, the amount of 'stuff' in there was disgusting, leaving me to wait until Swansea. I had waited until Port Talbot, I felt I might as well wait. I was going to be late for the lecture thanks to some problem with the unit's wiper or something) than that lineside slip.

As for whoever made the toy railway comment, ROFL! Too right!

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
As for whoever made the toy railway comment, ROFL! Too right!
:D

As for the humour I understood it - just heard so many variations of the 'How many people does it take to....' joke.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It was one I hadn't seen before, so it seemed a good version of it to use. Most of the humour, FYI, was intended to be satirical. A perfect example is the ones commenting on the paperwork, which seems to dominate just about every movement or piece of work on the network.

Glad you understood it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.