• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connecting in to FOSW rover from the NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

james-martin

Hi everyone,

I am intending to take a mini break to the South West and purchase a Freedom of the South West rover. I am however unsure about where the correct point to join the area is.

I will start in Sheffield and Worcester is listed on the rover map. I believe that the CrossCountry services pass through Worcester though they do not tend to stop. As NRCoT 14.2 allows use of zonal tickets without the usual "stopping at a station" requirement. Is this a valid and economic merge point?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Good luck finding an XC service through Worcester, unless very early in the morning or very late in the evening.

Where would you be heading to from Sheffield?

higthomas

yes, I'm afraid they don't go through Worcester. You'd have to finish you tickets at Ashchurch for Tewkesbury or Cheltenham. Your'e right, you don't need to be on a train which stops at the 'merge' point.

Established Member
yes, I'm afraid they don't go through Worcester. You'd have to finish you tickets at Ashchurch for Tewkesbury or Cheltenham. Your'e right, you don't need to be on a train which stops at the 'merge' point.

Some do, so depending when the OP is travelling And where they are travelling to, WOS may well be the best split point.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Some do, so depending when the OP is travelling And where they are travelling to, WOS may well be the best split point.

No. Very, very few *CrossCountry* services pass through Worcester, as stated above.

All XCs to Cardiff/Bristol/Plymouth/Penzance are normally routed directed from Stoke Works Jn to Abbotswood Jn (not via Worcester) in the normal standard hour timetable.

Established Member
No. Very, very few *CrossCountry* services pass through Worcester, as stated above.

All XCs to Cardiff/Bristol/Plymouth/Penzance are normally routed directed from Stoke Works Jn to Abbotswood Jn (not via Worcester) in the normal standard hour timetable.

I am well aware which services pass through Worcester. As I said it depends on what time they are travelling and where they are travelling to.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I am well aware which services pass through Worcester. As I said it depends on what time they are travelling and where they are travelling to.

The OP asked specifically about CrossCountry services.

Established Member
The OP asked specifically about CrossCountry services.

Yes, But if they are looking at travelling on one of the XC Services that travel through Worcester, it might be cheaper or easier for them to split there.

ashworth

Established Member
I did a similar trip last summer staying for 7 nights in the Premier Inn straight opposite Exeter St Davids Station. I booked well in advance and managed to get quite reasonable Advance tickets from Nottingham to Cheltenham where I used my SW Rover to and from Exeter each way. On the way down I travelled all the way from Derby to Exeter on a XC HST which was a nice bonus, which I think left Derby at approx 10.30 am and managed to get the same reserved seat for the whole journey. I then used the other 6 days of my Rover to travel around the South West.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Yes, But if they are looking at travelling on one of the XC Services that travel through Worcester, it might be cheaper or easier for them to split there.

It would, of course, help them if you put the times of the limited number of them in so that the OP can judge whether they are appropriate or not.

David Goddard

Established Member
Very little if an average day's schedule is anything to go on:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 50

Established Member
It would, of course, help them if you put the times of the limited number of them in so that the OP can judge whether they are appropriate or not.

Given they specifically asked about Worcester I am guessing that they already know. However if not then it isn't exactly hard to look it up.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There are a handful of XC trains that go through Worcester for route training purposes. I don't think any start or end in the north east. If there is a train that does, it's helpful to post it.

If the OP wants to be on XC he'll need to split at Cheltenham (advance ticket for that leg likely to be best option) or Ashchurch.

Status
Not open for further replies.