• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection time at Amsterdam Centraal arriving on Eurostar

scragend

I'm booked on the 11.04 Eurostar from St. Pancras on 8th July, arriving Amsterdam at 16.15.

I would like to catch the 16.38 from Amsterdam to Frankfurt. Is 23 minutes sufficient connection time? I'm familiar with Amsterdam Centraal so getting from one platform to the other won't be a problem and should only take a few minutes, so my question really is how likely is it that the Eurostar will run to time?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philg999

I wouldn’t risk it. They often get delayed a few mins on the classic line in Belgium causing them to miss the clear path on the HSL. And also there are currently speed restrictions on the HSL due to cracks found in bridges and other frequent engineering works around Schiphol which cause congestion. (In theory that should be factored into the timetable but my recent observation is that the adjusted timetable is not so reliable …..). To a large extent your question depends on exactly when you’re travelling and whether they have allowed for the HSL speed reductions that far forward (those are adding 15-30 mins to travel times).

Last edited:

DanielB

Probably the connection is possible however when you avoid the detour via Amsterdam: exiting Eurostar in Rotterdam, then a domestic IC to Utrecht and changing onto the ICE there has a 15 minute change in Rotterdam and ~30 minutes in Utrecht.
You'd even make that when your Eurostar is 15 minutes late as the next IC also is in Utrecht on time for the change onto the ICE.

scragend

I wouldn’t risk it. They often get delayed a few mins on the classic line in Belgium causing them to miss the clear path on the HSL. And also there are currently speed restrictions on the HSL due to cracks found in bridges and other frequent engineering works around Schiphol which cause congestion. (In theory that should be factored into the timetable but my recent observation is that the adjusted timetable is not so reliable …..). To a large extent your question depends on exactly when you’re travelling and whether they have allowed for the HSL speed reductions that far forward (those are adding 15-30 mins to travel times).

Good to know. Thanks!

Probably the connection is possible however when you avoid the detour via Amsterdam: exiting Eurostar in Rotterdam, then a domestic IC to Utrecht and changing onto the ICE there has a 15 minute change in Rotterdam and ~30 minutes in Utrecht.
You'd even make that when your Eurostar is 15 minutes late as the next IC also is in Utrecht on time for the change onto the ICE.

Thanks for the tip. I assume there is no issue with stopping short on the Eurostar? Technically not allowed but no one is ever going to know?

JonasB

Is there any reason for the detour via the Netherlands? I would take the Eurostar to Brussels and change to a train to Germany there.

DanielB

Thanks for the tip. I assume there is no issue with stopping short on the Eurostar? Technically not allowed but no one is ever going to know?
Wouldn't expect an issue with Eurostar, but should you have reserved seats in the ICE those may be gone.

scragend

Is there any reason for the detour via the Netherlands? I would take the Eurostar to Brussels and change to a train to Germany there.

When I originally booked the Eurostar my onward plans were different. They still might be so I'm just considering my options.

Wouldn't expect an issue with Eurostar, but should you have reserved seats in the ICE those may be gone.

OK thanks. I'm not fussed about a reserved seat so that's not a problem.

nwales58

'should' = 'must'. Reservation compulsory from June.

How was this enforced last year?

Last edited:

philg999

'should' = 'must'. Reservation compulsory from June.

How was this enforced last year?
There’s normally an on-train ticket check between Arnhem and Oberhausen where they would check you have a reservation along with your interrail pass. There’s usually at least one more check - between Bonn and Frankfurt.

Last edited: