• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Connex won South Central and South.Eastern franchises, albeit short-lived.

Just wonder what other franchises they went for. Anybody got publicity and/or details please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Connex developed into Veolia, who didn't I think go for any more TOCs after being somewhat discredited but did get into buses for a bit.

They also had some European interests (notably Germany) and I think Australia.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There were 3 short listed bidders for North London Railways - NX , Great Western Holdings and Connex. Imagine "Connex North London" , with even lower standards on the DC and NLL. I (as Ops Manager), had a very lucky escape there I think.

There were also short listed for Trans Pennine .......

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think at a high level , Connex had some good ideas , trouble is that the terms of the 2 South of the river franchises were truly desperate, hence a race to the bottom in cost cutting , generally p++ing the staff and customers off and what appeared to be an amazing lack of empathy in terms of French / UK railway management hostility.

The lowest point seemed to be the major decline in the SE Metro services - where the pride of a cash strapped NSE (The Networkers) , were allowed to get into a desperate state of vandalism , etched glass and worse - however they (Connex) had to pay a huge sum of money on losing the franchise to get the fleet back into an "as delivered" state. All the cost cutting was a waste of time therefore.......

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
At around the same time they won South Eastern, they also got the TfL contracts for the 3, 315 and 322 bus routes, meaning they had a virtual monopoly on transport where I happened to live at the time...

(Their standards of bus maintenance were nothing to write home about either.)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
At around the same time they won South Eastern, they also got the TfL contracts for the 3, 315 and 322 bus routes, meaning they had a virtual monopoly on transport where I happened to live at the time...

(Their standards of bus maintenance were nothing to write home about either.)
I remember that too. I used to look at my watch at Oxford Circus and work out whether I was likely to make the half-hourly train to West Dulwich from Victoria and, if not, how long to wait around at the Circus for a no.3 bus, which would actually take me to outside the house I was going to. If it didn't come along straightaway, then the following train from Victoria and a ten minute walk was preferable. If I caught the bus, I watched for buses going the other way and so many were getting cut short to Piccadilly Circus or Trafalgar Sq. It was a dire period for public transport in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.