• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Considerations around further electrification in the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgoditsjames

It it? they have an extensive Tram Network along with Tram-Train to Rotherham
Sorry but what has that got to do with my post? One is self contained light rail network and the other is heavy rail network that connects to cities all over the country, of which none of it is electrified.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Pedant mode but Tinsley Chord to Rotherham is very much heavy rail network, and it's wired using almost standard Series 2 OLE, so it remains easily convertible to 25kV AC.

And yes, I would very much like to be in part responsible for converting it to 25kV AC in the near future, but let us focus on getting MML electrification extended to Leicester, Derby and Sheffield first.

ohgoditsjames

Pedant mode but Tinsley Chord to Rotherham is very much heavy rail network, and it's wired using almost standard Series 2 OLE, so it remains easily convertible to 25kV AC.

And yes, I would very much like to be in part responsible for converting it to 25kV AC in the near future, but let us focus on getting MML electrification extended to Leicester, Derby and Sheffield first.
Indeed pedant mode because the Tinsley chord is by at large insignificant for the heavy rail side of things and is nowhere near as important as the lines that I listed that need/should be electrified.

Iskra

Established Member
It’s embarrassing that a core city the size of Sheffield has ZERO electrification. At a minimum I’d like to see the line between Sheffield and Doncaster electrified, followed by some electrification to Leeds via Barnsley. Hopefully the MML electrification will be reinstated so we can run electric services from Sheffield to Nottingham and maybe eventually Leeds to Nottingham.

Also; electrifying the Hallam line would be pointless as under the current timetable only 2 car trains can use the line. Leeds-Sheffield Via Moorthorpe would make much more sense as half of the line is already done.

randyrippley

Established Member
I agree with this completely. Some people get obsessed with offering through services, but this is a good solution. The transfer would be same-platform and easily done. Peak time the 195 would work through to Manchester with a replacement 195 coming up on the next one.

Not same platform.
Cross-platform from northbound WCML trains, but not southbound

Sorry but what has that got to do with my post? One is self contained light rail network and the other is heavy rail network that connects to cities all over the country, of which none of it is electrified.
Because you described as an embarrassment I don't see that at all, Sheffield doesn't really have an extensive Heavy Rail local commuter network, but it does have instead a good electrified light rail network, and OK the mainline isn't electrified at the moment but presumably at some point it will be even if it has to wait for HS2.

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've given this thought for quite some time. As I see it there are a few distinct schemes:

Leeds to York
Piggy backing on presumed TP electrification of Church Fenton to Neville Hill, add Micklefield to Selby, Hambleton East-North, Hambleton West-South and Gascoign Wood-Church Fenton.
Allows for a collection services (with a small amount of change reversion to historic service patters) to go to electric operation, giving a good uplift in electric service numbers, and providing electrified diversionary routes to a number of routes.

Sheffield to Leeds and Doncaster
Create a new electric triangle by completing South Kirkby Junction to Swinton, Swinton to Doncaster and Swinton to Sheffield (via Masborough and Rotherham Central).
Allows Leeds to Sheffield via Moorthorpe, Sheffield to Doncaster, Sheffield to Adwick to go over to electric operation, plus potentially bimode operation for CrossCountry extended from Haymarket to Sheffield.

Clearly Leeds to Huddersfield is now specifically on the agenda (and doesn't have any obvious small add ons), but the above schemes I think would make most use of the existing wiring while also maximising the service miles converted to electric operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.