• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction Vehicles on Railway sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.rjt

This may not be the place to ask this - I guessed Infrastructure as it pertains to construction - but I hope someone can supply an answer.

Watching the first of the series on BBC 2 about Crossrail, I am sure I saw a digger on a construction site with flashing blue lights. In addition to this, I am sure that I have seen diggers or similar with flashing green and/or purple lights on the site at Reading station and the new flyover.

Is there some reason for these lights as I am thought that only flashing yellow lights could be used (which all vehicles I have seen are also equipped with).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
I have also seen excavators and diggers on non railway (motorway sites to be precise) with flashing green beacons and wonders why they had them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Dyke

Established Member
I can't be fully certain of the answer, and the law makes reference to this:

In the United Kingdom, the use of blue lights is regulated by the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, and sirens by the Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1986, both as amended by various other pieces of legislation. The 1989 restrictions state that no vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with a "blue warning beacon or special warning lamp", or a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether it works or not

Could it be that construction vehicles on building sites such as Crossrail or road construction projects are usually delievered to / from the site of work and do not travel there under their own power? The use on-site is self contained; thus becoming exempt from the regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.