• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contact information taken at Stansted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without realising I was traveling with an expired Railcard on a greater Anglia train on 31 August, from Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport. I was stopped at the exit and was told that effectively I was traveling without a valid ticket. Then the person collected my contact information and told me that I would be contacted through the post. However, as of today I have not received any communication. I'm worried that I somehow missed this notice and will miss the chance to respond.
How long does it take for such a notice to be posted?
Is there a way I can contact the company to check the status of my case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

The railways have up to six months to write to you, so they’re not out of time to get in touch with you yet.

Although it won’t be easy, try to not worry about not yet having heard. As long as you gave your name and address accurately, a letter should reach you - your local postie will be pretty good at correcting any small mistakes in the address on the letter and getting it to you.

Thank you!
I read about having 21 days to pay the fee or dispute the charge so I was getting worried! I'll try and wait patiently. :)

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thank you!
I read about having 21 days to pay the fee or dispute the charge so I was getting worried! I'll try and wait patiently. :)
That would be if you had been charged a ‘penalty fare’ - but that’s done in the spot and at the time. Instead, it looks as if you will get a letter asking for your side of the story and saying that you might be prosecuted. The good news is that this works to a rather longer timetable: the bad news is that even if you’re not prosecuted, the more usual end to this matter will be that you have to pay a train fare plus ’admin costs’ of maybe £100 to £200 - so it will be more expensive to deal with.

Thanks again. This is really frustrating! I was ready to pay the full fare or even the penalty fee there but the agent wanted to keep mez take a lot information and photos etc. Plus I had a plane to catch!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How far expired was the railcard? The company will audit your online ticket purchasing accounts to see how many fares have been short as a result. So, it could get expensive.

It was expired by a month. And the reason I didn't notice was because I don't travel by rail much anymore. I don't think I took another train trip between the expiration of the Railcard and this instance.

Snow1964

Established Member
Thanks again. This is really frustrating! I was ready to pay the full fare or even the penalty fee there but the agent wanted to keep mez take a lot information and photos etc. Plus I had a plane to catch!
Unfortunately the option of paying the full fare, plus the reduced penalty for quick payment is not available.

I can understand why they prefer to go through the long winded admin and writing to you if clearly trying it on (short ticket, no ticket etc), but for simple bought (wrong) ticket for journey done and prepared to buy full replacement ticket and pay penalty, not sure why has to go through hoops, especially if all it achieves is same offer but with extra admin cost

cuteypie26

It was expired by a month. And the reason I didn't notice was because I don't travel by rail much anymore. I don't think I took another train trip between the expiration of the Railcard and this instance.
Without realising I was traveling with an expired Railcard on a greater Anglia train on 31 August, from Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport. I was stopped at the exit and was told that effectively I was traveling without a valid ticket. Then the person collected my contact information and told me that I would be contacted through the post. However, as of today I have not received any communication. I'm worried that I somehow missed this notice and will miss the chance to respond.

hello, I am in the same situation and am terrified I’ve missed the letter. Have they since got in touch with you and how long did it take?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is an old thread and @ConfusedTravlr has not updated us on the outcome of their case. Please start your own thread if you are in need of assistance and we will be happy to provide advice. This is because matters can become confused if we discuss more than one case in a thread and experience has taught us that no two cases are ever quite the same, however similar they might seem at first.

Hello! I haven't heard anything from them. I tried contacting their customer service but the messages were confused and they didn't seem to understand my request.

Hello! I haven't heard anything from them. I tried contacting their customer service but the messages were confused and they didn't seem to understand my request.
Update! I received a letter from Greater Anglia a few days ago, dated 9th November. I made the payment today, hoping that the 14 day limit is 14 working days. I hope this will settle the matter.

Does anyone know if I should expect a response from them?

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Update! I received a letter from Greater Anglia a few days ago, dated 9th November. Letter is attached. I made the payment today, hoping that the 14 day limit is 14 working days. I hope this will settle the matter.

Does anyone know if I should expect a response from them?
Hi - I can't find contact details for the Revenue Protection Unit at Anglia here :

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/revenue-protection-prosecutions-policy

Just says use the contact form - so that you don't get confusion you could send a v simple message to them via that eg

"I am trying to get in touch with your Revenue Protection Unit about an incident that happened on X date at Y place. Please could you advise me how I can contact them directly by e-mail, phone or post"

Were you given any paperwork when stopped? - if it had a reference on it include that

Keep copies of whatever you send

I assume you gave them a correct address / contact info for you and as far as you know they recorded it correctly?

Hi - I can't find contact details for the Revenue Protection Unit at Anglia here :

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/revenue-protection-prosecutions-policy

Just says use the contact form - so that you don't get confusion you could send a v simple message to them via that eg

"I am trying to get in touch with your Revenue Protection Unit about an incident that happened on X date at Y place. Please could you advise me how I can contact them directly by e-mail, phone or post"

Were you given any paperwork when stopped? - if it had a reference on it include that

Keep copies of whatever you send

I assume you gave them a correct address / contact info for you and as far as you know they recorded it correctly?
They didn't give me any paperwork or any reference number. You just have to trust that they have the correct information. It took them more than 2 months to contact me. So there's still time for you to hear from them.

WesternLancer

Established Member
They didn't give me any paperwork or any reference number. You just have to trust that they have the correct information. It took them more than 2 months to contact me. So there's still time for you to hear from them.
ah sorry - just seen your update and that you have settled the matter.

Not sure if you would get a further response automatically - but if you have paid, keep proof of payment - I suspect you could contact them (if you have contact details) to request a written receipt or proof pf payment from Greater Anglia). I suspect no harm in doing that if their letter had contact details. If you do that I'd do it in writing (not phone) ie by e-mail or whatever - and keep a copy - so you could proove if you ever need to that you asked them for a receipt of payment made.

steamybrian

Established Member
I read with interest these reports and how members of this forum can help.

In this instance I have noted the location of the Confused Travir is giving as CT2 7RS which is Canterbury area as a friend of mine has a similar CT2 postcode. Has the expired railcard been used before.? How did the person get to Liverpool Street on the day in question?

I read with interest these reports and how members of this forum can help.

In this instance I have noted the location of the Confused Travir is giving as CT2 7RS which is Canterbury area as a friend of mine has a similar CT2 postcode. Has the expired railcard been used before.? How did the person get to Liverpool Street on the day in question?
I travelled to London that day during peak hours - so no Railcard was needed. Then just tube to Liverpool Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.