• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Contactless Daily Capping

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel-green

Hi

I am going to London for a day trip next month. I want to use contactless with daily capping. Do I have to select anywhere that I want daily capping (as opposed to weekly)?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NeilWatson

Hi

I am going to London for a day trip next month. I want to use contactless with daily capping. Do I have to select anywhere that I want daily capping (as opposed to weekly)?

Thanks

Daily capping happens automatically, with a further weekly cap if appropriate.

From www.tfl.gov.uk

When do we charge you?
Incomplete journey information
Unpaid fares
Refunds
Discounted travel
Travelcards and Bus & Tram Passes

When you use your contactless payment card to travel you will be charged an adult-rate pay as you go fare each time you make a journey. All the features of pay as you go on Oyster are available if you use a contactless payment card, and you also benefit from daily and Monday to Sunday capping.

We calculate the best fare for each day or week, depending on where and when you have travelled, by:

Adding up the cost of all the journeys you make each day and applying a daily cap if appropriate
Adding up the cost of all the journeys you make in each week and applying a Monday to Sunday cap if appropriate. For capping, a week always ends on a Sunday, although a cap will be applied earlier if you reach one
You can see your detailed journey history if you sign up for a TfL online account with us.

If you want to see the general adult-rate pay as you go fares please check our fares tables using the links below:

For journeys on Tube, DLR, TfL Rail and London Overground
For journeys on National Rail
For journeys on buses and trams
You can also see the Peak and Off-Peak pay as you go fares between any two named stations in our single fare finder.

When do we charge you?
When you use a contactless payment card to travel, we take a single payment at the end of each day for all the journeys you made, so you're usually charged for your travel the day after you made your journeys.

Card issuer statements usually show the transaction date (ie the day that you travelled) and the day that payment was taken from your account. Transactions may take a couple of days to appear on your statement. See the example statement below:

Find out more about your card issuer statement.

Incomplete journey information
Occasionally, we don't get complete information for all your journeys by the end of the day.

If data arrives up to three days late, we will adjust the end of day charge on the day we get the data to account for the new journey information
If data arrives more than three days and up to eight weeks late, we will issue a refund if appropriate
If we have late data, the transaction date shown on your card issuer statement may not be the date that you travelled.

If there is an incomplete journey on your card we will delay requesting the daily charge from your card issuer in case the journey information comes through to us a bit later.

When this happens, we won't charge a maximum fare until we are confident that we have all the information about the journey you made. There will also be an additional delay before the charge appears on your card issuer statement, so you may not be charged until a couple of days after you have travelled.

Unpaid fares
Sometimes your card may be accepted by our card readers, but the payment is subsequently declined by your card issuer. If this happens:

It means that you have made a journey which you have not paid for
You will not be able to use your card again to travel until you have paid for the unpaid fare
Find out how to clear an unpaid fare.

Please note that if an unpaid fare is successfully cleared, the payment could appear on your card issuer statement up to 30 days after you travelled.

Refunds
You can apply for a refund for a maximum fare charged for an incomplete journey. Wherever possible, refunds will be offset against your daily travel charge.

Find out more about refunds for maximum fares.

Discounted travel
Discount entitlements can't be added to a contactless payment card, so if you are eligible for free or discounted travel, you should continue using your existing Oyster card or Oyster photocard.

Travelcards and Bus & Tram Passes
You can't add Travelcards or Bus & Tram Passes to a contactless payment card. If you want to continue using these tickets, you should continue using your existing Oyster card or Oyster photocard.

Status
Not open for further replies.