• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Continuous Beeping Onboard Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all.

Whilst riding the bus today, my ears were assaulted by a horrendous, high-pitched, continuous beeping noise. Each 'beep' lasted for about 20 seconds, with only a few seconds of silence before the next beep. This repeated on a continuous cycle for the entire journey.

Thank goodness my journey was only 10 minutes, but I couldn't bear to imagine what it must've felt like for any passengers (or indeed the driver) who were travelling the entire route, which takes about 1h 30m to complete, end to end. I was already losing my mind and it hadn't even been 10 minutes!

Could anybody advise as to what this sound could've been?

Thank you in advance! :)

(Oh, and it was a Wright Streetlite, if that helps!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LiviCrazy

Hi all.

Whilst riding the bus today, my ears were assaulted by a horrendous, high-pitched, continuous beeping noise. Each 'beep' lasted for about 20 seconds, with only a few seconds of silence before the next beep. This repeated on a continuous cycle for the entire journey.

Thank goodness my journey was only 10 minutes, but I couldn't bear to imagine what it must've felt like for any passengers (or indeed the driver) who were travelling the entire route, which takes about 1h 30m to complete, end to end. I was already losing my mind and it hadn't even been 10 minutes!

Could anybody advise as to what this sound could've been?

Thank you in advance! :)

(Oh, and it was a Wright Streetlite, if that helps!)
Have had that a couple of times. I think it’s something to do with the doors not closing properly. Have seen a few drivers get out and manually slam the doors shut which seems to stop it.

I’m probably wrong on that one though. No technical expert.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Are you sure you weren't on an electric bus, new examples of which have by EU regulation to emit an acoustic warning to other road users, especially cyclists and pedestrians: older examples will have to be retrofitted by 2021? Haven't heard this in action, so wouldn't be able to comment if it accorded with what you heard.

Lewlew

Probably an emergency exit open (either a door or window upstairs on a double decker) if it was a loud continuous noise, if it was on and off randomly then likely a misaligned sensor or someone messing around

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Wright Streetlite.... It was probably low coolant caused by a coolant leak, very common on them and will cause an alarm in the cab to continuously go off...

As said some kind of warning buzzer that the company doesn't see as important so **** the driver and the passengers.

We had a brand new Olympian that from day one sounded it's low water buzzer every time it turned left. It was still like this the day it was scrapped.

route101

Established Member
Theres an alarm ive started to hear on First Glasgow buses , plays out aloud so can hear when bus passes , says driver has 999 or something

Theres an alarm ive started to hear on First Glasgow buses , plays out aloud so can hear when bus passes , says driver has 999 or something
Vehicle under attack please dial 999 . Ive has a Gemini where it went off on its own ,eventually got quiet but the hazards came on at the same time .

PG

Established Member
I still remember an 11 year old me going home from school on the last day before the summer holidays, bus was a Bristol VR with a constant ding ding ding sounding at the rear of the lower saloon once we'd got 5 miles or so out of town. Managed another few miles before it ground to a halt after climbing to the top of a 2 mile long hill. Driver said it was the low fuel warning due to buses being outstationed overnight whereupon thieves had realised they could obtain some free fuel! Once the driver returned after having located a phone box and said we'd be there for about another hour till a fitter arrived I decided since it was a sunny afternoon I'd walk the remaining few miles home - happy days :D

A good few years later I was driving an elderly Leopard on my last run of the evening with a handful of passengers (including the council checker - it was a tendered service) when it ground to a halt just over halfway along the 20+ mile route! Unlike the VR from my childhood it didn't have an audible low fuel warning. Cue an embarrassed me apologising before doing the trek for a phone box :oops: My back of 10pm finish went out the window to become a very late turn, just glad it wasn't chucking it down...

Anyway back on topic, as others have said, it's either coolant (though that's usually a constant annoying buzzer) or a power door not detected closed correctly which is what I'd put my money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.