• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conversion Heavy Rail-Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

which lines would be good candidates for conversion to tube? A few thoughts

Lea Valley Lines: Bethnal Green-Chingford/Enfield Town/Cheshunt. Taken over by Central line, and Victoria north of Walthamstow. Services north of Cheshunt to run via Stratford, with Stansted & Hertford East joining Crossrail 2.

Chiltern line: Neasden-South Ruislip. Taken over by Jubilee line, Chiltern services running fast

Greenford Branch: Ealing Broadway-Greenford. Taken over by Central line.

Hayes line: Lewisham-Hayes. Taken over by Bakerloo line.

Sutton Loop: Northern extensions from Morden-Sutton and Sutton-Kennington via Wimbledon, Clapham Junction & Battersea

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Bakerloo back up to Watford Junction to release capacity in Euston for HS2? This could be done when Evo Stock arrives, or alternatively with 1972 Mk1 vehicles. The 378s would be useful for Goblin or a via Primrose Hill service.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't HS2 going to use a completely new set of platforms at Euston though? And what about South Hampstead and Kilburn High Rd, whose sole service is the 3tph between Euston and Watford Jn on the DC lines?

Ivo

Established Member
I agree on Hayes - in fact this has been mentioned by Network Rail before now - but otherwise remain to be convinced at this stage. Chingford may also work.

Clip

Established Member
Chiltern line: Neasden-South Ruislip. Taken over by Jubilee line, Chiltern services running fast

Why though? Would need new signalling and a new set of points to join the line that comes out of the waste plant there and IIRC they are both on different levels until right at the start of the station so it would take some heavy engineering to level it off to fit a set of points in wouldnt it?

Though again I would just have to ask why? And whats with the obsession with the Northern line at the moment? With all these extra destinatins and terminals is there any more capacity through the centre of it to handle these extra trains or will the services be reduced from the existing terminals to accomodate them? Not fair on commuters who us them from here if the latter would have to be the case

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The various ones where you suggest linking them to existing tube lines have the minor issue of the capacity not being there on those tube lines. On the lee valley lines, you'd to increase frequencies a bit- you're suggesting replacing mainline sized 160m long trains with tube sized 130m long trains.

There might be sense in linking the lee valley routes up as part of Crossrail 3/4/5/whatever. But not at Tube loading gauge.

Even without connecting through, the Lee Valley needs an additional pair of tracks, grade seperated, from Hackney Downs to the junction for Hertford East. It already has seperate fast lines from Bethnal Green to Hackney Downs. With an additional pair of lines, services from Cambridge (and beyond) and Bishops Stortford could all run Broxbourne-Tottenham Hale-Liverpool Street as fast services. I'd have Lee Valley Metro services starting at Liverpool Street and Stratford running (from both) to Enfield, both routes to Hertford and to Chingford (no more Chesunt terminators).

With sufficiently fast Broxbourne-Liverpool Street fast lines you could even consider re-routing the Cambridge Express services to Liverpool Street. But to do this you're realistically looking at an expnesive set of tunnels to bypass Clapton.

D365

Veteran Member
Isn't HS2 going to use a completely new set of platforms at Euston though? And what about South Hampstead and Kilburn High Rd, whose sole service is the 3tph between Euston and Watford Jn on the DC lines?

Capacity will be limited during the rebuild, perhaps? A Primrose Hill service might be better as it would serve the stations you mention and could be extended to Barking via NLL/Goblin if the latter is electrified. However it is done, the extra space from rerouted Watford DCs would surely be welcome in Euston.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I made a fictional proposal for a large-scale extension of the Waterloo & City line in which the Chingford Branch was converted to form an extension for the line. I'll have to find my map and attach it.

LE Greys

Established Member
Hmm...

Now, the one I'd really like to do is a revival of the Northern Heights plus an ELL extension from Canonbury to Highgate so that the Northern diverts into Alexandra Palace (the original version). However, that's clearly impossible. Another one would be to extend the DLR to Waterloo via the Drain (which would be tricky, since Bank station would need a total rebuild) with a new station at Blackfriars.

I would rather like to 'tubify' the current Crossrail 2 plans, since it allows for a western route to Southall and Heathrow rather than a south-western one.

ntg

Hmm...

Now, the one I'd really like to do is a revival of the Northern Heights plus an ELL extension from Canonbury to Highgate so that the Northern diverts into Alexandra Palace (the original version). However, that's clearly impossible. Another one would be to extend the DLR to Waterloo via the Drain (which would be tricky, since Bank station would need a total rebuild) with a new station at Blackfriars.

I would rather like to 'tubify' the current Crossrail 2 plans, since it allows for a western route to Southall and Heathrow rather than a south-western one.

I think the Hertford loop being absorbed by LO migh give precedent to some far off future expansion of Canonbury. Trains may once more travel from Ally Pally to Shoreditch...

As for Crossrail 2, I though the metro option was still on the table? I do recall reading that it may be a two phase construction, build to a large gauge but running as a tube line until connected to NR network in the future, like the current Northern City Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.