• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley line

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Line will re-open Monday 22nd February but with a 20 mph Speed Restriction for a 6 mile stretch pending further work to be carried out. As a result, there will be an amended timetable to reflect this lengthy restriction. The timetable can be downloaded from ATW Journey Check.

The emergency Timetable includes an ECS ex Llandudno Jn for the first service from Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
The emergency Timetable includes an ECS ex Llandudno Jn for the first service from Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Yes - I noticed that and initially thought how odd it was to run that service as ECS and provide a parallel r.r.bus for passengers.

But then I suppose there's not enough time with the extended journey time to stop at Tal-y-cafn, Llanrwst and Betwys-y-coed and get to Blaenau Ffestiniog in time for the return at 0624.

There's no opportunity to start the ECS earlier, as it doesn't arrive at the Junction from Chester until 0522.

Seems a costly way to run the service, though.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes - I noticed that and initially thought how odd it was to run that service as ECS and provide a parallel r.r.bus for passengers.

But then I suppose there's not enough time with the extended journey time to stop at Tal-y-cafn, Llanrwst and Betwys-y-coed and get to Blaenau Ffestiniog in time for the return at 0624.

There's no opportunity to start the ECS earlier, as it doesn't arrive at the Junction from Chester until 0522.

Seems a costly way to run the service, though.

Correct. A result of the additional journey times. The stock actually arrives from Chester at 0430. The one that arrives at 0522 is the 175 ECS and the 0430 the 150/158 ECS.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
maybe it is felt that the line needs to be checked before the first passenger service

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
maybe it is felt that the line needs to be checked before the first passenger service

No. It's to get a train to Blaenau Ffestiniog in time to work the first train because the first train from the Llandudno end will be too late to achieve a suitable departure time. The trains have had to have additional time built into them to allow for the 20 mph stretch for 6 miles.

Welshman

Established Member
Correct. A result of the additional journey times. The stock actually arrives from Chester at 0430. The one that arrives at 0522 is the 175 ECS and the 0430 the 150/158 ECS.

I stand corrected re the arrival of the stock.

So there is more leeway, but I suppose drivers'/conductors' hours means it can't depart from the Junction any earlier, call at the required stations and make the return journey slot.

Fair enough. But it still seems wasteful to run an empty train, and a probably almost empty[?] bus up the Conwy Valley at that time in the morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.