• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cornwall Open Top Bus Service 300 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

swifty

Established Member
The green VR has not been fixed yet and is still parked in the same place that it was a week ago.

That's not the case, it's been fixed and was out in use around Truro over the weekend.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Lodekka and the green VR both parked up at Camborne so be interested to know what is doing the 300 today. The green VR has not been fixed yet and is still parked in the same place that it was a week ago.

The green VR has been fixed and it spent this weekend working a Truro to stithians show ground free bus for the south of England steam rally.

A link to one of my Flickr contacts pictured in Perranwell on Sunday morning. He has further pictures of it in Truro.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29197902@N06/14945355895/

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
The last run of the full summer service 300 took place today with Bristol FLF 824 KDV doing the honours. The service continues to operate until 27th September albeit with just two journeys each way Monday to Saturday and three on Sundays.

Attachments

• DSCF9573.jpg
    DSCF9573.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The green VR was seen 2p.m. today, blinded for the 300, a short way from Long Rock depot (the first time I've seen it down here this summer)

richw

Veteran Member
The green VR was seen 2p.m. today, blinded for the 300, a short way from Long Rock depot (the first time I've seen it down here this summer)

It was broken down at Sennen Cove about 1pm. I have some photos. A Royale collected the passengers and continued the 300 for the remainder of today.

Once I have placed on Flickr will share to my pics of the broken VR.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was broken down at Sennen Cove about 1pm. I have some photos. A Royale collected the passengers and continued the 300 for the remainder of today.

Once I have placed on Flickr will share to my pics of the broken VR.

It had 'LANDS END' on blind, could have been an engineer driving it (you can never tell with the hi-viz jackets) and was going to, rather than from, the depot at normal speed, so can't have had too much wrong with it. Perhaps it didn't like the hill at Sennen!

richw

Veteran Member
It had 'LANDS END' on blind, could have been an engineer driving it (you can never tell with the hi-viz jackets) and was going to, rather than from, the depot at normal speed, so can't have had too much wrong with it. Perhaps it didn't like the hill at Sennen!

It was right at the bottom of the hill. It had leaked some kind of fluids by the looks of it. It had st Ives on the blind when broken, an engineer in a berlingo van in attendance with driver watching on. The driver was wearing white shirt and hi viz, engineer a hi viz boiler suit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Rather a nice place to break down on a sunny day! Left it a little tight for the other buses to pass as can be seen

AFJ706T Sennen Cove (1) by Rich.W., on Flickr

AFJ706T Sennen Cove (2) by Rich.W., on Flickr

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It was right at the bottom of the hill. It had leaked some kind of fluids by the looks of it. It had st Ives on the blind when broken, an engineer in a berlingo van in attendance with driver watching on. The driver was wearing white shirt and hi viz, engineer a hi viz boiler suit.
Rather a nice place to break down on a sunny day! Left it a little tight for the other buses to pass as can be seen

Ironic to breakdown outside a pub called that!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Thanks for the lovely photos. If it was bound for St Ives, it would be about to ascend that notorious hill for a second time within the hour, so it might have been a factor. The driver was definitely the one I saw driving it, but it definitely had Lands End showing without a via point. Agreed, a beautiful day to break down if you can have such a thing!

richw

Veteran Member
First Cornwall posted on facebook both the 300 and 17 were running an hour late due to an accident, at about 1400 this afternoon. I took these photos at 1330 roughly- my service 1 arrived lands end at 1341.
I did a Ride Cornwall and the biggest delay I encountered was 2 minutes over 7 buses used,

Busaholic

Veteran Member
First Cornwall posted on facebook both the 300 and 17 were running an hour late due to an accident, at about 1400 this afternoon. I took these photos at 1330 roughly- my service 1 arrived lands end at 1341.
I did a Ride Cornwall and the biggest delay I encountered was 2 minutes over 7 buses used,

Would probably explain why two 17B this p.m. only quarter hour apart.

83G/84D

Established Member
Slightly off topic but there were four Bristol VR's in the Penzance area early this afternoon.

VDV 141S in GWR chocolate & cream, AFJ 749T in Barbie & AFJ 706T in Western National Green were all at the Penzance outstation this afternoon.

At Penzance Bus station was MWG 941X ex Yorkshire Traction which was later seen driving around Camborne.

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for the lovely photos. If it was bound for St Ives, it would be about to ascend that notorious hill for a second time within the hour, so it might have been a factor. The driver was definitely the one I saw driving it, but it definitely had Lands End showing without a via point. Agreed, a beautiful day to break down if you can have such a thing!

It broke down again today in exactly the same place at the same time - fuelling issues being the problem on both days.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It broke down again today in exactly the same place at the same time - fuelling issues being the problem on both days.

I won't do the Lady Bracknell quote! When Virgin were running CrossCountry I caught one of their trains one evening at Plymouth and it ground to a halt between St Austell and Truro. When we finally got away from Truro on a GreatWestern the crew from the XC were in my carriage (they had an overnight stop in Penzance) and the driver said that his train had run out of fuel and it was the fourth time it had happened in six weeks, but advised us that Virgin would deny it point blank if challenged.

richw

Veteran Member
To be fair to the VR it's not long been back on the road after 7 years off.
It's had a few issues, I understand earlier in the summer it had head gasket failure.

I guess if an Olympian or Dart broke down twice in 2 months we wouldn't notice as they have such a fleet of them to send another out.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A lovely day in Penzance - weather warmer than last week, if anything. Despite this, closed-top 32878 on the 17B this afternoon with some disappointed-looking visitors boarding it.

richw

Veteran Member
A lovely day in Penzance - weather warmer than last week, if anything. Despite this, closed-top 32878 on the 17B this afternoon with some disappointed-looking visitors boarding it.

2 out of 3 of the 17s each hour are meant to be closed top.

They are 2 open toppers down at the moment.

One of the, was involved in a serious accident last week

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/A30-clo...s-pedestrian/story-22870030-detail/story.html

THE A30 has reopened in Penzance after a collision between a double-decker bus and a pedestrian.

The man, believed to be from the local area and in his late 50s, was taken to Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske, for treatment after the incident, which happened between the Heamoor roundabout and Alverton at around 1pm today.

A police spokesman said the man is not believed to have suffered life threatening injuries.

Both eastbound and westbound lanes were closed on Cornwall’s main road following the collision with severe traffic building up in the area. It reopened again at 3.20pm.

Read more: http://www.cornishman.co.uk/A30-clo...tory-22870030-detail/story.html#ixzz3Ck0BY7me
Follow us: @CornishmanPaper on Twitter | Cornishmanpaper on Facebook
Read more at http://www.cornishman.co.uk/A30-clo...2870030-detail/story.html#H3dsRSqVJrc6TrbW.99
and one of the citybus' is mechanically dead and being cannibalised for the others.

Make the most of the D***GHY unless first change their plans it's their final 2 weeks of service. Low floor open toppers are understood to be lined up for next year. Tridents being the expected.

Now let's start taking bets on how many get stuck coming up the hill from sennen cove?

83G/84D

Established Member
Replacement of the Citybuses has been planned for a while although as you suggest I am not sure that Trident's will manage so well in places where there are steep climbs. They are not that popular with drivers and I doubt that they will be with passengers in open top configuration either.

I wonder if First would consider other open top buses to replace the Citybus. I am wondering if a few second hand examples would be available and if the type of bus and price / condition is good it might save on conversion costs of the Trident's.

I suppose the cost of converting buses would have to be weighed up against purchasing other types. Is converting Olympians is out of the question as they are step entrance?

Are Volvo B7TL's any better than Trident's? First have a few spare one's available.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Replacement of the Citybuses has been planned for a while although as you suggest I am not sure that Trident's will manage so well in places where there are steep climbs. They are not that popular with drivers and I doubt that they will be with passengers in open top configuration either.

I wonder if First would consider other open top buses to replace the Citybus. I am wondering if a few second hand examples would be available and if the type of bus and price / condition is good it might save on conversion costs of the Trident's.

I suppose the cost of converting buses would have to be weighed up against purchasing other types. Is converting Olympians is out of the question as they are step entrance?

Are Volvo B7TL's any better than Trident's? First have a few spare one's available.

Thoughts anyone?

You're getting carried away. There are no plans to replace the current open tops for next season

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
richw seems to think so in the previous post to mine.

I think that was a rumour of something that could happen.

When the day comes to replace them, then perhaps Trident 2 (depending on transmission) or B7TL. The early Tridents are ponderous and gutless. I can't see the point of converting Olyms for 3 years - doesn't make sense when they're going in 2017.

swifty

Established Member

When the day comes to replace them, then perhaps Trident 2 (depending on transmission) or B7TL. The early Tridents are ponderous and gutless. I can't see the point of converting Olyms for 3 years - doesn't make sense when they're going in 2017.

32027 is meant to be lurking in the depths of Lawrence Hill still, I'd heard it was almost completed back in July. I'd imagine it'd end up at either Penzance or Weymouth?

richw

Veteran Member

Several members of staff seem certain the Citybuses are off.

I did a ride Cornwall last Wednesday as one fairly senior member of staff suggested I had 3 weeks to do so as my last chance knowing from conversations I'd had with him it was on my to do list. I squeezed in 2 Citybuses and a trident (they are all but gone now with the arrival of out E400s) following that conversation.

32027 is meant to be lurking in the depths of Lawrence Hill still, I'd heard it was almost completed back in July. I'd imagine it'd end up at either Penzance or Weymouth?

It is, and is painted in full BoS colours!!! :D
Several members of staff seem certain the Citybuses are off.

I did a ride Cornwall last Wednesday as one fairly senior member of staff suggested I had 3 weeks to do so as my last chance knowing from conversations I'd had with him it was on my to do list. I squeezed in 2 Citybuses and a trident (they are all but gone now with the arrival of out E400s) following that conversation.

I can assure you that they aren't going anywhere. There may be a thinning out of the total number of open tops, but no new ones, except that the B7 could end up in either Cornwall or Somerset.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It is, and is painted in full BoS colours!!! :D

I can assure you that they aren't going anywhere. There may be a thinning out of the total number of open tops, but no new ones, except that the B7 could end up in either Cornwall or Somerset.

Now that's tantalising! A open top for BoS..... The mind boggles

Status
Not open for further replies.