• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus virus fears causing panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
Agreed. It probably makes sense for a given store to standardise on the pack size they'll sell most of. For a large supermarket that might as well be either 9, 12 or 24. For a local shop, probably 4, primarily because people mostly travel to such shops on foot and only buy a small number of items to carry home.
My local Sainsburys (normal size, not a Local) has only been having packs of 4. Must be bl@@dy expensive if you've got a large family.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I must admit I’m surprised about the absence of dried pasta here in St Albans. It is here, (allegedly!) that the ‘overheard in Waitrose’ comment was made by a yummy mummy shrieking down the aisle to her young son who was trying to be helpful by putting stuff in the trolley.

“NO TARQUIN. We do not have dried pasta! Go and get some fresh!”
Reminds me of the sketch in the Catherine Tate Show a few years back when Catherine, as mummy, shouts to her prep school kids in the egg and spoon race 'no, Sebastian, put them down, they're not organic.' :lol:

AndrewE

Established Member
Our local Coop is pretty well re-stocked now (apart from flour,) luckily their usual range of ground coffee is still available as it's very good and not excessively expensive.
Can't find any wholemeal breadflour anywhere yet, and Doves Farm online shop is locked down too!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Our local Coop is pretty well re-stocked now (apart from flour,) luckily their usual range of ground coffee is still available as it's very good and not excessively expensive.
Can't find any wholemeal breadflour anywhere yet, and Doves Farm online shop is locked down too!

Unfortunately my local Co-op was sold to Budgens, which is nowhere as good

corfield

Still don’t get stockpiling flour - what do you do with it, unless you’ve milk, butter etc as well?

A nation of suppressed bakers!

Pasta now seems back on the shelves in the evening when I go (hate qeueing!) albeit not a lot.
Don’t need personally is as I bought 1000s the other week

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Still don’t get stockpiling flour - what do you do with it, unless you’ve milk, butter etc as well?

A nation of suppressed bakers!

Pasta now seems back on the shelves in the evening when I go (hate qeueing!) albeit not a lot.
Don’t need personally is as I bought 1000s the other week

It’s not stockpiling - it’s people doing baking. In my house it’s one way to keep the kids entertained, albeit waistlines are suffering.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I think there is a lot to be said for NOT compressing four days shopping demand into adjacent days. I would advocate standard opening hours 7 days per week. It is hard enough to socially distance in a queue but to then shorten opening hours will make the queues longer and more compressed. Cutting out Fri-Mon inclusive would cause panic buying. OK possibly only some as I imagine most households that did panic buy last time might still be stuffed !. The risks to avoid are less essential activities like going to parks.

Karl

On Moderation
I picked up 2 tins of Heinz beans and nearly had a heart attack as I scanned them across the self-checkout till. £1.25????!! per tin. I promptly returned one back to the shelf. Sheesh!!

farleigh

I picked up 2 tins of Heinz beans and nearly had a heart attack as I scanned them across the self-checkout till. £1.25????!! per tin. I promptly returned one back to the shelf. Sheesh!!
Is that safe?
Is this a different method to achieving the same outcome as rationing?
Aldi beans are - surprisingly - acceptable

farleigh

"A million have them every day, they pick up a tin of beans and say, beans means Heinz!!!"
Ha ha - takes me back to schooldays.

Beans, beans good for your heart,
The more you eat the more you f**t,
Custard powder makes 'em louder
Chivers jelly makes 'em smelly

AndrewE

Established Member
Ha ha - takes me back to schooldays.

Beans, beans good for your heart,
The more you eat the more you f**t,
Custard powder makes 'em louder
Chivers jelly makes 'em smelly
No!
"The more you fart the better you feel,
so it's Beans, Beans - for every meal!"

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m going to lock this thread now because there’s enough for us to keep an eye on at the moment and the initial panic buying situation seems to have moved on anyway.
Thanks all. (I’ve got three toilet rolls left by the way. Send me a pm and I’ll swap it for some pasta) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.