• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Correct charge for out of zones Oyster Travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Any ideas if they do a season ticket of a Boundary Zone ticket? Like a weekly from Boundary 5 to Potters Bar?

Appreciate everyone's responses on this.
No, it would be necessary to have a season ticket for Potters Bar to New Barnet (ie first station in Zone 5).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
There isn't even a bad website with boundary fares on PAYG. They are simply not published.

'Paper' boundary fares are available on the BRfares website, which is a good website.
Sounds like a subject for an FOI Act request?

neodoughnut

Thanks for all the responses everyone! :D So it looks like I will get daily paper Anytime Return Tickets From Potters Bar to New Barnet as it works out a lot cheaper than the Weekly Season Ticket (I work 4 days a week - 4 x £5.40 vs £28.00).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would imagine that just indicates that the extension fare from Zone 5 to Potters Bar, which is unpublished, is more than the point-to-point fare for New Southgate to Potters Bar.
The rip-off unpublished extension fares strike again... under the Consumer Rights Act, if a price is not agreed before the service is provided, only a "reasonable" price may be charged.

I fail to see how TfL can claim that the inflated extension fares are "reasonable", particularly given that there's nothing that TfL publishes which warns that extension fares may be more expensive than point to point fares.

Of course, whether TfL will willingly refund you the difference is a different question to whether they're obliged to do so. If they refuse, you'll have to consider whether it's worth your time and effort to pursue the matter further.

But I'm sure I've actually purchased tickets in the past with Boundary Zones from ticket offices? And even TVMs?
The 'paper' Boundary Zone fares (in some cases they may also be able to be fulfilled as e-tickets or on a smartcard) are completely separate to the Oyster/contactless PAYG extension fares.

Alex365Dash

Any ideas if they do a season ticket of a Boundary Zone ticket? Like a weekly from Boundary 5 to Potters Bar?

Appreciate everyone's responses on this.
You can get a weekly ticket between Potters Bar and New Barnet for £28, but it’s priced at approximately 5.2x the Anytime Day Return so day returns will probably be better value unless you go out on one of the weekend days more than once every 4 weeks.

Which, to be fair for you, might be a possibility…

EDIT: Beaten to it, didn’t turn the page!

That said, a Flexi Season can be purchased between Potters Bar and New Barnet for £41 and gives a day’s worth of travel in and out of Zone 5 for any 8 days you pick in a span of 28. This would bring it to a daily cost of £5.13/day - you’d need to buy these every two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.