• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cost of electricity generation

AndrewE

Established Member
Moderator note - split from:

The difficulty with RAB is that it makes sense for a nuclear power plant or a sewer because those items are expected to fully pay back their costs from users. So the build costs of Sizewell C will be paid up front by electricity bill payers, in exchange they get 60 years of low cost electricity. In the case of a railway line the taxpayer will need to pay back the costs which diminishes the benefit vs direct procurement.
Can you justify that? As I understand it we are guaranteed to pay a lot... https://www.power-technology.com/projects/hinkley-point-c-nuclear-power-station/?cf-view says
The UK government and EDF entered into a commercial agreement on the key terms of the proposed investment contract for the nuclear power project in October 2013. Terms include a strike price of £92.50 per MWh of energy produced, fully indexed to the Consumer Price Index.
I believe that the current price of electricity for the year ahead is "only" £75/MWhr (and what has inflation been since 2013?) and renewables have driven the price down year on year and will continue to do so.
It's a very poor deal, and to my mind it shows just how bad for the public this pretence of the private sector funding infrastructure really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Can you justify that? As I understand it we are guaranteed to pay a lot... https://www.power-technology.com/projects/hinkley-point-c-nuclear-power-station/?cf-view says

I believe that the current price of electricity for the year ahead is "only" £75/MWhr (and what has inflation been since 2013?) and renewables have driven the price down year on year and will continue to do so.
It's a very poor deal, and to my mind it shows just how bad for the public this pretence of the private sector funding infrastructure really is.
Hinkley Point C was not acquired under the RAB model, Sizewell C will be if it is built however.

The price for Hinkley Point C is essentially entirely used up repaying capital costs, it's a giant PFI.
The actual generating cost of an EPR is probably closer to £20/MWh.

JamesT

Established Member
This is below current electricity prices, which across August were £82.19/MWh on average, according to Nordpool.

According to the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit (ECIU) the cost of offshore wind has increased by as much as 40% over the past year due largely to inflation.
The costs of renewables dropping is not a given, material costs have been rising, grid connections are also rising as locations get increasingly remote.

The advantage of the way HPC was funded is the price is fixed, regardless of how much the costs of building it spiral.

AndrewE

Established Member
The advantage of the way HPC was funded is the price is fixed, regardless of how much the costs of building it spiral.
So how is "fully indexed to the Consumer Price Index" fixed?

JamesT

Established Member
So how is "fully indexed to the Consumer Price Index" fixed?
That‘s fixed in real terms. Whereas construction costs have gone from £26bn to £31-35bn (both in 2015 pounds).

Technologist

As stated above the actual generation costs of an EPR are about £20/MWh, they could over time come down from that if we had a very large fleet see cost decreases in other forms of energy.

As I stated above Sizewell C is planned to be completed using a RAB, HPC was done under a contract for difference which is essentially a fixed price deal for 40 years after it expires the plant will then just deliver electricity at market rates for at least the next 40 years beyond that. The issue with CFDs is that they place "all" the risk on the developer and thus incentivise them to seek the highest fixed price.

In wind/solar there are multiple developers so price competition can be used to bring the bids down, the CFDs can however be handed back at any stage so if development prices go up developers can always walk away. In nuclear you have no competition hence the high prices.

However to go back to RAB, if Sizewell C costs £32 billion to build (the same as HPC, it should be cheaper) then this would be paid up front by bill payers. Typically the discount rate for a long term public project according to the treasury would be 3.5%. If we spread that out over a 60 year lifetime of the plant then the cost per MWh of construction drops to £50/MWh or £75/MWh all in. There are some caveats to apply firstly the £32 bn figure for HPC I suspect includes interest during construction at commercial rates, if you built it by RAB you'd pay the developer back every year or so putting the money on the lower interest rate which would bring the cost down substantially.

The other more broad point is that the first 3GW of on and off shore wind was financed at far higher costs per MWh than HPC.

Second point is that EDF and CGN can likely borrow in the long term at rates commensurate with their states, the CFD cost just assumes that they can't and everything is funded by a commercial loan. So to a degree the whole HPC project is an arbitrage play where the UK consumer transfers money to France and China!

The costs of renewables dropping is not a given, material costs have been rising, grid connections are also rising as locations get increasingly remote.

The issue as the national audit office point out is what happens if EDF pull out with the plant half finished because cost escalates? We still want the plant so its likely that the government would bail it out in some way even if they purchase it from a bankruptcy.