• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could Cambridge station be renamed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Just leave it as it is. Or stick something sensible like ‘Central’. It doesn’t matter if it’s not exactly central to the city. It’s the most central station and the one that people will be getting off at for the City centre. The only people it will cause a problem too are ‘central enthusiasts’ who like to visit ‘central’ stations to see how ‘central’ they are.

D365

Veteran Member
I once heard a somewhat ironic claim that Cambridge, like Rome, was built on seven hills, though Castle Hill is the only one I remember being a noticeable effort to cycle up.
Reads like an obscure pub quiz connection between Cambridge and Sheffield!

Tobbes

Established Member
Keeping the name 'Cambridge' for the current station is sensible, even though I like 'Cambridge General'.

William3000

Considering Fulbourn is outside Cambridge I think you need to rethink your suggestion (as it's certainly more inappropriate than "Cambridge Central"). A more appropriate suggestion (other than Cambridge or Cambridge Central) would be 'Petersfield', as that is, I believe, the Council ward the entrance to the station is in.
Technically Cambridge North is outside Cambridge just over the border in South Cambs and Milton parish.

I’ve noticed some people saying Cambridge Central or the main station when advising people to distinguish from Cambridge North. And of course in some cities and towns like Canterbury and Maidstone there are central stations called East and West so it may seem plausible for somebody not familar with Cambridge to get off at Cambridge North.

LLivery

Established Member
I'd probably go with 'Cambridge City'. But dare I say 'Cambridge Hawking', after Stephen? No worse than 'Madrid-Chamartín Clara Campoamor'

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'd probably go with 'Cambridge City'. But dare I say 'Cambridge Hawking', after Stephen? No worse than 'Madrid-Chamartín Clara Campoamor'
Ireland also has a number of main stations named after individuals. The UK has done it with Airports (including fictional ones in the case of Doncaster Robin Hood) but generally has avoided doing so except for the Monarchy.
Sticking with the GWR theme, would 'Cambridge Road' not be more appropriate, given the station's location?!!
Cambridge Road would suggest a P&R to me, although how significant a factor that would be in anybody's decision to visit or journey planning I don't know.

Cambridge City or Cambridge Central would seem the only realistic candidates as 'General' sounds quite old-fashioned, and developers have never been overly worried about the accuracy of buzzwords like 'central' before using them before.

AzureOtsu

yes and I also think we should rename Brighton to Brighton central, London road to Brighton East, moulscoomb to Brighton East east but not quite, and hove to Brighton west. but most importantly aldrington to Brighton-just-on-the-edge

LLivery

Established Member
Ireland also has a number of main stations named after individuals. The UK has done it with Airports (including fictional ones in the case of Doncaster Robin Hood) but generally has avoided doing so except for the Monarchy.

Indeed, Dublin Connolly and Hueston come to mind... Always surprises me that there isn't really anything major named after Churchill, Atlee or Disraeli at least.

zwk500

Veteran Member
yes and I also think we should rename Brighton to Brighton central, London road to Brighton East, moulscoomb to Brighton East east but not quite, and hove to Brighton west. but most importantly aldrington to Brighton-just-on-the-edge
Your neighbours would be up in arms about that particular change! :D Preston Park would presumably be Brighton North in your plan? Moulscomb could quite easily be Brighton University.
Indeed, Dublin Connolly and Hueston come to mind... Always surprises me that there isn't really anything major named after Churchill, Atlee or Disraeli at least.
The thing in the UK is our politicians tend to be divisive characters for one reason or another, hence why our big national comings-together are led by the Monarchy.

Cambridge Central does look somewhat similar to 'Coatbridge Central'
If you're using this as a criteria for station names then what on earth do you plan to do about both Ashfords, both Earlsfield, or Clapham and Clapham Junction.

LLivery

Established Member
The thing in the UK is our politicians tend to be divisive characters for one reason or another, hence why our big national comings-together are led by the Monarchy.

True, and I wouldn't go for PMs either for that reason. But as some have insisted that mentioning some former PMs, shall we say, problematic views, is almost treason, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried. Funny though, Belgium has more stations/stops named after British PMs than the UK.

zwk500

Veteran Member
True, and I wouldn't go for PMs either for that reason. But as some have insisted that mentioning some former PMs, shall we say, problematic views, is almost treason, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried.
I'm sure the suggestion has been made, but sycophantic nationalists are appeased by the monarchy as well so it's usually sidestepped easily enough.
Funny though, Belgium has more stations/stops named after British PMs than the UK.
Doesn't the UK have more stations named after a certain Belgian village than Belgium does? :D

gingerheid

Established Member
I'd go with Cambridge As Close To The Centre As The University Let Us Build, shortened to Cambridge.

Tobbes

Established Member
I'd go with Cambridge As Close To The Centre As The University Let Us Build, shortened to Cambridge.
Very droll. Cambridge is probably right, not least because the alternative 'Cambridge Central' isn't very central.... If the tram thing every happens, 'Cambridge Interchange' could work.

LLivery

Established Member
I'm sure the suggestion has been made, but sycophantic nationalists are appeased by the monarchy as well so it's usually sidestepped easily enough.

Doesn't the UK have more stations named after a certain Belgian village than Belgium does? :D

Oh yes! I believe we do!

Status
Not open for further replies.