• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could Class 769's be used on Cardiff-Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Taken from this thread. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/through-gwr-bedwyns-to-be-axed-from-may-2022.228842/page-8
If we're not careful then some 'bright spark' (no pun intended) will suggest to DfT they'd be better using 769s on Cardiff-Portsmouth
I know it's unlikely but would it work as they'd be making all their power capabilities in one journey AC/DC & Diesel.
The main benefits are: that it could displace turbos to replace 150's on the Paignton-Exmouth services.
Plus the 158's could then replace the remaining castle HST's. I hope they do turn out successful when they do enter service and maybe GWR could at least examine it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
No point suggesting it, the fuel range on a cl769 is insufficient to be able to do a full days diagram with the length of diesel section from Redbridge to Patchway (circa 80 miles).

TXMISTA

You want to give Cardiff - Portsmouth passengers another downgrade, after the 158s were cascaded by Turbos? It’s really quite sad how much contempt people show towards this route. It might not be a fast, traditional intercity service but it’s an important regional route in its own right and deserves better than recycled Thameslink junk.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I would imagine they wouldn’t be able to run to current times. I know it was originally timed to 75mph, but from what I’m hearing 769s are on a par or slower than 150s.

In their current configuration they’d be better off on Devon metro I would guess as they have low dwell times and cater for short journey times.

Nick Ashwell

You want to give Cardiff - Portsmouth passengers another downgrade, after the 158s were cascaded by Turbos? It’s really quite sad how much contempt people show towards this route. It might not be a fast, traditional intercity service but it’s an important regional route in its own right and deserves better than recycled Thameslink junk.
But for those that use the Bristol to Cardiff end its an upgrade because you can now get a seat! It used to be a pain to commute on as you rarely had a seat available, at least in my experience.

I do however agree that 769s are a no no

Kite159

Veteran Member
But for those that use the Bristol to Cardiff end its an upgrade because you can now get a seat! It used to be a pain to commute on as you rarely had a seat available, at least in my experience.

I do however agree that 769s are a no no

Yes a seat in the middle of two others.

No thanks, I, like many others would rather stand than try and squeeze into the middle seat of a bay of 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.