• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could EMR use something as a stop gap until the class 810s are introduced?

QSK19

It’s a little difficult to see what can really be done on the IC side in terms of a stop gap.
Wasn’t this addressed to an extent by the 180s (despite their reputation)? The fact they weren’t kept on means that nothing will get done on the IC side in terms of stop-gap - keeping the 180s would have been the easy solution seeing as they had no home to go to post-EMR. And (presumably) they could have been leased at a peppercorn rate too.

Any spare Avanti 221s not going to XC would be the only other possibility once the 805s come into service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainman40083

Wasn’t this addressed to an extent by the 180s (despite their reputation)? The fact they weren’t kept on means that nothing will get done on the IC side in terms of stop-gap - keeping the 180s would have been the easy solution seeing as they had no home to go to post-EMR. And (presumably) they could have been leased at a peppercorn rate too.

Any spare Avanti 221s not going to XC would be the only other possibility once the 805s come into service.
Well Grand Central took several of the EMR 180s on. Will be interesting to see how many Avanti 221s go to XC (heard, 5, 7 amd 12), when released. Of course some will cover those going through refurbishment....

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well Grand Central took several of the EMR 180s on. Will be interesting to see how many Avanti 221s go to XC (heard, 5, 7 amd 12), when released. Of course some will cover those going through refurbishment....

Wasn't it only 180110 which transferred to Grand Central when released, the remaining 3 examples are likely in cold storage at Ely?

Trainman40083

Wasn't it only 180110 which transferred to Grand Central when released, the remaining 3 examples are likely in cold storage at Ely?
Possibly. Could imagine they took the best of the coaches. Not the most reliable of units, I understand.

QSK19

Well Grand Central took several of the EMR 180s on.
110 went over to GC, the purpose being, AFAIK, temporary cover for the general 180 situation at GC as opposed to additional stock. Can’t help but think that the DfT should have let EMR keep them.

Anyway, back OT, has anybody seen 810001 running in electric mode? Social media and YouTube seem to show it running only in diesel mode thus far. A couple of photos floating about with its pan up at Old Dalby, but nothing else.

Last edited:

Jozhua

Established Member
Just a gentle reminder, this is a rolling stock updates thread regarding Class 810s for EMR.

To discuss anything else, please use (or create) a separate thread; anything that is speculative in nature belongs in Speculative Discussion, please.

Many thanks :)
I've been guilty of this in the past too, but it would be nice if we could keep this closer to discussion around the introduction of the units, rather than whether or not they are a good idea. Is it worth creating a thread titled 'Class 810 Discussion' in Speculative?

Established Member

I think the consensus was that the 180s were so utterly appalling in reliability terms that it was better all round to be rid of them.

One particular conversation with a signaller springs to mind, heading south into Leicester in a 222, and being replatformed due to yet another 180 failure: “we’re placing bets in the box on where the next one will sit down”.

They really were utterly shocking.

Energy

Established Member
I think the consensus was that the 180s were so utterly appalling in reliability terms that it was better all round to be rid of them.
180s only did a peak Nottingham, right? IIRC they ran as a pair.

Established Member
180s only did a peak Nottingham right? IIRC they ran as a pair.

They pretty much interworked with the meridians, I think? I didn’t sign them, but they seemed to get about. Including a comedy moment for me of working the same job two days in a row, and both days being delayed at Pancras, on a Nottingham service, because two 180 sets wouldn’t couple to form the Sheffield working.

Last edited: